No part # ????

8 replies to this topic
  • Luigic81

Posted July 19, 2010 - 09:09 PM

Ok so my new cam chain finally cam in today and per usual I get the through the "hard parts" of the job no problem, and screw up something easy :smirk:

The middle bolt on the cam chain tensioner broke off, so I had to extract it. I got everything else buttoned up, timing is set etc. So I just need to get a new bolt, but when you look at the part fiche for the cam chain tensioner, the middle bolt is the only one WITHOUT a part # ***??

Posted Image

• Luigic81

Posted July 19, 2010 - 09:21 PM

also I was planning on riding this wednesday, assuming that my local yamaha dealer does not have this in stock, would anyone be willing to tell me the thread pitch and length of the threads so I can find a suitable replacement in the mean time? :smirk:

• davcon

Posted July 20, 2010 - 05:46 AM

Barring a machinist chiming in, I'd take the tensioner off and take it down to a hardware store and use trial and error to find it. :smirk:

• Luigic81

Posted July 20, 2010 - 06:27 AM

I can find the thread pitch that way, but I still need to know the proper length.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2010 - 06:36 AM

That bolt is only a plug for the hole. It needs to about 8mm long, 10 at most.

• Luigic81

Posted July 20, 2010 - 06:56 AM

That bolt is only a plug for the hole. It needs to about 8mm long, 10 at most.

awesome thanks :smirk:
I thought maybe it had to be a certain length to prevent the tensioner from backing out too far. I will just eyeball one then, that looks to be the right length. I remeber pretty much how long the old one was, but didnt know if it was critically important for it to be the exact same size.

• jbodin18

Posted April 17, 2011 - 07:18 AM

I just did the same thing to my tensioner bolt. Does the bolt head have to be the same size as the brass washer, or can it be smaller and still provide the proper seal?

• jbodin18

Posted April 19, 2011 - 04:53 AM

Anyone? If the head has to match the washer, can I put a steel washer thats the same size over the top of the brass washer and plug the hole with a screw head that is smaller?

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2011 - 06:06 AM

The washer and bolt have to have the same inside diameter.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.