Remove light scratches from Plastic

6 replies to this topic
  • crush6742

Posted July 27, 2010 - 03:50 PM

What's the best way to remove light scratches from the plastic on a bike? I have an '08 yz450f, and would like to put graphics on the bike, I would like to remove some light scratches first. I'm looking at the Flu Design graphics. Has anyone used these?

• clutchless

Posted July 27, 2010 - 03:55 PM

there are numerous over the counter products available at your hardware store and cycle shop.

i find the next crash you take really does a good job of hiding the scratches from the crash before.

• ron_m

Posted July 27, 2010 - 03:58 PM

there are numerous over the counter products available at your hardware store and cycle shop.

i find the next crash you take really does a good job of hiding the scratches from the crash before.

Clutchless,

Your suggested technique seems to be working pretty good for me too! :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted July 27, 2010 - 04:37 PM

Wet sand the plastic. Start somewhat coarse and go progressively finer. Then apply something like Plastic Renew or Mop N Glo with a rag and the plastic will look as good as new. I've heard of people using Eagle 1 NevrDull wadding polish on the plastic.

• nwbikerider

Posted July 27, 2010 - 07:36 PM

Why would you worry about light scratches if you're going to put graphics over them? The material is 15 or 20 mil thick. But... a good product for making plastic shine is Plexus.

• BBrown626

Posted July 30, 2010 - 06:02 AM

The best way to get rid of any scratch is buying new plastic. The next best option is buying a decal to cover it up. Save your time and $$$. Those other solutions DONT work.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 30, 2010 - 07:50 AM

What's the best way to remove light scratches from the plastic on a bike? I have an '08 yz450f, and would like to put graphics on the bike, I would like to remove some light scratches first. I'm looking at the Flu Design graphics. Has anyone used these?

Dude, you are going to spend WAY too much effort to buff/sand scratches from your plastic, only to take a stupid low side and trash all your efforts. However if you insist, i've used this on plastic windshields with awesome results :

http://www.novuspolish.com/

I highly recommend an air powered mini buffer if possible..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.