Improving the 2010 turning?

11 replies to this topic
  • Phil Hannah

Posted July 21, 2010 - 06:53 PM

Any one out there that had turning issues with their 2010 work it out? Thanks

• norcal_hoss

Posted July 21, 2010 - 07:20 PM

dollar to dollar the best mod so far that ive done for the handling is the Pro circuit link. It drops the bike 10mm I set my sag to compensate that 10mm drop at 92 (so actually at 102mm) and this thing turns like nobody business. Its worth every penny imo. If it didnt work id say its a waste of money but it truly turns a good turning bike into a GREAT handling bike.:smirk:

• mediumfast

Posted July 21, 2010 - 07:25 PM

You should be specific about your handling problem. Does the front push? Does it oversteer? Where in a corner are you having the problem? What type of terrain do you ride on? Are you running the stock front tire? Is your suspension broken in? What tire pressure are you running? Is your race sag set? It's going to be hard for someone to assist unless you give more information.

To answer your question, yes, I did have problems turning my 2010 when I first got it. Once I let the suspension break-in for a few (4 or 5) hrs., replaced the front tire (the track I ride is soft), and most importantly SET THE SAG, the biked blew me away. It turns really well and is very stable at higher speeds on rough, choppy ground. The biggest advantage is that it gives you choices. If you want to go inside the bike is more than willing.

• grayracer513

Posted July 21, 2010 - 08:37 PM

Because of the degree to which Yamaha has carried their philosophy of mass centralization, you are going to find that the bike is exceptionally sensitive to every sort of small chassis adjustment, be it sag, raising the fork, even the handlebar bend, and especially rider position and input.

This was true of the '06 compared to the steel framed bikes, and it's even more true of the '10.

• Phil Hannah

Posted July 22, 2010 - 03:44 AM

Thanks for the replys. Couldnt really give suspension specifics because i have been all over.

• YamaLink

Posted July 22, 2010 - 04:54 AM

Then let's start from scratch.

How much do you weigh before gear, and what is your rear sag set at right now?

Thanks for the replys. Couldnt really give suspension specifics because i have been all over.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adamdf

Posted July 23, 2010 - 06:03 AM

dollar to dollar the best mod so far that ive done for the handling is the Pro circuit link. It drops the bike 10mm I set my sag to compensate that 10mm drop at 92 (so actually at 102mm) and this thing turns like nobody business. Its worth every penny imo. If it didnt work id say its a waste of money but it truly turns a good turning bike into a GREAT handling bike.:smirk:

Holy crap Norcal, you changed bikes again? Was wondering where you had been, how do you like the Yami compared to the 2010 KTM (that was your last bike right?)

• BBrown626

Posted July 23, 2010 - 06:46 PM

If you drop the bike 10mm and then bring it back, how is the link improving turning? Seems you are back where you started.

I found the front to be very sensitive to adjustments in fork height. pull it up a few mm from the clamp and it turns better without a tendency to dive. I have my tubes 5mm up and I am pretty happy with it.

• norcal_hoss

Posted July 23, 2010 - 07:02 PM

If you drop the bike 10mm and then bring it back, how is the link improving turning? Seems you are back where you started.

I found the front to be very sensitive to adjustments in fork height. pull it up a few mm from the clamp and it turns better without a tendency to dive. I have my tubes 5mm up and I am pretty happy with it.

Its a 1 1/2 " rising rate and lengthening the link arm, the weight distribution was moved rearward, thus improving the turning characteristics. Keeping a load on the shock letting it settle into its stroke to erase the bike’s stinkbug stance.

Bones bacon YZ 450 :
Use the shock linkage to lower the chassis, firm up the shock’s damping curve, calm the bike down and allow for a wider range of fork height and race sag options. This is a great idea and vastly improved the ergos, handling and feel of the YZ450F. Best of all, it stopped the wiggle on the entrance to corners (when combined with adjustment to sag and fork height).Linkage. Even if you don’t have your suspension worked on (and for a large number of people, the stock SSS suspension is more than adequate), consider getting the longer Pro Circuit shock linkage. This is the same trick that everyone from the factory team to privateers used on the 2009 CRF450 to stop it from stink bugging. Although it might seem that the linkage is a suspension mod, it is really more of a handling fix. It brings the rear of the chassis down, which levels the bike out, balances the front and rear, takes some of the load off the front forks and allows the frame geometry to be changed across a wider range of angles. Good stuff.

Now I didnt buy it because Bones Bacon said this, I bought from riding a buddies bike set up just like mine. And two other friend running said it was a great mod. So I tried it myself and im happy. Maybe yours is perfect stock with raising the forks which is great but im happy with the link and what it did for me.:smirk: I couldnt set it at 102mm because it defeats what the link is doing which is putting a load on the rear.Im gonna try some different sag settings tomorrow at Hangtown to see what is best for me..

• no air charlie

Posted July 24, 2010 - 06:35 AM

NorCal, I would also like to hear your thoughts in comparing the YZ and the KTM.

• norcal_hoss

Posted July 24, 2010 - 02:21 PM

I like them both.. I like the KTM because the quality of parts you get ,the motor is outstanding and the handling is awesome. If I had to choose between 09 ktm or 09 yz id go with the ktm in a heart beat. Now the 10 yami is really good and ahead of its time with the easy to use programmer, air filter on the gas tank area,backwards motor,and it turns great. Both the ktm and YZ turn awesome and both have great suspension. I think bone stock the yami has better suspension but once you get the ktm dialed its as good or better than any japanese bike. I really like KTM's with the hydro clutch,SS brake lines, factory brakes, no tool air filter access, oversize hubs,spokes and nipples and the motor is better than any bike ive had. What I like about the Yami is it feels lighter than the ktm, turns as good and the tuner is very cool tool to have.Yamaha is known for reliability but so are the ktms.The ktm's are made from a different metal and until you have owned one you cant bag on them because they are top notch bikes. Im just a vet int/expert but I am faster on the Yamaha by a few seconds.I think it has to do with the bike feeling lighter and how well it turns now since of got it dialed in really well for me. If I was in better shape id go the same speed on either one.I dont like the ktm gave in and went to linkage but I have not ridden the 11' ktm 450 yet so who knows maybe its better but they finally had the 10 perfect then change it in 11. I like the no linkage myself but again I dont know what the linkage will be like.
Both are exceptional bikes im happy with the yami right now I have a buddy that is buying a few 11 ktm 450's and I will try them out and see how it compares to my yami.

• BBrown626

Posted July 24, 2010 - 07:54 PM

Its a 1 1/2 " rising rate and lengthening the link arm, the weight distribution was moved rearward, thus improving the turning characteristics. Keeping a load on the shock letting it settle into its stroke to erase the bike’s stinkbug stance.

Bones bacon YZ 450 :
Use the shock linkage to lower the chassis, firm up the shock’s damping curve, calm the bike down and allow for a wider range of fork height and race sag options. This is a great idea and vastly improved the ergos, handling and feel of the YZ450F. Best of all, it stopped the wiggle on the entrance to corners (when combined with adjustment to sag and fork height).Linkage. Even if you don’t have your suspension worked on (and for a large number of people, the stock SSS suspension is more than adequate), consider getting the longer Pro Circuit shock linkage. This is the same trick that everyone from the factory team to privateers used on the 2009 CRF450 to stop it from stink bugging. Although it might seem that the linkage is a suspension mod, it is really more of a handling fix. It brings the rear of the chassis down, which levels the bike out, balances the front and rear, takes some of the load off the front forks and allows the frame geometry to be changed across a wider range of angles. Good stuff.

Now I didnt buy it because Bones Bacon said this, I bought from riding a buddies bike set up just like mine. And two other friend running said it was a great mod. So I tried it myself and im happy. Maybe yours is perfect stock with raising the forks which is great but im happy with the link and what it did for me.:smirk: I couldnt set it at 102mm because it defeats what the link is doing which is putting a load on the rear.Im gonna try some different sag settings tomorrow at Hangtown to see what is best for me..

So the link lowers the back end with the same sag? That makes sense. So you are adjusting the sag back to "normal" vs the stock setting but the rear will be sitting lower when you are done.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.