Suspension oil

5 replies to this topic
  • delmas

Posted July 18, 2010 - 02:28 PM

I know Gray will have the answer on this one.
What weight oil should i use for forks and shock.
I am used to 5 weight on showa in the forks,
2.5 on the shock
KYB need advice!!!!!!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2010 - 02:53 PM

My first choice is to use 215.VM2.K5 fluid from SMART Performance. Use SPI #3 in the shock and in the inner fork cartridge, and the heavier SPI #5 in the outer chamber of the fork.

Second choice in Amsoil Shock Therapy #5 Light in the shock and fork cartridge, and #10 medium in the outer chamber.

Running the heavier oil in the outers allows you to run a slightly lower oil level but still resist bottoming.

• delmas

Posted July 18, 2010 - 02:57 PM

My first choice is to use 215.VM2.K5 fluid from SMART Performance. Use SPI #3 in the shock and in the inner fork cartridge, and the heavier SPI #5 in the outer chamber of the fork.

Second choice in Amsoil Shock Therapy #5 Light in the shock and fork cartridge, and #10 medium in the outer chamber.

Running the heavier oil in the outers allows you to run a slightly lower oil level but still resist bottoming.

thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PAdaytonaman

Posted July 19, 2010 - 08:04 AM

Penske Racing's MX and ATV division, called Axis Racing shocks, runs proprietary fluid in the shock and Bel Ray fork Oil 3W up front. They tested everything on their shock dyno's and nothing else worked as good in the forks. Not even their own fluid, which wasn't suited for the forks.

I think they know a thing or two about suspension. They build all of their own shocks for Indy, Nascar and MX/ATV. I'm not sure if they sell their fluid to the public, but its in my stuff after they revalved and serviced my suspension.

• grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2010 - 10:37 AM

I think they know a thing or two about suspension.

So does Dave Johnson. :smirk:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 20, 2010 - 06:15 AM

So does Dave Johnson. :smirk:

I second that.:smirk: That Del Taco kit is sweet and really makes a difference on a 2010 YZ450.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.