Lots of Metal Shavings and Little Oil during last service

8 replies to this topic
  • jcolborn48

Posted July 19, 2010 - 05:41 PM

Just changed the oil on my '07 450. I would say I got less than a quart out and it had an alarming amount of shavings in it. I've owned the bike since new, changed the oil regularly, never had the valves adjusted. Bike seems to be running a little rough now. What should I be looking out for?

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2010 - 09:24 AM

Were the shavings steel or aluminum?

How would you describe them? (slivers, flakes, etc.)

• jcolborn48

Posted July 20, 2010 - 03:47 PM

It was looking more like aluminum slivers

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2010 - 04:31 PM

And what percent more than the normal amount of aluminum slivers would you say it was?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdrata

Posted July 20, 2010 - 08:00 PM

I feel some learnin' comin'...

• jcolborn48

Posted July 20, 2010 - 09:28 PM

Far more than standard, I was immediately concerned by the amount I saw. If I had to put a number on it.....5x's more?:smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted July 21, 2010 - 06:55 AM

The most common source of a lot of aluminum is something like a disengaged snap ring or other loose object in the clutch housing area. The piece gets stuck between one of the gears and rubs on the cases.

It may not be there, but it's likely that type of thing, if not on the right side, then possibly around the flywheel. Rarely, the retaining plate screws on the main bearing plates have come loose and the crank drags them against the cases.

Normally, something like that produces a LOT of metal shed, though. I'd do an inspection of the right side first, then go from there.

• jcolborn48

Posted July 21, 2010 - 07:15 AM

You're the man, Thanks Gray...I'll dive in and see what I find.

• davcon

Posted July 21, 2010 - 03:52 PM

I feel some learnin' comin'...

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.