Chain replacement

5 replies to this topic
  • fosbibr

Posted July 20, 2010 - 11:21 AM

So I got a new chain.

When I went to take off the stock chain I took off the spring clip and then.....

Do I need a chain breaker to take off the master link?

Silly question. Yes I feel stupid.

Thanks

• KJ790

Posted July 20, 2010 - 11:28 AM

No, the outer plate may be stuck on the master link. You can pry it off with a small screwdriver.

• YamaLink

Posted July 20, 2010 - 11:48 AM

And when you snap the masterlink back on, have the opening facing toward the rear of the bike. Facing forward can snag a tree/brush/whatever, and that's when the chain comes in half in the middle of nowhere. Seen it many times.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beatcoaster

Posted July 21, 2010 - 06:34 AM

<--looking for info as well

But you are going to need the chain breaker for making your new chain the correct length and popping out any unwanted links correct?

• grayracer513

Posted July 21, 2010 - 08:34 AM

You can buy the chain the correct length to begin with. 114 links is standard.

A good chain tool is a worthwhile addition to your tool box, though.

• jrny426

Posted July 21, 2010 - 08:35 AM

I use my bench grinder in a pinch

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.