2010 450 Fork Seals Leaking

3 replies to this topic
  • Lor

Posted July 20, 2010 - 09:22 PM

I have just about 7 rides on my 2010 450 and the seal on the right fork leg is blown. I haven't had it compressed to much, for too long, or had any real hard landings. I inspected and there are no nicks in the tube. Has anyone else had any issues with this? Any recommendations on seals and are they similar to change as my previous 2000 426? It's been 8 years since I worked on forks. Thanks.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 21, 2010 - 06:03 AM

Are you sure you dont have any dirt or debris up underneath the wiper? I would take the bike and put it up on a stand and pull the wiper down and take a tear off and clean up and around the seal.

Then set the bike off the stand and pump the forks up and down a few times and repeat the procedure until the leak slows down and stops. If it dont stop after the fifth or sixth time then it is probally the seal blown I would think or at least torn

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 21, 2010 - 08:32 AM

Dried mud or dirty water spots left on the fork between rides are usually the culprit.

Pull the dust seals down and clean the exposed surfaces of the seal pocket out. Take a business card and tear it a third off of it length wise. Using the wider part of the card, insert it between the fork tube and the seal and use the torn, "fuzzy" edge to drag any dirt or debris out from under the lip of the seal.

Then apply a little multipurpose grease to the fork tube between the oil and dust seals and slip the dust seals back in place.

If your seals are not damaged in some way, this will take care of the problem.

• Lor

Posted July 23, 2010 - 06:11 PM

Thanks guys.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.