01 yz426 with 06 yz450 ex cam

4 replies to this topic
  • cycometto

Posted July 29, 2010 - 07:29 AM

I know I know not another cam question, but trust me ive spent days serching and cant find the anwser. So I just picked up a 01 426 and really would like to do the DCM mod. now I know the 03 to 05 is a no brainer as is the hotcam, but what about the 06 to 09 shouldn't that work as well?
reason I ask is if you check part numbers on hotcams site they are all the same for 03-09 yz450f, and we all know the 03 to 05 works so i should be good right?

Please reply if you have know the facts
Thnx!

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2010 - 09:14 AM

The later cams also work, but you may not care for the results if you use one later than '06. Starting with the '06, each year model up to '08 was progressively more biased toward high rpm power as opposed to low rpm grunt. The '03-'05 grind was very compatible with the 426 intake, and the '06 would most likely be a good match for it as well, but the '07 or '08-'09 probably not so much.

IMO, because of the increase in prices of new Yamaha parts, the inadvisability of using used cams, and the increased simplicity of installing the aftermarket cams, I think I'd use a Hot Cams stage I exhaust cam instead.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cycometto

Posted July 29, 2010 - 11:51 AM

very good info, thank you sir.

you might be right with the hotcam over OEM, Prices are so close why not get a new one right?

again thank you.
by the way I'm new here as you can tell and new to the hole Mx bike thing. Looking forward to picking more brains as I go. Yz426 is my first ever dirt bike and its already put me on my ass a couple times :smirk: but man this is just so much funner than street riding.

• sacfelix

Posted July 30, 2010 - 08:48 AM

I used the ex cam from my 06 and installed it in a buddies 99 YZ400 and it worked great. I bought the plug for the old decomp lever and now she starts so easy.

• niterider40

Posted August 01, 2010 - 11:40 PM

I've got 01 426 Had to time it three times. Have a heavy fly wheel and 04 450 cam,,, good luck it rips.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.