Can this bearing be saved?

27 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted July 28, 2010 - 08:45 AM

I went to roll my bike across the garage the other day and the bars felt tighter than normal when turning... I knew right off what the problem was. Tore it apart yesterday and whaddya know...

Posted Image

Should have bought that updated 07 seal a long time ago... anywho do you think this bearing is salvageable or not? This pic was before I wiped the grease off, I'm thinking it (and the race) are a lost cause. I wiped as much grease out as I could and it still had a bit of a notchy feel to it. The race is okay but has minor pitting in one area.
I know the pic isn't the best but the wife's camera wasn't cooperating... you'd think an expensive DSLR could do better :smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2010 - 10:29 AM

Clean it up, and if it has no pits in the rollers, no pits in the cup, and seems to run smoothly with a little oil, you might be OK.

BTW, it's not the top seal that was changed. A seal was added to the upper bearing itself. The right number is 93332-00078-00

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted July 28, 2010 - 12:15 PM

just had the same problem the other day on mine. tore it all down and the top looked decent but undergreased from the factory. the lower was about as half as bad as yours. i wiped the old off and repacked them with my bearing packer. put it all together and all is good. some diesel would probably clean that up pretty good if you soaked it.

• Wiz636

Posted July 28, 2010 - 12:47 PM

BTW, it's not the top seal that was changed. A seal was added to the upper bearing itself. The right number is 93332-00078-00

Interestingly enough, I just today had my son's '09 apart to regrease the head bearings and the upper bearing had no seal. Pretty sure my '08 does not either. :smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2010 - 02:35 PM

There were still bikes being built with the old bearing as late as 2009. Can't explain it. The service bearings are almost universally the new design, even if looked up under the old number (which Yamaha STILL shows in the catalog). Just be sure you specify the 93332-00078-00 and not the 93332-00068-00.

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted July 28, 2010 - 04:53 PM

yeah no seal here on the upper either..2007

• myoung

Posted July 28, 2010 - 09:53 PM

Interestingly enough, I just today had my son's '09 apart to regrease the head bearings and the upper bearing had no seal. Pretty sure my '08 does not either. :smirk:

My '09 didn't have it either. Went to do a service on it at 20 hours and it was toast. New everything top to bottom. I'll be checking it again at 60 hours, we'll see how it looks. So far, at 45 hours steering is still smooth as butter

• cowboyona426

Posted August 02, 2010 - 07:02 AM

Better pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2010 - 07:32 AM

Ugly

Unsalvageable :banana:

Replace it.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 02, 2010 - 07:37 AM

Any chance of being able to cross reference it and purchase it somewhere besides Yamaha, and does it come with a new race?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rider315

Posted August 02, 2010 - 07:44 AM

I've had the same problem with my '06. To get by, I've taken the bearing and cleaned it up with the wire brush side on my grinder - then used a scotchbrite pad to clean up the race. Grease the hell out of it, and it will run pretty smooth, just don't over tighten it. You're probably going to want to order a replacement at some point, but I wouldn't be afraid of running it temporarily. Just the 'ugly' side of dirt bike maintenance.

- Chris
www.rider315.com

• rider315

Posted August 02, 2010 - 07:47 AM

Any chance of being able to cross reference it and purchase it somewhere besides Yamaha, and does it come with a new race?

All Balls makes a replacement kit: http://www.rockymoun...rodFamilyId=586

Unfortunately, the race is not included.

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2010 - 07:53 AM

It does come as a complete bearing with an outer race, yes. Both the upper and lower do, and this is typically the only way tapered roller bearings are sold.

I doubt that you'll be able to find a cross reference since this bearing was a custom spec'd piece for Yamaha. If you do find one, it will probably cost as much if not more through the outside source.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 02, 2010 - 08:01 AM

All Balls makes a replacement kit: http://www.rockymoun...rodFamilyId=586

Unfortunately, the race is not included.

That kit is as much as Yamaha wants for just the upper bearing, but I need the race too... oh well I need to order a float bowl gasket and a few other things anyways.

• rider315

Posted August 02, 2010 - 08:32 AM

That kit is as much as Yamaha wants for just the upper bearing, but I need the race too... oh well I need to order a float bowl gasket and a few other things anyways.

You may want to consider the All Balls unit, as it has a self-contained outer race... so you won't need to replace your poochy stock race. Pivot works makes a similar version, but it's slightly more expensive.

- Chris

• MrBlahh

Posted August 02, 2010 - 08:58 AM

if there's no rust on the bearings themselves, either race, and there's no abnormal play, I would clean it with some navel jelly, grease it good, and use it. A little rust on the taper roller cage aint gonna hurt anything and will wipe off with some navel jelly

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2010 - 09:06 AM

There is rather obviously rust damage to the bearing (pics on the bottom of page 1).

If the All Balls or Pivot Works bearings kits don't include the sealed upper, there's really no point in having them. I would look at one IRL before ordering one blind.

• MrBlahh

Posted August 02, 2010 - 09:08 AM

There is rather obviously rust damage to the bearing (pics on the bottom of page 1).

If the All Balls or Pivot Works bearings kits don't include the sealed upper, there's really no point in having them. I would look at one IRL before ordering one blind.

too hard to tell in the picture, it looks like all the rust is from the taper roller cage, and simply transfered to other parts, if there's no pitting to the rollers or either race it's fine

it's not uncommon, the cage is crappy metal that'll rust, the rollers and races are hardened metal that does not rust anywhere near as easily, navel jelly and check for pitting if it was my money being spent

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2010 - 09:13 AM

Might be hard for you to tell, but I have no trouble with it. You couldn't pay me to run that bearing.

• MrBlahh

Posted August 02, 2010 - 09:14 AM

Might be hard for you to tell, but I have no trouble with it. You couldn't pay me to run that bearing.

a low resolution picture is simply not going to show pitting, I would clean it before I pissed away money

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.