Looking at a '03 WR450

4 replies to this topic
  • oregonroad

Posted July 28, 2010 - 10:49 PM

I know this question must come every couple of weeks. Thanks for your patience.

I'm looking to get a used WR450. I see a lot of '06 - '08 in the $3.2k +/- range. I found a '03 for $2k. Claims to be well maintained, used mostly for trails and to have roughly 200 hrs.

I've asked to have a mechanic check it out and give a written report.

My concern is the engine. What are the odds that I'm going to be putting money into the engine in the next 12 months?

Also, any other issues to watch out for.

• davidl9999

Posted July 28, 2010 - 10:59 PM

What are the odds that I'm going to be putting money into the engine in the next 12 months?

99% :smirk:

Just like any other used thumper, it's going to depend a lot on how the bike was taken care of. Plan to have some extra $$ for doing the valves and keep an eye on them. Disassemble, clean, and lube everything and that '03 should last you a good long time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YOSH_DRZ_449

Posted August 02, 2010 - 04:55 AM

03 has starter gear issue, see more info on this thread!!!! Easy fix, Replace w/ 04!!

• PBDBLUE

Posted August 02, 2010 - 05:45 AM

03 has starter gear issue, see more info on this thread!!!! Easy fix, Replace w/ 04!!

Yes the '03 did have the starter issue. If the upgrade to '04 parts has not already been done plan on spending around $200 and do it straight away. Other than that they are very robust bikes if well cared for. Be aware that with any of the modern 4 strokes it's a pretty good chunk of change to rebuild the motor if it comes to that.

Here's an old thread about the starter issue. There used to be a website with pics of the mod but it appears to be gone now.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=303319

• starfish

Posted August 03, 2010 - 10:54 AM

Lets see a 03 for 2000 or a 07 with all the right modes for 3200 with riding gear. You know you can replace all the plastic for 120 or so.........

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.