New Yamaha Owner '07 YZ450

10 replies to this topic
  • Phineas7

Posted July 23, 2010 - 03:34 AM

ok, if things go as planned, I'll be picking up a bike tomorrow morning.
The guy bought it new earlier this year put on a mega-bomb system on it, then got injure a month or so ago and has decided to switch to street for a while. I've rode with the guy once or twice and know several people that know him better and are familiar with the bike, so I have some confidence that it's in the condition he claims.

Yeah, I know it's not the latest technology and such, but I'm not fast enough to really notice. But, I am fast enough to appreciate a properly set up bike.

So, if any would like to share any Yamaha expertise on setup, or any mods that make significant improvements...I would appreciate it.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 23, 2010 - 04:45 AM

ok, if things go as planned, I'll be picking up a bike tomorrow morning.
The guy bought it new earlier this year put on a mega-bomb system on it, then got injure a month or so ago and has decided to switch to street for a while. I've rode with the guy once or twice and know several people that know him better and are familiar with the bike, so I have some confidence that it's in the condition he claims.

Yeah, I know it's not the latest technology and such, but I'm not fast enough to really notice. But, I am fast enough to appreciate a properly set up bike.

So, if any would like to share any Yamaha expertise on setup, or any mods that make significant improvements...I would appreciate it.

You will most likely hate harshness of the stock suspension unless you are around 200 lbs. based upon your experience level. After spending some seat time, you will probably need a suspension re-valve.
If you get upper body fatigue get a Scotts steering stabilizer, and if it's got the stock chain, throw it in the garbage and install a Regina ORN gold chain. That about covers it !

Edited by Polar_Bus, July 23, 2010 - 08:29 AM.

• Phineas7

Posted July 23, 2010 - 08:48 AM

The chain has already been replaced. That does seem to be a common comment in all YZ450 ads.

He did get it re-valved, I've already talked to the guy who did it concerning the differences in our weights (I'm 40 lbs lighter). He had gone to a stiffer spring (He's 210), I'm figuring I'll need to go back to stock; What do you think?

If I like the bike, I'll be selling my SXF, but I'll keep the Scott's that's on it!

Thanks,
P7

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2010 - 08:59 AM

I've already talked to the guy who did it concerning the differences in our weights (I'm 40 lbs lighter). He had gone to a stiffer spring (He's 210), I'm figuring I'll need to go back to stock; What do you think?

That makes you 170 in streets, then? If you ride pretty aggressive MX, the stock springs should work. Might be a bit on the stiff side for recreational riding.

• idahoexcr500

Posted July 26, 2010 - 08:23 AM

I bought a used 07 450F back in January. I weigh 185 WO gear so the bike is sprung ok for me. Needed to take out a couple of clicks for comp and rebound in the forks and running stock settings on the shock with 96mm sag. Forks raised 5mm in clamps with MX51 tires front and rear. I don't race so the forks were too stiff with stock clickers. The bike is very sensitive to sag so play around with it, less sag for me made the front end stick better as well as increasing stability.
Had the valves adjusted and timing chain replaced. Replaced lower oil filer bolt and clean it out each oil change. Getting to the shock and carb is tight. Watch the chain slack carefully, it does need to be 2 inches or so even if it rattles, I use the 3 finger method next to the end of the top of the chain block. Stock silencer is restrictive, mine has a DMC pipe/silencer. Power is really smooth, mellow of the bottom with good mid and top. These bikes hook up awesome, very easy to ride for a 450.
Hope this helps

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phineas7

Posted July 27, 2010 - 04:19 AM

well, you're still nearly 20lbs heavier than me. I know what to expect for static and race sag on a KTM, that's all I've ridden over the last 26 years (had an '84 XR). I hope to spend some time checking setup this weekend.

The guy had already put a full FMF Ti Megabomb system on it, so I should be good to go in that dept.

The bike is practically new, it still has the original tire and it's got more rides left in it. He bought in early this year, then injured his back a month or so ago, over jumping, and decided to get out of dirt biking and take up street.

• Phineas7

Posted July 27, 2010 - 04:23 AM

That makes you 170 in streets, then? If you ride pretty aggressive MX, the stock springs should work. Might be a bit on the stiff side for recreational riding.

I'm not a complete newb, just a middle of the road. Can't touch the "fast" guys, but can hang (although in the back) with all the "regular" guys. Of course that was on my 250F riding with all my 450 buddies, I'm hoping this will help me out.

• Wiz636

Posted July 28, 2010 - 07:52 AM

That bike is every bit as good as the 'newest technology' bikes for all but the very fastest guys.

At your weight I'd throw the stock springs back on it though. Set the sag, get the clickers dailed in, make sure the jetting is appropriate then go tear it up!

• JohnnyOfast

Posted July 28, 2010 - 03:59 PM

I bought an '07 new and while it never really turned very good it's been a great bike. almost 60 hrs and it hasn't missed a beat. I'm 160 and thought the stock suspension out of the box was nearly perfect.

oh, and after 3 years of crying about how bad it handled I just got an '08 frame on ebay cheap. :smirk:

• farmerjohn42

Posted October 27, 2010 - 09:06 PM

Did the 07s have head problems or did I hear a fictictous rumor?

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2010 - 09:12 PM

Rumor.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.