Dead 2010 YZ450F

8 replies to this topic
  • tylern10

Posted July 24, 2010 - 10:58 AM

Guys i need your help. Yesterday my son and i loaded the bikes up and headed to Pala Raceway for a day of practice. His fairly new Yamaha had some trouble starting. After what seemed like 50 kick it finally fired. He proceeded out on the track 4 0r 5 turns later the bike stalled. Since then we haven't been able to start it. On the way home we bought a new spark plug and installed it. Again after 20 or so kicks it fired and ran for maybe 3-5 seconds then died. I pulled the plug and shorted it across the top of the head and it appears that it has no spark. My guess is no spark or maybe no fuel..

Any ideas would be a big help. My son has a race next weekend. Help

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 24, 2010 - 11:08 AM

Coil pack? Injectors? Could be a mess of things

• ReedRulz

Posted July 24, 2010 - 04:01 PM

Got any gas in it? Gas turned on?

• aedwards07

Posted July 24, 2010 - 05:26 PM

If your not getting gas I would say the fuel pump died.Had the same thing happen to mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rcmxracing

Posted July 26, 2010 - 10:43 AM

Just talked to Chad from Total Control Suspension who has a ton of experience with the new yz450. He just had a situation where the bike would only rev to about 7000 rpm. It turned out to be low on oil! He tells me there's something like 12 sensors on this bike!

Did you find out what was wrong with yours?

• maxis417

Posted July 26, 2010 - 10:52 AM

Check the electrical first. Try another plug and then check the coil and the plug wire keep chasing electric thats where your problem is if the plug wouldnt fire

• moto278

Posted July 26, 2010 - 01:35 PM

Just talked to Chad from Total Control Suspension who has a ton of experience with the new yz450. He just had a situation where the bike would only rev to about 7000 rpm. It turned out to be low on oil! He tells me there's something like 12 sensors on this bike!

Did you find out what was wrong with yours?

i hear you on the oil. first got the bike and if had too much it would not want to start at all! if it did, ran crappy! my 07 yz250f is that picky, now i just dump a quart in for an oil change and clean the ss filter i use.

• tylern10

Posted July 26, 2010 - 05:46 PM

Guys the shop called me on Sunday and said that the kill switch was bad. All they did was disconnect the harness to the switch and it fired right up and as soon as they plugged the harness back in it died. $56 dollars later and she's ready for the race on sunday..

Thanks for all the tips..

• grayracer513

Posted July 26, 2010 - 09:18 PM

Reminds me a little of the old medical saying, "When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras." (don't loose sight of the simple, obvious answers just because it could be something complicated) :smirk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.