Can this bearing be saved?

27 replies to this topic
  • myoung

Posted August 02, 2010 - 01:45 PM

That bearing looks worse than the one I changed out, and mine was pitted beyond being able to reuse it. Maybe if I was desperate, but not in a normal maintenance scenario. Also, when you consider the only way to get the new style seal so this doesn't happen again (theoretically) is to replace the bearing, and there's really not much cause in discussing it any further. Those pics show up just fine on my monitor, and I can tell that bearing is trash.

I was going to get the Pivot Works set, but the shop I was at couldn't verify if it was a new style with a sample (nothing in stock and generic photo in catalog) so I just went ahead and got the OEM. The cost difference was negligible for me, Pivot Works was about $50 and OEM was about $85, and I was able to find the parts that day. I had to go to two different dealers in two different counties to get them, :banana: but it beat waiting a week for the PW's.

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted August 02, 2010 - 02:20 PM

are you guys using a chisel like it shows in the manual to remove the lower bearing? if so did it mess the bearing up?

• cowboyona426

Posted August 02, 2010 - 03:37 PM

I guess I'm lucky that there wasn't a single rust spot on the lower race or bearing... I'll try to keep that spin on it when swallowing the cost of a new upper bearing :banana:

• myoung

Posted August 02, 2010 - 03:46 PM

are you guys using a chisel like it shows in the manual to remove the lower bearing? if so did it mess the bearing up?

I used a press to push the stem out, then pressed it back in and pressed on the bearing with a piece of pipe. Super easy that way. :banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBrown626

Posted August 02, 2010 - 04:58 PM

I went to roll my bike across the garage the other day and the bars felt tighter than normal when turning... I knew right off what the problem was. Tore it apart yesterday and whaddya know...

Posted Image

Should have bought that updated 07 seal a long time ago... anywho do you think this bearing is salvageable or not? This pic was before I wiped the grease off, I'm thinking it (and the race) are a lost cause. I wiped as much grease out as I could and it still had a bit of a notchy feel to it. The race is okay but has minor pitting in one area.
I know the pic isn't the best but the wife's camera wasn't cooperating... you'd think an expensive DSLR could do better :eek:

Save your upper and lower bearings to make a great race driver. Buy a foot of 1/2" all-thread, two nuts and a couple thick washers. Now put a nut on the all thread, drop a washer on it, then the lower bearing. Feed it through your steering head. Place the upper bearing on the top, then add the washer and the nut. Just tighten the nuts to drive bearing races into position. Much cheaper than a store-bought special press.:banana:

• cowboyona426

Posted August 03, 2010 - 06:32 AM

Save your upper and lower bearings to make a great race driver. Buy a foot of 1/2" all-thread, two nuts and a couple thick washers. Now put a nut on the all thread, drop a washer on it, then the lower bearing. Feed it through your steering head. Place the upper bearing on the top, then add the washer and the nut. Just tighten the nuts to drive bearing races into position. Much cheaper than a store-bought special press.:banana:

Great idea!

• MrBlahh

Posted August 03, 2010 - 06:42 AM

I guess I'm lucky that there wasn't a single rust spot on the lower race or bearing... I'll try to keep that spin on it when swallowing the cost of a new upper bearing :banana:

then why replace?

• cowboyona426

Posted August 03, 2010 - 08:13 AM

then why replace?

Upper one is trashed, lower one is fine. I only plan on replacing the upper.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.