how many hours or miles on your 400's before rebuild

1 reply to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 28, 2001 - 04:28 PM

just wondering when I can expect to rebuild my 99 400

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted January 28, 2001 - 11:02 PM

Bud: That's a very hard question to answer. What it boils down to is when your engine needs it...and what to look for. First of all, if you notice any dramtic drop-off in engine performance...accompanied(not necessarily) by smoking exhaust. If you've reached the smoking exhaust point, it's pretty bad! I'd say, over all, that what you want to look for is a little bit of exhaust smoke at start up, mechanical noise from around the cylinder, pinging or knocking under acceleration, overheating that you can sometimes feel with your legs...or that you need to replenish your coolant often.
The YZ426 has a uniquely short piston skirt, so, once you've reached excessive wear, you should know it. Change your oil VERY often and you can get 3 seasons of racing out of it.(average)...(opinion)

[This message has been edited by Boit (edited 01-29-2001).]

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.