WR400F - No spark after cam chain replacement

7 replies to this topic
  • falkz89

Posted July 27, 2010 - 01:17 AM

Hey guys,

I recently changed the cam chain in my WR400F, and after getting it back together I'm not get any spark at all! All the wiring seems to be fine, and the coil is grounded fine aswell. My Trailtech computer isn't flicking it's light on like it usually would while I try to kick it over either. I'm beginning to think I may have damaged the stator when removing the flywheel? I've heard it's possible to bolt the puller bolts in too far and damage wires? If so, I didn't notice it while I had it off. I'll pull it off again tomorrow and take a look, god damn it... I don't suppose having my timing out would affect it? Although I'm pretty sure it's fine, I'm yet to check it.

Any ideas would be great, thanks!

<checks bank balance for possible costs on a new stator> :smirk:

Cheers, Marc

• William1

Posted July 27, 2010 - 03:03 AM

I'd pull the left cover back off. Look for a pinched wire or other error.

The puller only threads into the center of the flywheel... you dd not use anything other than the factory style puller did you?

• falkz89

Posted July 27, 2010 - 04:29 AM

This is the exact puller I used by motion pro:

http://www.motionpro.../partno/08-0160

Although the stupid leverage handle did break off while trying to remove the flywheel. Therefore I had to use an impact wrench on it to remove it - a little more forcefully. I don't believe that method did any damage though. I'll pull the side out of it again tomorrow and see what it looks like. A pain in the rear!

• William1

Posted July 27, 2010 - 06:27 AM

To use a pullter, after the bolts or mount is secured, you tighten the center bolt, then rap it with a hammer, then tighyten the center bolt, rap and repeat until it pops off. If you just try to crank down on the center bolt, it ban breat he puller, strip the threads or warp the flywheel. I would also check for a waped flywheel when you have the cover off. Easy to do, remove the sparplug, put the bike in fithf gear and rotate the rear tire. Watch the flywheel for any signs of wobble.

BTW, this is a factory style puller.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • falkz89

Posted July 27, 2010 - 11:31 PM

To use a pullter, after the bolts or mount is secured, you tighten the center bolt, then rap it with a hammer, then tighyten the center bolt, rap and repeat until it pops off. If you just try to crank down on the center bolt, it ban breat he puller, strip the threads or warp the flywheel. I would also check for a waped flywheel when you have the cover off. Easy to do, remove the sparplug, put the bike in fithf gear and rotate the rear tire. Watch the flywheel for any signs of wobble.

BTW, this is a factory style puller.

Thanks for the info mate, I'll keep that in mind when I pull it off again. It's too cold and wet to do it tonight, so I'll see how the rest of the weeks turns out. <sigh>

• falkz89

Posted January 06, 2011 - 12:45 AM

Well after my last post the bike went in the shed and hasn't been touched up until now. So anyway, today I pulled the flywheel off to take a look at it all again. Stupidly enough I realised it wasn't seated right :busted: , which led me to believe that was the reason why it wouldn't spark; which in all senses should have been. After double checking everything and making sure it was right. I put it back together and tried again for a spark. Alas, nothing.

From what I've gathered now, I think I may have a busted stator and/or flywheel. You see, when I first pulled the flywheel off, the sleeve that's seated on the inside of it covering the magnets had a broken tab, and it came completely out of the flywheel. After speaking to a mechanic, I found out that the sleeve is supposed to be glued inside the flywheel so I went home and lined up the old glue marks and glued it back in hoping this would do the trick. Unfortunately not.

For the most part I think the flywheel should be okay, even with the broken tab on the sleeve. From memory, I think the tab may have been broken before I pulled it apart, and it always ran fine before this.

My other suspicion is the stator itself. Looking at the main coil for the stator, the side has been slightly damaged with a possible broken wire? I'm not sure whether one of the 3 bolts holding the puller on protruded far enough through the flywheel to cause this damage, or whether it's always been there. If one of the bolts did protrude far enough in, then it certainly could have damaged the coil when I turned the flywheel. But as far as I can see, the bolts only go about 3-4mm through the flywheel itself. I'm not sure if this would be enough to damage the coil?

Whether the damage on the main coil is even sufficient to prevent the bike from creating a spark is another question altogether.

I'll upload some photos shortly of the "fixed" flywheel and stator to get your opinions on whether the damage is severe enough to prevent a spark. If it's none of these, I'm completely baffled! :p

I'd rather not go out and buy both of these if one or the other isn't damaged! The dealer wanted $400AUD just for the flywheel alone B) . I'd hate to see what the stator is worth. Through TT I can get the flywheel for $151AUD and the stator for $276. After postage to Australia, about $510AUD for the lot. Unfortunately we have very few motorcycle wreckers around here and I've had little luck finding a decent worthwhile priced (including postage, expensive!) secondhand stator/flywheel on eBay.

I value your opinions like gold! :smirk:

• falkz89

Posted January 06, 2011 - 01:30 AM

Here are the photos:

Here is the inside "sleeve" of the flywheel. You can see how far the puller bolts extend into the flywheel.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Here is the flywheel puller I use.
Posted Image
Here is the stator and the main coil where it's damaged.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• falkz89

Posted January 06, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Well I jumped on eBay again today and managed to pick up a decent used stator and flywheel for $280AUD after postage; certainly better than the small fortune the dealer wanted for them. From everthing I've seen, it seemed to be a decent price. I'll post back here to let you all know if it done the trick. It should hopefully arrive within' the next two weeks.

After some more thought, I'm beginning to think the stator may have been on it's way out before I touched it. I just dealt the final blow. Over the last few months of use I remember all my indicators beginning to play up, and not getting enough power to keep them blinking. I'd have to hold the revs to keep them going, and a new blinker can didn't fix the issue. Anyway, let's hope this new stator and flywheel help!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.