WR450F 2005 issues

4 replies to this topic
  • sean01

Posted July 16, 2010 - 09:53 PM

hi,
last week end i started my bike and it seemed really lean @ idle but everywhere else in the rev range was 99% fine..
@ idle it sounded real fluffy and poppy..
the 1% was occasionally it would appear to run out of fuel in the top of the rev range..
so anyways i drew to the conclusion that it obviously had crap in the carby..

today i stripped the carb to bits and cleaned and blew it all out.
checked the float level and assembled it.

installed it and ran the engine and now it is basically worse than before.. it will only idle with the choke on and the mixture has no effect screwed right in but gets doughy screwing it out to about 2.5 turns (which is where it was originally).

i checked the choke mech again and all was fine.
i checked the air cut valve which i modded about 2yrs ago and havent had a drama since now.(blocked and plunger turned around)
i checked the hot start mech and all is fine.
iv checked the valve clearance, they were larger than normal..( around 8 & 10 thou) 1 thing i didnt look at was the lobes on the exhaust but inlets were fine..
i changed the spark plug to a new one.
checked the air cleaner
have done the oring mod on the pump mech.
iv checked all electrical connections and WD40'ed them.

the carb is running stock jets and a full big gun pipe.

just looking to see if anyone has had a similar drama before i start stripping it to bits..

also im guessing the problem originated from washing the bike as thats the only thing that had been done to it before the problem started..

also im having problems with water pump seals... i can install a new seal and without fail the following week it will be weeping out the hole in the pump cover..
i'v been thru a few seals now (different brands) and replaced the shaft but it still happens..
the seal is getting installed the exact same way it was originally installed when i got the bike (secondhand)
im guessing maybe a previous owner has installed the seal backwards..

can anyone confirm the correct direction for the seal please..

cheers

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 17, 2010 - 05:52 AM

Sounds like you may have put the slide plate in upside down when you reassembled the carb. The plate sits on the engine side of the slide with the cutout facing down. It is possible to put it in with the cutout facing up which will result in symptoms much like what you're describing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted July 17, 2010 - 08:16 AM

also im having problems with water pump seals... i can install a new seal and without fail the following week it will be weeping out the hole in the pump cover..
i'v been thru a few seals now (different brands) and replaced the shaft but it still happens..
the seal is getting installed the exact same way it was originally installed when i got the bike (secondhand)
im guessing maybe a previous owner has installed the seal backwards..

can anyone confirm the correct direction for the seal please..

cheers

The seal lips need to face the liquids they are sealing. They end up face to face with the flat side with the writing on both facing towards the weep hole chamber.

• sean01

Posted July 17, 2010 - 04:13 PM

Sounds like you may have put the slide plate in upside down when you reassembled the carb. The plate sits on the engine side of the slide with the cutout facing down. It is possible to put it in with the cutout facing up which will result in symptoms much like what you're describing.

hmm ok, well i totally overlooked this while assembling it and it would make sense as it probably produces an air leak if installed wrong..

cheers, ill sus it out

The seal lips need to face the liquids they are sealing. They end up face to face with the flat side with the writing on both facing towards the weep hole chamber.

i know how seals work but this seal is a single double seal with and it would appear that no matter which way its installed it would serve the same purpose but as theres coolant pressure on one side and no pressure on the other, its hard to now which is the pressure side of the seal...

actually while typing this i think i answered my own question as im pretty sure the seal is directional too. iv just never really looked at it this way as i have just been replacing the seal as they come out but as it still leaks im now sus on the seal placement..

cheers

• sean01

Posted July 17, 2010 - 10:47 PM

yep turned the slide plate around and worked a treat..

but one problem still exists.
at the top of the rev range power just dies off like it is valve floating but i doubt it is..
doesnt happen all the time either... and like i said it seemed to happen after the bike was washed.. and iv wd40'ed all the electric connections...

Edited by sean01, July 18, 2010 - 04:34 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.