2010 YZ 3rd gear broken?

6 replies to this topic
  • jasonlion54

Posted July 18, 2010 - 08:43 PM

This is not my bike, it happened to a friend of mine at the track today. 2010 YZ450F. Racing Supermoto.

He said he was coming onto the main straightaway, and shifted up into 3rd gear and heard/felt a bad crunching noise. In the next corner he downshifted into 3rd expecting to use some engine braking, but the motor completely freewheeled, as if it was in neutral. He pulled off the track. Now the bike runs and shifts normally, except 3rd gear doesn't engage at all.

Does anyone know what may have broken in the transmission? Is this a common problem on this bike? Thanks for any info.

• grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2010 - 06:10 AM

Sounds like third is broken. No, it's not common.

• tnat1

Posted July 19, 2010 - 11:54 AM

Does your friend run a slipper clutch? If hes not running a slipper on asphalt thats a good way to launch the tranny doing sumo or he probably banged it down from 5th to 3rd on a high speed corner and with all the traction launched it.

Its funny that you mention it between my 06 and 08 and my buddies 06-09 yammies doing sumo when doing full on throttle upshifts from 3rdto4th and 4th to 5th they are super notchy real hard to get up in gear without using alot of clutch. My buddy got a graves ignition with the ignition cut off switch that cuts the motor out for a split second, when i rode his bike on the main straight away at rd america his bike i pulled 88 mph and mine 75 mph. the thing makes shifting butter i can be fully tapped out on the throttle, no clutch no backing off and shift from 2nd to 5th in like 1-2 seconds. Friggin amazing and my gps laptimer shows the difference and even shows my shifts on my bike where his there is a smooth line, no hesitation. fuggin trick!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jasonlion54

Posted July 19, 2010 - 12:08 PM

Thanks, Gray.

TNat:
Yes, he does run a slipper. That's good to know about the Graves ignition. I hate the way my bike (08 YZ450) upshifts at full throttle. You think it's worth the $350? http://www.gravespor...ion-Module.html

• tnat1

Posted July 19, 2010 - 12:22 PM

Thanks, Gray.

TNat:
Yes, he does run a slipper. That's good to know about the Graves ignition. I hate the way my bike (08 YZ450) upshifts at full throttle. You think it's worth the $350? http://www.gravespor...ion-Module.html

Jason, it is totally worth it it makes it so easy to upshift as you know they are notchy as hell.

I dont know if the link will work but here is the graph from my gps laptimer, awesome tool, free software all you need is a windows mobile device with gps or a gps receiver thats bluetooth to tie them together.

http://www.chicagola...77&d=1278518138

Pm me if you ahve any questions about it. i can email you all the details. you can get a old pda for like $20 on ebay and gps receiver from 20-60$ and your golden.

• Camber18

Posted July 19, 2010 - 04:08 PM

Thanks, Gray.

TNat:
That's good to know about the Graves ignition. I hate the way my bike (08 YZ450) upshifts at full throttle. You think it's worth the $350? http://www.gravespor...ion-Module.html

No, it's not worth it... shifting is worse. :smirk:

TNat! Ixnay ethay ignitionway alktay :smirk:

• tnat1

Posted July 20, 2010 - 03:42 AM

No, it's not worth it... shifting is worse. :cheers:

TNat! Ixnay ethay ignitionway alktay :smirk:

Dont beleive this a-hole this is the a-holes bike that im talking about, hes the one that rear ended may butt at about 45mph at rd americas long 90mph straightaway. you stalkin me sct? :smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.