Off-road skid plate?

12 replies to this topic
  • aag800

Posted January 29, 2001 - 05:41 PM

Just wanted to know if anyone had any recomendations on a skidplate for the YZ's. I ride on the east coast and need a plate that covers the entire underside of the frame. Every plate I have seen looks like a glide plate with wings. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Later.

• F-Pilot

Posted January 29, 2001 - 06:19 PM

I bought one for my 98 from Scott's Perf. (the steering damper guys)
Very good quality and tough! Nice thick alum.
They only use the upper and rear stock mount holes and then 2 frame clamps that scarf up the frame. I guess you could wrap it first.
I'd give it a 7 out'a 10.

• oldxmxer

Posted January 29, 2001 - 07:00 PM

Just installed a Moose on mine,fits good lots of protection.Years ago rode enduro's and I believe this would be a very good enduro plate.

• Jason_in_KC

Posted January 30, 2001 - 07:06 AM

I got a WB heavy duty, it has the skirts on each side to protect the water pump and ingition side, mounts in 2 minutes.Very tuff.Runs about 60-70 bucks.

• UTAH426

Posted January 30, 2001 - 10:55 PM

I just installed a Utah Sport Cycle skip plate on my 426. I picked it up at rockymountainmc.com for less than $60, I think. Rumor has it that Utah Sport Cycle is the manufacturer for both Moose and MSR skid plates. I hope this helps.

• UTAH426

Posted January 30, 2001 - 10:56 PM

I just installed a Utah Sport Cycle skip plate on my 426. I picked it up at rockymountainmc.com for less than $60, I think. Rumor has it that Utah Sport Cycle is the manufacturer for both Moose and MSR skid plates. I hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 30, 2001 - 05:20 PM

Utah426............
do you ride desert racing here?
hare n' hounds / hare scrambles?
St. Geo feb24/01
gettin cabin fever........feb24 can/t come soon enuf!!!!

------------------
ride BLUE

• FOX426

Posted January 30, 2001 - 06:31 PM

I'm considering the E-Line Carbon fiber skid plate. Kinda pricey at $119 but lightweight and consider the trick factor. Anyone got one or have thoughts?

------------------
The world loves talent but, pays off on character.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 31, 2001 - 04:18 AM

Yes, I have the E-Line...it is super trick, very well made, and it blends in well, barely noticeable. It has taken a few hard shots, and just flakes/dings a bit...still protects well. Highly reccomended!

• UTAH426

Posted January 31, 2001 - 08:38 AM

g4racing,
I am new to riding motorcycles, the 426 is my first bike ever. I have not tried racing, but I am interested. I ride with some guys that race desert, so I am sure that I will eventually try it.

• aag800

Posted January 31, 2001 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for all of the replys everyone. I'm still a little up in the air, but I'm leaning towards the Moose plate. Has anyone tried the DG Baja plate? I know they make some burly stuff for the quads.

• aag800

Posted February 15, 2001 - 05:27 PM

Just an update. After ordering and returning a pile of skidplates, the moose plate is on my bike. Alot of plates had their good sides, but the moose offers the best overall protection, by far. It even gives real good protection for my e-line coil! That was one of the most important things I was looking for. Anyway, thanks for the replies and I hope this helps!

• TheBOS

Posted February 16, 2001 - 06:34 AM

Anyone try the GYT-R plate?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.