1999 clutch basket

2 replies to this topic
  • yzf

Posted January 28, 2001 - 04:20 PM

i keep hearing about people cracking the clutch baskets on the 426 did any of you have that problum with the 1999 yz400 baskets? i know the 426 clutch it self is stronger but what about the basket ? i'm asking because i just installed a 426cyl and a 95mm piston and had the head ported on my 1999 yz400. the basket looks fine (no cracks) but you guys are making me nerous should i buy a hison?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted January 28, 2001 - 11:16 PM

You are exerting more hp/torque on the stock basket by increasing your displacement. In my opinion, if you are willing to go to that expense to increase the output, invest in a basket that can handle it. Yamaha had the engineering expertise to recognize that going from 400cc to 426cc facilitated a stronger clutch.....hence, they added an extra plate. Why scrimp here? You may have to fit a wider cover to allow for extra clutch plate clearance...if possible. Don't over look this possible snafu.

• fershy

Posted January 29, 2001 - 08:50 AM

It seems to me that all the problem baskets are the redesigned ones on the 426's. There are no reports of porblems with baskets on the the 98's and 99's. Perhaps Yamaha was a little hastey on the redesign? I for one would leave well enough alone. How does the saying go? If it aint broke don't fix it!
Or replace it with something that has been proven to be suspect.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.