woods riding a YZ426

7 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 31, 2001 - 07:46 AM

i got a 2001 426 and like to ride in the woods as well as motocross tracks. besides adding handgaurds what are some other things i can do to make it a better trail bike? thanks "pete"

• kmcbride

Posted January 31, 2001 - 02:32 PM

Pete,
I have a '99 and race enduros and ride 90% woods. Consider the following:
1) Change gearing, I went down one tooth if front and shortened chain for shorter wheel base. Many just go up 2-3 in back.
2) Flywheel weight I have 10 oz, but am going to 12oz.
3) Drop front forks slightly
4) Skid plate / disk guards
5) Suspension mods depending on your weight
Stock is a little firm for the woods.
6) Trim bar width.
I also went with tall/soft seat with higher bars, but I am 6'1".
Have fun it is a great woods bike!

• Jason_in_KC

Posted February 01, 2001 - 05:12 AM

The 426 is a blast in the woods, the gearing on my 01 was too high, dropped counter shaft to a 13, but this runs on the sliders more. Will probably go to a 52 rear and back to the 14 front. The suspension is a little stiff for roots and rocks, Pro-Action will be getting my forks prior to the hare scramble season around here. Get used to running it up in the meat of the rpm range. I have found the harder you can run it in the woods the better it sticks to the ground. I will be adding at least a 10oz flywheel weight myself. Gearing then suspension, you will be good to go. Enjoy!

• teamtoxic

Posted February 01, 2001 - 05:42 AM

You will probably have to have an exhaust with a USFD approved spark arrestor, at least to ride LEGALLY.
I went with the White Brothers' E-series exhaust and I'm really happy with it. Many others have gone wih this exhaust because it performs better than stock, even on the track, and offers the spark arrestor.

Just my 2cents

------------------
I'm 15, live in MI and ride a '00 426F
YZ 426's suck!(all the air they can get)
THROTTLE JOCKEY......because all golf courses should be motocross tracks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tom_N

Posted February 01, 2001 - 05:47 AM

Get a bigger gas tank... Having extra gas for those long rides could be nice :))

I have a WR tank shroud and Seat I could give you and buy your YZ Tank shroud and seat.... :D

I bought a used 98 yz that appears to have been set up for trails, it has accerbis bark busters, skid plates and has a WR tank, seat and shroud.. I want to convert mine back.. granted I will lose the extra gas capacity but I ride mostly MX rather than trails..

If you are interested let me know.

------------------
Tom N.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 01, 2001 - 11:24 AM

ok thanks, i'll let ya know if i decide i need a bigger tank. how much does a 10oz. flywheel usually cost? i'm gonna order one soon i kinda wanted an idea though. would you guys recomend renthal twin walls or pro-tapers? your input would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot
pete

• aag800

Posted February 01, 2001 - 06:36 PM

If you have the cash and want to kill two hondas with one stone, then you could buy a e-line lighting coil. It adds 12 oz. to the flywheel and obviously gives you lights. It is $490 but I just put one on my '99 and it's a pretty solid unit. Actually, for $680 I got the coil, headlight, taillight, regulator, harness and a IMS 3.2 gallon tank as the "enduro" kit that e-line offers. If you priced it out seperately, you save some major cash. Looking forward to those summer night rides! Hope this helps you out. Later.

• kmcbride

Posted February 01, 2001 - 07:18 PM

BTW, you can also buy a new stator/lighting coil for the YZ for around $225.00. It is compatable with fly-wheel weight and no change in side case cover like E-line. Try www.mxsouth.com if intertested.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.