2011 dr 650 !!!!

50 replies to this topic
  • artguy

Posted July 30, 2010 - 09:10 AM

After taking a year off for development and testing Suzuki has announced the 2011 DR 650 with a new tank decal! :smirk:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/

Actually, I'm just relieved to see it back.

• pacaver

Posted July 30, 2010 - 10:32 AM

Sounds good to me. When they do finally update it, lets hope they don't add 49 pounds of extra weight and fragile plastic like Kawasaki did to their KLR650.

• mxrob

Posted July 30, 2010 - 10:39 AM

After taking a year off for development and testing Suzuki has announced the 2011 DR 650 with a new tank decal! :smirk:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/

Actually, I'm just relieved to see it back.

Dude! They obviously made a huge improvement to the bike

"On the street, the DR650SE is a joy to ride. Its engine has a counterbalancer for remarkably smooth operation, and it has a comfortable seat and spacious riding position. " :smirk:

• artguy

Posted July 30, 2010 - 11:18 AM

Dude! They obviously made a huge improvement to the bike

"On the street, the DR650SE is a joy to ride. Its engine has a counterbalancer for remarkably smooth operation, and it has a comfortable seat and spacious riding position. " :smirk:

Oh Yeah! and this too: Its technologically advanced chassis and suspension systems help provide you with precise control on tight trails or open fire roads. This thing is cutting edge!

• mxrob

Posted July 30, 2010 - 12:23 PM

Oh Yeah! and this too: Its technologically advanced chassis and suspension systems help provide you with precise control on tight trails or open fire roads. This thing is cutting edge!

It's pretty obvious this machine is all new then. :smirk: But I'm with you... I'm glad they didn't just hit the delete key on the line-up keyboard for 2011.... or do some crazy added do-dad crap without really improving the machine. Best they just leave it alone until they decided to make some real improvements... or not. :smirk:

• Bob Onit

Posted July 30, 2010 - 03:44 PM

or do some crazy added do-dad crap without improving the machine.

Posted Image ..... They could have tried to transform it into some sort of a KLR type thing... :eek:

Oh..... the Humanity! :banana:

Edited by Bob Onit, July 30, 2010 - 04:45 PM.

• mxrob

Posted July 30, 2010 - 03:57 PM

Yeah, one of those is all that is required to fill the niche ya know? :banana:

• foxfire

Posted July 30, 2010 - 05:15 PM

The way I see it, one more model year to search for when looking for parts to rebuild mine in 20 years. :banana:

• XR_RON

Posted July 30, 2010 - 07:34 PM

It must be a pretty dam good machine to begin with,Im very happy with mine so far,Ive been riding a XR250 w/home made dual sport kit from a 96 XR250L parts bike since 05,so you can just Imagine what it feels like to me when Jump on the 650 and go to the post office,its like WoW.

• toddszr600

Posted July 31, 2010 - 10:29 AM

We did have 2010,s here in Canada. Didnt have fancy upgrades like the 2011 though, lol. Gotta say something about it if they still sell after almost 20 years with no changes.

• mxrob

Posted July 31, 2010 - 11:44 AM

Yep, it says a bunch of old fudy dudy's stuck back in time 2 decades ago are still riding.... LOL!

• kc4sox

Posted July 31, 2010 - 04:24 PM

They need to come out with a Supermoto version.

• T30

Posted August 01, 2010 - 11:56 AM

+1 Supermoto version with about 60HP at the rear wheel.

• cva4259

Posted August 01, 2010 - 03:14 PM

It must be a pretty dam good machine to begin with,Im very happy with mine so far,Ive been riding a XR250 w/home made dual sport kit from a 96 XR250L parts bike since 05,so you can just Imagine what it feels like to me when Jump on the 650 and go to the post office,its like WoW.

Looks to me like all the companies pretty much ignore the 650 line. All the development is into the smaller MX machines or the larger dual sport bikes. I don't think that will change, this bike is in a strange gray area if you ask me. I'm happy with the bike as it is, what more could you do do it? Everything they can do, I can do. Larger tank, luggage rack, skid plate,,,,etc etc. I don't think they could really improve much more then that or would. Unless they want to offer up some motar versioin like the 400.

• 28marcb

Posted August 01, 2010 - 07:28 PM

Wish list:

Modern suspension, ie. inverted 48mm closed chamber kayaba sss forks, shock with 50mm shaft and adjustable rebound, comp. and high speed comp. While a high tech motor may cause reliability issues, suspension probably won't..

A removable subframe made from lighter material, without compromising strength

Improved head design with larger valves.

Modern carb..

and finally; a much lighter but, equally quiet exhaust

My dream bike, gotta build it myself though..

• fishpost19

Posted August 02, 2010 - 01:17 AM

Wish list:

Modern suspension, ie. inverted 48mm closed chamber kayaba sss forks, shock with 50mm shaft and adjustable rebound, comp. and high speed comp. While a high tech motor may cause reliability issues, suspension probably won't..

A removable subframe made from lighter material, without compromising strength

Improved head design with larger valves.

Modern carb..

and finally; a much lighter but, equally quiet exhaust

My dream bike, gotta build it myself though..

+1 to everything you mentioned. Suspension is the main thing I reckon, even if they just use the adjustable conventional forks that they've been using in the DRZs for years. A bit of adjustability would be great. And rebound adjustment on the shock.

• tomit

Posted August 02, 2010 - 09:20 AM

A larger alternator is not available in the aftermarket. It Zuki offered a 400 watt replacement for ~$350 I'd buy it.

• donwann

Posted August 04, 2010 - 10:18 PM

Better suspension, better seat, and free breathing top end, and fuel injection!!!

• donwann

Posted August 04, 2010 - 10:22 PM

Yea, fuel injection! If Rob can come up with a workable home brew injection system for the big DR, there is no reason why the highly competent engineers at Suzuki couldn't do it for a slight cost increase.

• NordieBoy

Posted August 04, 2010 - 10:58 PM

Posted Image ..... They could have tried to transform it into some sort of a KLR type thing... ;)

Oh..... the Humanity! :eek:

Yeah, one of those is all that is required to fill the niche ya know? :banana:

It was called the Freewind.

But really it was closer to the KLE range.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.