i need to motivation as to which i should choose

11 replies to this topic
  • dbike

Posted July 19, 2010 - 02:39 PM

you guys might yell at me for making a thread like this but, well, here it goes...

i will soon be in the market for a used or possibly new dirt bike and i am frankly stuck between a wr450 and a yz450. my type of riding will be mainly desert and some pretty big trails. BIG is the key word. i will be going to ocotillo, glamis, gordons well, calico etc. and the trails are some huge trails at the end of my neighborhood. hardly anyone knows about them because they are hidden. my point is, it is not a public trail or track.

so now i am stuck between a wr and a yz. i want the yz because its power and its weight but i want the wr because of mainly just the headlight. i just need a push from some of you to give me an idea of why i should choose which.

If anyone can help me out, i would highly appreciate it :smirk:

edit: sorry for screwing up the title :smirk:

• William1

Posted July 19, 2010 - 05:24 PM

Lights are a small part of the difference. WR has a much higher top speed too. Weight difference is not that much unless you were racing MX. Having the button when on a 30 degree slope is a handy thing too. Power can easily be made up. WR exhaust is quieter.

Not sure why you think riding on non-posted trails is a good thing as that sort of behavior is what gets the legal ones closed.

• dbike

Posted July 19, 2010 - 05:45 PM

Lights are a small part of the difference. WR has a much higher top speed too. Weight difference is not that much unless you were racing MX. Having the button when on a 30 degree slope is a handy thing too. Power can easily be made up. WR exhaust is quieter.

Not sure why you think riding on non-posted trails is a good thing as that sort of behavior is what gets the legal ones closed.

i was saying that because the yz is a red sticker and can only ride during certain times of the year, as you already know im sure. because the trails are private, is why it will be ok to ride whenever....

• William1

Posted July 20, 2010 - 04:05 AM

Ah, ok, mis-understood, private land you have written permission to be on.

Because of the sticker requirement, get the WR. Power boosting is no big deal.

• Chas_M

Posted July 20, 2010 - 04:22 AM

Another plus for the WR is the more versatile wider ratio trans.

• SAthump

Posted July 20, 2010 - 09:57 AM

WR's are easy to cut to cut weight from too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbike

Posted July 20, 2010 - 11:01 AM

i think it is really sad that after posting this here and in the yz forum, i still have not made up my mind. im so indecisive between these two, it is terrible. i think my only bet is to ride both and get a good feel for them but i dont know anyone who rides either! i think i will just see who has the better deal (craigslist, im not sure if i am buying new or used yet) and go with whatever bike is reasonable

• William1

Posted July 20, 2010 - 02:27 PM

I suggest you make a list. On that list put "must haves". Then decide, based on dollar cost, how much will it cost to put a "must have" on the WR and then how much "must have" will cost to put on the YZ.

For example, the WR Trans is about $600, the YZ cams are about $250 (used), A WR Electric start is well over a $1,000 to add and about $50 to remove. YZ suspension is about $1500, though a good suspension shop can work wonders with just about anything.

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 20, 2010 - 02:33 PM

William1 jedi mind tricks:lol:

rough Trails =WR
track =YZ
dunes=YZ
Backyard=TTR

have you thought about a 250?

• William1

Posted July 20, 2010 - 04:23 PM

Charles, you crack me up!

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 20, 2010 - 07:49 PM

WR. I ride at OW as well and love the WR. The only time I would consider the YZ over the WR is if I were going to race it.... a lot.

• cjard

Posted July 21, 2010 - 05:10 AM

Owning a WR and a YZ, I'd say for the kind of riding youre doing, the WR would be better (comfort, fuel range, gearing, estart). I think youre getting too hung up on a spec sheet and imagining differences/advantages where there are none..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.