Black Wheels ???

33 replies to this topic
  • MXOldtimer

Posted January 29, 2001 - 05:31 PM

If your having the hubs & rims done ,,,,would you need to remove the spokes ? ? ? ? ?

Doug

• motoman393

Posted January 29, 2001 - 05:47 PM

if it were me i would remvoe the hubs and spokes...because anything worth doing is worth doing right (that is my philosophy especially when dealing with dirt bikes, right? or am i just weird? ) Even if you did leave the wheel in tact you would have to tape up everything...just take the couple hours and do it right! It will reward you by good looking rims and hubs instead of a half hearted job! Just my 2 cents!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• motoman393

Posted January 29, 2001 - 05:51 PM

oh yeah you must remove the tire and rim strip (or duct tape if you are paranoid about flats like me :) ) the reson for this is there are phillips heads on the spoke nipples but they are only accessible if you take the tire off, the other alternative is to scratch up your spokes with a pair of vise grips trying to loosen the spoke nipples! I just remembered you have to take the tire off anyway to get the rims done LOL, oh well hope this is somewhat helpful!

Garrett

------------------
Friendswood, TX

• lumpy

Posted January 29, 2001 - 06:08 PM

My son did it to his kx250 (sorry) no scuffing-sanding just clean and spray!!!!It's been about 2 months and still looks good ..... it is gloss try itQUOTE]Originally posted by motoman393:
grill paint?!?! that is cool...and it actually works but for how long a couple of motos, and is is flat black or shiny?? This sounds to good to be true ...I mean i could have black rims for <10 bucks :) right??

Garrett

[/QUOTE]

• F-Pilot

Posted January 29, 2001 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, tape all the spokes where they cross and do it somewhere you can leave the hub and spokes without moving it till you put it back together. You should take the finished wheel and have it trued unless you have a stand and are real patient.

• MXOldtimer

Posted January 29, 2001 - 08:08 PM

I tried to lace a wheel one time, never again! I'd take it to a shop and have it done correctly the first time, somethings are better left to people that know what they're doing.

Doug

• daveyg

Posted January 31, 2001 - 02:41 PM

Just my two cents, but I use to work at Colorado Cyclist and they are a big builder of bicycle wheels. The proper tension and trueness of the wheel is very important. I know that motorcycle wheels aren't as critical since the don't flex as much, but I would definitely talk to someone that has laced their own Excel Rims before attempting it. I know with bicycle rims that you should never reuse spokes. Motorcycle spokes may be different. Get some advice on this.

One thing that would look ultra kick ass would be to have the rims anodized black, leave the spokes silver, and have the spoke nips anodized gold, blue, red, or whatever color that would accent your bike. Attention to detail is what I love. Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 31, 2001 - 06:15 PM

dave
I just talked to my buddy at the dealer and said the anodizing thing sound great but he also said that he tried stringing a wheel...........ONCE .............never again
he would be willing to pay 100 bones to have it done!!!!
Very time consuming and frustrating.
They charge $60 each so now i have a big decision to make.
sounds like about $170 for black wheels and about a week and a half of down time.
Damn what a decision!!!!
I think I am convinced about the Hurricane Graphics still but think it would look Trik with the black rims EH????SSSSweeet...
I found them at Stroker for $29/graphics
Also the 10 and 12 oz flywheel wts are on sale for $42 reg $95 !!!!!!
Hurry up Tax return!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
ride BLUE

• EMARacing

Posted February 03, 2001 - 05:02 AM

I didn't mention this in my first post, but you will need to completely disassemble your wheel. They cannot anodize everything together. Also if you are going to get your hubs, swingarm, etc done make sure they are completely torn down with all bearing etc removed. What I did was use a new Buchannon spoke set with colored spoke nipples. Cost just a little more than regular ones. I laced the wheels myself, left them pretty loose, then took them to a bike shop to have them trued. I think they charged me $30 to do it. Don't forget those bearings!

• MXOldtimer

Posted February 03, 2001 - 07:22 AM

Anodizing is a staining isn't it not a coating ?
Will it affect thread or bearing cup size ?
I was changing one of my fork seals and I was looking at my upper tube thinging how cool it would be to color them.

• BBRguy

Posted February 04, 2001 - 05:16 PM

my rearsprocket blew up, and scratched my rim all up ( see the post "exploding rear rim hapened to me! almost...")but now i have to get the silver ring around my inner rim black again...how should i go about it?any suggestions? let me know, peace out yall.
-Eric

• motoman393

Posted February 05, 2001 - 01:20 PM

hey Eric,
I didnt see how bad the scratch was ...but try a sharpie marker and it might match (try it in a samll area first)! Or you can try the grill paint that someone suggested just tape up your spokes and paint where it scratched (that big line around your rim)

Garrett

------------------
Friendswood, TX

• EMARacing

Posted February 05, 2001 - 05:05 PM

Originally posted by MXOldtimer:
Anodizing is a staining isn't it not a coating ?
Will it affect thread or bearing cup size ?
I was changing one of my fork seals and I was looking at my upper tube thinging how cool it would be to color them.

Anodizing is like a stain. In un-scientific terms its an acid that "etches" a color onto the surface. It does not affect the threads or bearing cup size at all.

• ToddW

Posted February 07, 2001 - 06:49 AM

Anodizing tends to add about .0005 to .0015 to the material. Check with your anodizer first but, most places can mask a specified area. The press fit on your bearings in your hubs is about .001-.002 so the added thickness could cause probs. Good luck

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.