6.0L vortec

What are everyone's opinions on the 6.0 vortec chevy motor? I'm looking at a 2010 3500HD dually with the 6.0 and I want to know if it is going to be ok, or an absolute turd. I don't tow everyday or even weekly, but occassionally I would haul my 10,000# tractor and gooseneck or round bales of hay/cattle. I know mileage would suck and I probably wouldn't be in a hurry, but will the 6.0 do that? If I could justify the extra money I'd get the duramax, but I'm not towing everyday.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are everyone's opinions on the 6.0 vortec chevy motor? I'm looking at a 2010 3500HD dually with the 6.0 and I want to know if it is going to be ok, or an absolute turd. I don't tow everyday or even weekly, but occassionally I would haul my 10,000# tractor and gooseneck or round bales of hay/cattle. I know mileage would suck and I probably wouldn't be in a hurry, but will the 6.0 do that? If I could justify the extra money I'd get the duramax, but I'm not towing everyday.

What's the most weight you'll be towing?

What's the terrain like will you be towing on?

What's your personality like...do you get frustrated (road rage) easily?

I have the 6.0 in my 3/4 HD 4x4, I pull around 10,000 (trailer's 7600+ bikes, gear, essentials, etc)...it does "ok" on the flat and struggles some on steeper inclines, 1 in particular but I try and get a little momentum before climbing it.

I would look at the bigger gasser if they still offer one...mileage is similar (<10 when hooked up) but the power is there when you need it without the extra cost of a diesel...

If you can get the duramax it will make your life much easier, plus the mpg are much better. If you cant then the 6.0 should be able to tow what you want but it will be hard on the truck especially on hills and I dont think you could go any faster than 60.

I have 2500 hd 4x4 with 6.0 litre motor and I would say it's a turd. This motor and the GM bailout have made me switch from Chevy to Ford and I thought I'd die before that happened. The motor has been nothing but trouble and has the worst fuel mileage

The 6.0 is a great engine, and tows well, just not as good as a duramax obviously. If a guy was towing 10,000+ weekly I'd probably recommend going diesel. For the rest of us that just tow occasionally, the 6.0 will do the job just fine, you might just be a few mph slower and a gear lower by the time you reach the top of the grade.

Reliability wise, you won't find much better than the 6.0.

The Chevy 6.0L is a great motor and tows our 24 foot toyhauler, bikes and gear just fine with A/C on 17 mpg average. If I was towing 10k lbs. + in wieght I might consider a diesel. I did tow a 34 foot travel trailer with a wieght distribution hitch once moving it for a friend for about 45 miles and my truck did just fine. You could tell there was some wieght there but had no problem and the tranny. never got over 180 degrees. I only bought the gasser cause it was half the price of a diesel. The whole diesel vs. gas thing is over rated as they are both good but also both have there issues, recalls and warranty problems. personally if I was going to buy a diesel it would be a dodge as that is the only true diesel motor built from the ground up. Chevy duramax is an isuzu motor and fords diesel is well....? but it works for what it is.

Good luck on your purchase

The Chevy 6.0L is a great motor and tows our 24 foot toyhauler, bikes and gear just fine with A/C on 17 mpg average. If I was towing 10k lbs. + in wieght I might consider a diesel. I did tow a 34 foot travel trailer with a wieght distribution hitch once moving it for a friend for about 45 miles and my truck did just fine. You could tell there was some wieght there but had no problem and the tranny. never got over 180 degrees. I only bought the gasser cause it was half the price of a diesel. The whole diesel vs. gas thing is over rated as they are both good but also both have there issues, recalls and warranty problems. personally if I was going to buy a diesel it would be a dodge as that is the only true diesel motor built from the ground up. Chevy duramax is an isuzu motor and fords diesel is well....? but it works for what it is.

17mpg average?!?! If I could get a 6.0l gasser to do that I would buy one this instant! What is your secret?

My 07 6.0 gets between 7-15 mpg. Has been in dealership over fuel pump failures and excessive oil usage along with fun knocking noises since it had 40K miles on it. The dealer says the noise is "normal" and that using a quart of oil in 1500 miles is not excessive.

17mpg average?!?! If I could get a 6.0l gasser to do that I would buy one this instant! What is your secret?

yeah thats what i thought, a 6L gas towing that much, no way your getting 17....my 5.3 dosent even get that not towing anything:lol:

For real? 17? towing a 24 foot trailer? i am sorry but i find that hard to believe, my dad bought a used GMC 2500 a few years back with like 150,000 on it and i just bought it from him a few weeks ago with 216,000 now, and we have never got above 16. even running premium and driving real nice. i generally get about 13-15 driving empty. pulling a trailer <10 depending on the trailer and how heavy.

Oh and it is all original even with all those miles it has never had a motor or tranny problem. i am pretty good at maintence though and i feel like this pickup is going to drive for a lot longer. so in my opinion they are a very reliable motor.

I think it is a pretty good motor but it is still a chevy small block and needs to be would to make power. from what i hear and read these motors really wake up with a chip and i would like to try it but its just coming up with the money.

My 07 6.0 gets between 7-15 mpg. Has been in dealership over fuel pump failures and excessive oil usage along with fun knocking noises since it had 40K miles on it. The dealer says the noise is "normal" and that using a quart of oil in 1500 miles is not excessive.

Wow, thats just bizarre. I've seen 6.0s with 300,000 miles on them that didn't drink that much oil. GM fuel pumps do like to bite the dust around 125000, but thats not really an engine problem.

Between the knocking and the oil consumption, I'd bet that block was bored badly or has a flawed piston in it. The 6.0 is considered to be one of if not the best truck engine GM's had. I'm sorry to hear you managed to find a lemon.

I gotta agree with everyone else... 17mpg average is a bit out there for a 6.0 Mine has averaged mid 14s over the last 4 years... all types of driving and uses, thats about the best I've heard of a 6.0 2500HD getting.

As for the diesels offered in the 3 domestic trucks... until recently when ford started building their own all 3 were designed by long standing diesel engine manufacturers. Dodge used Cummins, GM had Isuzu design theirs and Ford had Navistar (international) design theirs. I'm not sure what you mean by dodge having the only engine that was built as a diesel from the ground up, but thats incorrect.

I gotta agree with everyone else... 17mpg average is a bit out there for a 6.0 Mine has averaged mid 14s over the last 4 years... all types of driving and uses, thats about the best I've heard of a 6.0 2500HD getting.

As for the diesels offered in the 3 domestic trucks... until recently when ford started building their own all 3 were designed by long standing diesel engine manufacturers. Dodge used Cummins, GM had Isuzu design theirs and Ford had Navistar (international) design theirs. I'm not sure what you mean by dodge having the only engine that was built as a diesel from the ground up, but thats incorrect.

I dont know what to say people but have checked it numerous time. Gets average 19mpg unloaded so that why I say I cant complain. Number of miles driven since last fill up divided by the gallons to fill the tank and thats the numbers I always get. Maybe I got lucky with this truck but in the famous words of "it is what it is".

? on the mpg...I barely get 15 unhooked on flat ground...17 mpg hooked up is quite a stretch of the imagination however that's the way it is on this site!!! ?

As for the diesel motors...I didn't know they've begun to make their own but you are correct on the previous builders...Cat was even there at one time helping Ford with theirs.

Wow, thats just bizarre. I've seen 6.0s with 300,000 miles on them that didn't drink that much oil. GM fuel pumps do like to bite the dust around 125000, but thats not really an engine problem.

Between the knocking and the oil consumption, I'd bet that block was bored badly or has a flawed piston in it. The 6.0 is considered to be one of if not the best truck engine GM's had. I'm sorry to hear you managed to find a lemon.

Mine hit 216,000 this morning and it uses a little over half a quart between oil changes.