02 Yz426 slipping?

4 replies to this topic
  • LancoRider726

Posted July 28, 2010 - 09:59 AM

Hey I have a 2002 yz426f. Bought it a few days back. I was riding on some trails and took a short cut on a road back to the truck and trailer. When I got up into 5th and rolled on up to about 3/4 throttle, the bike started to skip. As if the chain had a bad kink or somthing like that. My buddy said just put a new clutch in it but I didn't wanna spend 60+ and that not be the problem. Thanks for any input.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2010 - 11:02 AM

The most likely cause is a worn set of locking lugs on the 3rd and 5th main shaft gears (pinions). They get rounded over and will no longer hold in under a load. As they force themselves out of engagement, they bend the shift fork as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LancoRider726

Posted July 28, 2010 - 02:30 PM

fml. Its very harmonic. Happens about every second.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2010 - 02:31 PM

It's not the clutch. It only happens in 5th, right?

It's the transmission.

• 09speeddemon

Posted July 28, 2010 - 07:29 PM

If it does it in other gears check your sprockets and make sure the teeth are not rounded or broken.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.