anyone come from 09 kx450 to the 10yz?

19 replies to this topic
  • kawimoto314

Posted July 25, 2010 - 01:38 PM

whats your thought on the change? i like the way the yamahas look once they get some black wheels pipe and graphics. but not many people around here have them.

• drewbbie

Posted July 25, 2010 - 04:50 PM

how do u think it handles vs the kx
handling power suspention all the stuff how does it compaire?

• Jeepentj

Posted July 25, 2010 - 07:17 PM

I have a 2010 YZ and my buddy has a 2009 KX. They're both good bikes and each has its strong point. The KX is all about the motor and feels considerably more powerful than the YZ (although the YZ does have more low end). The handling and suspension on the YZ feels significantly better than the KX though.

Overall, I think the YZ is a better package but if you're all about the motor, I'd seriously consider the KX. Again, both great bikes though.

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 25, 2010 - 10:25 PM

if you're all about the motor, I'd seriously consider the KX.

Or P.P.P.P

Port, Polish, Pipe and Piston it.

A wise man once told me "it is easy to make a slow bike fast, but you can not make a bike with bad geometry turn"

• YamaLink

Posted July 26, 2010 - 07:33 AM

My brother has the KX450F. In stock form the '10 Kawi motor feels like a dragster compared to the YZF. Even the 09 KXF vs the 08 KXF is night and day; I liken the 10 YZF to that 08 KX in terms of motor "feel." Easier to ride at least for me, especially longer durations.

• grayracer513

Posted July 26, 2010 - 07:46 AM

The '03 YZ450 notoriously "felt like a dragster" compared to the later models. In fact, however, it's down as much as 4 HP to some of those later units. You can't always go by what it feels like.

• kawimoto314

Posted July 26, 2010 - 03:14 PM

i have the 09 kx. i was more wondering if people that switched to the yz or rode one liked it or dis liked it significantly better than the kx.
thanks for the input guys.

• ZéPovinho

Posted July 27, 2010 - 02:13 PM

The '03 YZ450 notoriously "felt like a dragster" compared to the later models. In fact, however, it's down as much as 4 HP to some of those later units. You can't always go by what it feels like.

it sure did...

• adamdf

Posted July 28, 2010 - 02:00 PM

i too am actually interested in the same thing..i sold my 09 kawi 450 and now am on a 2010 kx250F simply because the 09 450 is kind of a bit pig-ish on dry tighter courses and i didnt want to deal with that anymore......the 250F is much nicer in the corners but i still like 450s and haven't had a chance to test ride the YZ since none of my friends have one, i'm mainly interested in the cornering differences, i dont care about the motor comparison, its childs play to create more power, handling is the head ache if you can't get it right so thats my only concern....would like to know how the 10 YZ compares to the 09 kx in that sense..

• adamdf

Posted July 29, 2010 - 12:13 PM

bump ^^ anyone? Anyone at all?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • norcal_hoss

Posted July 29, 2010 - 02:24 PM

I had a 09 KX 450 but had a few bikes in between the switch to the 2010 yz450. I can def say the 10 yami turns much better than the kx450. I even had 20mm clamps on my kawi and I know for a fact my yami out turns it and handles everything in its better than the kawi did. The yami feels much lighter in the air ,in turns, on straights ect the kawi did. Your right pigish is a good word for the kawi. I dont dislike the kawi id be happy to ride anything doesnt really matter but the yz is at the top of the list as best 450 ive ever had along with the 10 ktm 450. Im gonna ride a 2011 ktm 450 back to back with my yami tomorrow cant wait to see if the ktm lost some weight or at least feels like it did with the new changes to it. The motor on the KX is violent compared to the yz but you can switch that around with the tuner in about 10 sec and have a more viloent map in it. the biggest thing for me is what i get tired on the fastest and the YZ doesnt tire me out fast like the kawi and ktm did because of the feeling of the weight. The yz is very neutral in weight feel and you can really throw it around easier.

• kawimoto314

Posted July 29, 2010 - 03:00 PM

I had a 09 KX 450 but had a few bikes in between the switch to the 2010 yz450. I can def say the 10 yami turns much better than the kx450. I even had 20mm clamps on my kawi and I know for a fact my yami out turns it and handles everything in its better than the kawi did. The yami feels much lighter in the air ,in turns, on straights ect the kawi did. Your right pigish is a good word for the kawi. I dont dislike the kawi id be happy to ride anything doesnt really matter but the yz is at the top of the list as best 450 ive ever had along with the 10 ktm 450. Im gonna ride a 2011 ktm 450 back to back with my yami tomorrow cant wait to see if the ktm lost some weight or at least feels like it did with the new changes to it. The motor on the KX is violent compared to the yz but you can switch that around with the tuner in about 10 sec and have a more viloent map in it. the biggest thing for me is what i get tired on the fastest and the YZ doesnt tire me out fast like the kawi and ktm did because of the feeling of the weight. The yz is very neutral in weight feel and you can really throw it around easier.

awesome reply, thanks.

• adamdf

Posted July 29, 2010 - 03:44 PM

Thanks a ton for that info Hoss, exactly what i was hoping to hear! thanks again :smirk:

• adamdf

Posted November 15, 2011 - 09:27 AM

i found a great deal on a left over 2011 model, new. and thought i would bump this thread up a bit.

Hoss, how did you like the ktm vs yz.

i was convinced i was going back to two strokes and was going to get the 2012 250sx ktm but i'm honestly just a yamaha guy at heart and am wondering if i should give the 11 yz450 a go. i am getting a good price on it and i know i can sell it faster than i would be able to sell a 2 stroke for the obvious reason that 4 strokes are much more in demand where i'm from.

decisions decisions, all you guys out there that may have some info to help me decide, i'd be glad for your input!

• RiderX

Posted November 15, 2011 - 04:18 PM

I'd like to hear the opinion on the KTM 450 vs the YZ450F as well......

• YamaLink

Posted November 17, 2011 - 10:47 AM

I think resale of the current KTM450 may not be the best whereas the Yamaha should be better. The KTM is a very very good bike if your riding style fits it and if you have good dealer support.

Can't wait to see what Dungey and team do for the 2013 and beyond pumpkin.

• adamdf

Posted November 21, 2011 - 06:53 PM

I got to say, making a decision here is tough. I can get a white left over 2011 for around 6k otd or a 2012 250SX for 6400.

• RiderX

Posted November 22, 2011 - 12:36 PM

I got to say, making a decision here is tough. I can get a white left over 2011 for around 6k otd or a 2012 250SX for 6400.

Definitely a tough one, and you can't go wrong with either. What's you terrain like? I would let that me the deciding factor. A lot of tight/technical trails=250SX, a lot of hill climbs and flowing trails-YZ450.

• adamdf

Posted November 22, 2011 - 08:10 PM

Definitely a tough one, and you can't go wrong with either. What's you terrain like? I would let that me the deciding factor. A lot of tight/technical trails=250SX, a lot of hill climbs and flowing trails-YZ450.

We ride mainly tighter tracks that are mainly hard packed, but i think a heavier flywheel and powervalve spring change can help the 250sx with traction, and the light weight of it would be sweet entering corners etc.

But i know the YZ should be nice too, it just wont turn inside a 250SX on tighter terrain, although it will likely accelerate our harder.....hmmmmm

• todds924

Posted November 22, 2011 - 09:10 PM

i have the 09 kx. i was more wondering if people that switched to the yz or rode one liked it or dis liked it significantly better than the kx.
thanks for the input guys.

I raced an 09 KX back to back motos with my 10 YZ and I hated the KX.
it would have been alot better if I had a little set up time though.
Motor was good, gearing was weird,suspension ok. shifter was way to short for my liking.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.