Patch or New Tube?

33 replies to this topic
  • hondariderdan09

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

Im pretty new to the tire game but I recently replaced the tires on my dirtbike on my own for the first time but I encountered some problems with the rear. The back tire was flat before I changed the tires so there is a brand new tube in there but i must have pinched it installing the new tire. So now the question is should i patch it or should i go with another new tube? Is a patch a temporary fix? Any input would be appreciated, thanks. :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GSP2

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

New tires = new tubes = piece of mind being 50 miles from the truck.

I would use a patch in a pinch but not as a long term fix. <$20 for an ultra heavy duty tube and your good to go.

Bet ya don't do it a second time. Treat it as a learning experience.

• ekulb14

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

yep get a new tube, your are already taking the tube off might as well put a new one in. and :smirk:*TIP* when you put the new tube in inflate it so that its firm but creases over your finger, that way you wont pinch it

• hondariderdan09

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

Yea that is what I was thinkin and yea i new i did something wrong around the rim lock :smirk: i was prayin there wasnt a hole tho but thanks for the info

• GSP2

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:24 PM

I WOULD patch the tube and keep it on hand for that time you will probably need a replacement tube in a pinch (pardon the pun). :smirk:

• MasterT2000

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

A patch is for a flat on the trail to get you through the rest of the day. Replace the tube.

• Chokey

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

I have patched tubes many times. If applied correctly, the patched area is as good as the rest of the tube. I would patch it and not give it a second thought.

• condor74

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

If you use a quality patch and glue then it will actually be stronger than the rest of the tube. The stuff I used I picked up from an industrial tire center and after it dries if you were to try and peel the patch off it would take the rubber it is attached to with it and just open a new hole. I would patch it and just use this opportunity to get better at changing tubes. If the hole thing about being 50 miles away bothers you then buy a new tube after you have it all together and bring it with you. I doubt if you patch it the leak will be from the same spot.

• gruberyz

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

I never ever patch a tube. If you pull it out inspect the area around the valvle stem. It usually has rust and abrasion marks on it. Not worth the bother to mess with patching. We carry a plastic tote loaded with tubes for every wheel size we race. If tire comes off for any reason new tube goes in and old tube get's trashed even if it was holding air fine. In eight years of racing I have had two flats. Both were from screwing up and smashing the front wheel into rocks. One was a GP race with a two mile paved section that was tricky on flat front lol.

• long arm

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:05 AM

I ahve three days MX riding on a patched tube now with no problems.
Another good tip for avoiding pinching the tubes and making them easier to install is to place the tube into a bag or bucket with some baby powder or even corn starch and shake it around before installing into the tire. The powder coating will help the half inflated tube slip into place and make it less likely to be caught between the spoon and the rim.

• mihylo33

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:23 AM

These days I just put new tube in to replace the pinched one. 25yrs ago when I was 13,had no car and just enough jingle for gas I would patch that sucker and never give it a thought.

I always put a new tube in and save the patched one for emergencies these days.

• john484

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

I've got 5 patches on my rear tube on my street xr650r, been like that for year and a half. And they said I was crazy. Got patches all over my dirt bike tubes at one time or another.
that said, if you do any trail rides where you get 20 miles from your truck, you may want a new tube.

• Kev_XR

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:14 AM

Not if your patching skills are the same as your tire mounting skills. :smirk:
(Sorry)

OK, a new tube is better than a patched tube for piece of mind if nothing else. It really depends on how big of a hole you made. A small hole you can patch. A long slice is probably time to replace the tube, even if a patch will cover it.

I use to have a 3 patch rule for mtn bikes. After the 3rd patch, the tube was tossed.

If you don't have 3 good long tire irons, get some.

I'll be changing both tires on my XR400 soon. Not easy with HD tubes. Might be karma time for my first comment.

• tribalbc

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

These days I just put new tube in to replace the pinched one. 25yrs ago when I was 13,had no car and just enough jingle for gas I would patch that sucker and never give it a thought.

I always put a new tube in and save the patched one for emergencies these days.

Sounds very familar. When I was young you just kept patching a tube untill it ripped or was otherwise destroyed. Now a days, I just throw a new tube in, but the quality of the tubes is so much better, that flats are very rare and tubes more often than not just get tossed after time from chaffing.

• BBA

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:54 AM

I guess Im just a cheap a$$ because I will patch a tube over & over until I feel the need to spend the money on a new tube. I guess I have become what you would call a "professional patcher" since I never have any issues with what I patched over. Hell most of the time I will not even remove the rear wheel from the bike and just break down the tire still on the bike, patch er' up and get back on the trail!!

• Chokey

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

I guess Im just a cheap a$$ because I will patch a tube over & over until I feel the need to spend the money on a new tube. I guess I have become what you would call a "professional patcher" since I never have any issues with what I patched over. Hell most of the time I will not even remove the rear wheel from the bike and just break down the tire still on the bike, patch er' up and get back on the trail!!

I'm the same way! If there is nothing more than a small pinch (not a tear) I will happily patch away and not give it a second thought after I stuff the tube back in the half-removed tire. I have run tubes with half a dozen patches or more with no issues. I see absolutely no reason to throw away a perfectly good tube just because I had to put a patch on it. If applied correctly, the patch is as good as (or better than) the rest of the tube. As long as the tube isn't showing signs of wear from chaffing, I ain't tossin' it. :smirk:

• Wrfrk

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

I used to think a patched tube was a tube that was gonna fail on the trail. That however was a stupid way to think and now I patch and go!! The only time I will replace is if a tube has multiple patches on it already or if the pinch is large. If the tube is split which happens a lot in a pinch, then the tube is trash. Little holes patch and go, no worries!!

• gruberyz

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

Not me with six bikes to keep race ready not even going to mees with glue and prepping a tube just pull out old tube chunk it in the trash and go on.
That's like folks I have seen wash a ziplock bag and reuse it

• Chokey

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

That's like folks I have seen wash a ziplock bag and reuse it

:smirk: I won't wash one out, but I'll certainly turn one into a parts holder or a filter oiler. :smirk:

• Towlieee

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:58 PM

99% of people will say new tube

I run patched tubes tell the valve stem rips lol.. some of my tubes have 10 patches in them, and they keep on living!

I don't even purchase patches any more.. I cut up a old tube I have into patch size chunks, use some 80 grit sand paper to rough it up, then I also use the 80 grit on the part of my tube that needs patched.. . Then some rubber cement, and a couple hours to dry and it works great for me!

I have over 100 hours on my current tube in my honda 150f.. No joke! And don't think casue its a little girls bike that I ride like a little girl.. I push that bike to its limits and sometimes beyond LOL

edit: oh yeah, I don't take a tube out, patch it, and put it back in... I have 3 tubes for my 150f currently, one is in the bike, 2 are in the garage. When I pop a tube, I put another patched tube back in my bike, and the tube I poped, I patch it, and let it sit in the garage to dry tell its needed :smirk:

I'm the same way! If there is nothing more than a small pinch (not a tear) I will happily patch away and not give it a second thought after I stuff the tube back in the half-removed tire. I have run tubes with half a dozen patches or more with no issues. I see absolutely no reason to throw away a perfectly good tube just because I had to put a patch on it. If applied correctly, the patch is as good as (or better than) the rest of the tube. As long as the tube isn't showing signs of wear from chaffing, I ain't tossin' it. :smirk:

+1, properly applied patch is strong as the original tube if not stronger cause its thicker!

Also you don't need "long tire irons" 8" tire irons are more then enough. If you need to use lots of force, you need to change your method! It takes practice, but tires should fit fairly easily on... sometimes a little struggle, but nothing more. I just use two 8" motion pro tire irons, I use them for changing tires on everything I own. I even spooned 2 low profile tires onto my 17" rims on my car! Now that was hard..
And I've been spooning tires onto my sport bike for 4 years now lol.. I can actually get tires changed at my friends shop for FREE.. But the 10 minute drive there is longer then it takes me to just spoon them! lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

CRF450X JD Jetting issues by Sparkydave

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 CR 125 Tear Down Rebuild.. by J.Tomasello

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • * * * - -
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Burning Oil After Rebuild by Silent Echo

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Vintage
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

Anyone else have an Suzuki Sp 200? by rwyb

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Vintage
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Texas dirtbike title transfer? by Marksman42

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   South
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.