KX 65 - $300 Craigslist rebuild

30 replies to this topic
  • Tedh98

Posted July 19, 2010 - 05:55 AM

Since it doesn't look like the posts from the new version are coming back, I'll repost this rebuild.

I bought this '04 KX 65 for $300 a couple of months ago. The person was originally asking $500, but after I saw he split the cases with a couple of screwdrivers, I got him to take off a few hundred since I'd have to find some new cases.
Posted Image

The previous owner did a great job of keeping all the parts to the engine in the two buckets, I was very impressed that nothing was missing. With the exception of a small tear in the seat and the front tire, the rest of the bike was in great shape.

The first step was to tear it all down, with the exception of the swingarm, tires and a few other pieces, most of the bike is on this cart.
Posted Image

I got this complete bottom end from eBay.
Posted Image

This engine lived a hard little life.
Posted Image

Splitting the cases.
Posted Image

After splitting the cases, the parts of the two engines are on the workbench and I've got the good cases cleaned up.
Posted Image

I replaced all the transmission and water pump bearings. I used the oven/freezer method to get all the bearings in place and to install the crank in one of the cases.
Posted Image

Transmission installed.
Posted Image

I used my home made crank installer to get the other case put on.
Posted Image

Bottom end put back together.
Posted Image

Top end back on.
Posted Image

While I let the case sealant set-up overnight, I cleaned all the suspension and steering bearings and got most of the bike put back together. Fortunately the prior owner(s) had cleaned/greased those bearings before and they were all in good shape.
Posted Image

I also had some paint stripper that I had been meaning to throw out. I thought I'd try using that to clean out the pipe.
Posted Image

I sealed up one end of the pipe and poured the stuff in and let it sit for about 8 hours. This is the type of stuff that came out from just pouring the stripper out of the pipe.
Posted Image

I then started flushing the pipe out with water and this amount of carbon still kept coming out after 8-10 rinses.
Posted Image

The pipe isn't spotless, but it is pretty clean for a minimal amount of effort.

I installed a new front tire, grips, no-toil filter, chain, sprockets and front number plate. Here it is all put back together.
Posted Image

Took 3 kicks to get it going. My son doesn't race, only rides trails and on MX tracks. I really need to find a kickstand for this thing.

• desert rider7

Posted July 19, 2010 - 06:20 AM

Good Job!!!

• maximoose

Posted July 19, 2010 - 08:41 AM

Nice work!

• Smacaroni

Posted July 19, 2010 - 09:33 AM

Nice work, but your title is a little misleading, what was the total cost of all the new parts w/o the bike purchase price? Or was it $300 for a used bottom end and top end rebuild?

And no, Brian told me the "new" site posts aren't coming back. You might be able to find an "old" post from the "new" site via Google's cache: http://www.google.co...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=
You have to click on "cached" next to the listing.

• Tedh98

Posted July 19, 2010 - 10:14 AM

Everything in that 1st picture was $300.

I'm afraid to add up all the receipts for the replated cylinder, new crank, gaskets, etc. My guess is I'm in for a total of $1,100 with everything included. I'm feeling pretty good about it b/c that is what most '04+ KX 65 are going for in my area with engines that will soon need a top or complete rebuild.

• AdvCoop

Posted July 19, 2010 - 10:18 AM

Very nice!

• Smacaroni

Posted July 19, 2010 - 11:02 AM

Stilll, $1,100 isn't bad. Nice write up too.

• John45

Posted July 20, 2010 - 06:33 AM

Nice work. That's kind of what I'm hoping to do for my boys as they graduate to the 65's. I've been toying with buying all parts from ebay and building from scratch or just finding a busted one like you did and build it.

Kudos to you and nice work !

• Smacaroni

Posted July 20, 2010 - 06:48 AM

If you find a busted one, make sure the body panels, gas tank, seat and most important wheels. You can spend $300 just on replacing the wheel assembly.
That's where mine got stalled, did a trade for KX100 parts for a "complete" KX65 with a bad crank. Well, the other guy was a jerk, showed up late and forgot the gas tank. I didn't notice till I got home. I knew the wheels were gone, but they turned out to be harder to get a hold of than I expected.
Between all this stuff, I decided to abandon rebuilding it using a KX60 motor from my daughter's bike. She's physically outgrown the 60, but the 65 I thought would last the whole year. I didn't. She's moved up.
I need to unload that KX65 parts pile really soon, the gf will probably put it out with the trash when I'm not looking.

IIRC there's a company making body panels which didn't look too bad for about $80 on ebay, but if you can get them with the bike, it's better.

• luckystar64

Posted July 25, 2010 - 02:04 AM

Will a KX60 motor bolt into a KX65 frame? I'm asking because Smac mentioned rebuilding his 65 with a KX60 motor above. I never really looked at the two motors side by side. Unless he meant pulling the crank out of the 60, and using the top end on the 65 motor. ---L*64

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted July 25, 2010 - 06:26 PM

awesome thread, looks like fun!

I'd love to do that for my girlfriends kids to ride with me..

• Smacaroni

Posted July 26, 2010 - 05:41 AM

Will a KX60 motor bolt into a KX65 frame? I'm asking because Smac mentioned rebuilding his 65 with a KX60 motor above. I never really looked at the two motors side by side. Unless he meant pulling the crank out of the 60, and using the top end on the 65 motor. ---L*64

I've tested the KX60 top end on a KX65 bottom end, they're close, but do not mate. I didn't research it farther than that. I would say at the least a machinist would be needed to make the mate up accurately.
As far as the KX60 bottom end in the KX65 frame. I'm 99% certain this will work, it requires some adjustments. First off, the front of the motor mounts are not identical, so one would need to add some washers or something to use as a spacer, the KX65 motor mounts are wider.
Next, as noted above, the exhaust ports are in slightly different locations, the 65 is straight towards the forks, the 60 is about 1:30 so maybe 25 degrees to the right.
I think the best move there would be to use the KX60 exhaust.

I never got so far as to actually put the motor in, although I do have a parts motor with the bottom end split that I could mock up if you really want me to. What happened with that was I made a deal to trade with a guy my KX100 bottom end (top end was AWOL from when I got it), frame and what ever other KX100 parts I had laying around for his "complete" KX65 which had a bad crank and was missing wheels.
Well, he was a tool, showed up really late and it was pouring, so neither one of us examined the traded parts.
I feel that I was 100% honest with the guy when I told him what I had.
Well, his, now my KX65 was missing: body panels, front brake assembly, various nuts and bolts (not a surprise), but the axle and swing arm bolts that were missing was irritating to say the least and I noticed the gas tank was missing too.
So I called him and said "did you forget the gas tank?", he said "oh, yeah I did. I'll mail it to you". Ok, so I give him my address.
A few hours later, he decides the KX100 bottom end was toast and wants to trade back. By this point, I see that it's also missing carb and throttle assembly. I feel like I got screwed. This list of what's missing is as long as what's there. I told him "come to my house, I'm not going to meet you since I waited 2+ hours for you this time". He agrees.
I stopped working on the 65 at that point (had 90% of what he gave me reassembled).
We've had three separate appointments for him to come to my house, each time he calls me the day before to confirm and never shows up.
I've put his number in my "ditch mail" list (user gets a number disconnected message) and I've put an auto-reply in for his email address that mimicks a server error.
Once I finish the new shed, I'm gonna throw what parts I do have on CL and ebay to get rid of them. I have no use for them since my daughter is barely in the KX65 size, she'll be riding her mom's former wheels. Well, they're still her mom's wheels, she's just getting the hand-me-down.

awesome thread, looks like fun!

I'd love to do that for my girlfriends kids to ride with me..

I highly recommend it. But if they've never ridden before, KX65 probably isn't the best bike. How old?

Edited by Smacaroni, July 26, 2010 - 06:11 AM.

• Tedh98

Posted July 26, 2010 - 12:36 PM

We went riding yesterday and it appears I put everything together correctly because the bike ran great. This bike has considerably more power than the RM 60 my son came off of.

It was really hot, so we all had fun running through the mud pit and then cleaning ourselves off by riding in the creek.

Posted Image

• shortyr6

Posted July 26, 2010 - 05:42 PM

great thread. I picked up a 05 kx65 for my boy a few weeks back. it runs strong. i do like that you can buy a complete bottom end as a kit and top end so you dont have to hunt for parts and its really not that expensive.

• kxboi704

Posted July 26, 2010 - 06:15 PM

what in the **** happend to that piston

• NMdesertRacer

Posted July 26, 2010 - 07:52 PM

what ever you do dont buy a stock sidestand. Piece of junk bike leans over to far. I had my friend make me a sidestand that is taller.

• Smacaroni

Posted July 27, 2010 - 04:30 AM

I built a kick-stand for our 60 as well. Kawi wanted way too much money for it.
One thing I made a mistake, use 1/4" plate for the attachment point, 12 ga. bends way too easily, I don't think 10 ga. would even be heavy enough.
For the stand part, I used part of a tie-rod with some 12 ga. 3/4" flat steel bent into a U shape and the foot was a 2" long 1" wide piece of scrap. Everything but the attachment point worked great. The tie-rod was hardened, so it would take quite some force to bend it, unfortunately, it also took a while to cut since I don't have a decent cutting torch.

This bike has considerably more power than the RM 60 my son came off of.

Actually, the gearing on the KX/RM60 is too tall, if you drop the front sprocket to a 13? you'll see a noticeable difference which makes the 60 and 65 nearly equal power wise. The 65 suspension is world's ahead of the 60 though.

• luckystar64

Posted August 17, 2010 - 12:10 AM

Very interesting. The reason I was asking about the KX60 motor is that I was thinking about putting an air cooled '83-'84 KX60 motor in the newer KX65 chassis to use as a motard. The air cooling would allow the bike to race in a much slower class than the liquid cooled motor would allow. All the parts are still available for the air cooler as well. If the 60 motor would bolt right in with minimal mods-- it would be worth doing, since I've been seeing 65's selling for $6-700 bux-- or less even with jacked up motors. --L*64

• luckystar64

Posted August 17, 2010 - 12:19 AM

Very interesting. The reason I was asking about the KX60 motor is that I was thinking about putting an air cooled '83-'84 KX60 motor in the newer KX65chassis to use as a motard. The air cooling would allow the bike to race in a much slower class than the liquid cooled motor would allow. All the parts are still available for the air cooler as well. If the 60 motor would bolt right in with minimal mods-- it would be worth doing, since I've been seeing 65's selling for $6-700 bux-- or less even with jacked up motors. --L*64

• Smacaroni

Posted August 17, 2010 - 04:47 AM

You mean like this?
Posted Image
http://www.morsecorp.com/1240501.html

I am desperately trying to find a Derbi GPr to put my daughter's former KX60's soul into.
Posted Image
Sadly, only a handful made it to the US. I thought I had a "live one" with a dead motor near me, but the fool who posted the CL ad never responded to my requests to see it.
There's a $400 one in Boston and a $650 one in GA, or maybe it's VA? That look like OK candidates, the problem is neither one has a title and both are missing the body work. The $600 one has also been bastardized with a Warrior motor or something, it looks way too heavy and will make this awesome handling bike into a shopping cart.
I think the photo is of a GPr 125, I'd be happy with a GPr50. I don't care that it's a whopping 9 hp stock. I like the look most of all, the fact that they supposedly handle very well is what is most appealing. I know the YSR/YZR and Aprilla RS 50 are more common, but the YSR is ugly and the RS is too expensive. Plus, I'm gonna rip out the motor anyway.
FYI some specs from memory on the GPr FULL SIZE motorcycle.
HP: 9
depending on who you ask, 50-75cc two-stroke
Weight: 220 lbs
E-start
Street legal as a "moped" or "scooter" (one of the coolest looking mopeds evar!)
Top speed stock is around 60 mph.
MSRP was $2700-3500 give or take.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.