Should i try a trade???

8 replies to this topic
  • 09speeddemon

Posted July 16, 2010 - 09:18 PM

I bought my 01 yz426 for $500 and i put 400 into it. Should i try and trade it for a yz250 smoker?? Just want to know your thoughts

• farfromhome63

Posted July 16, 2010 - 09:26 PM

Yes If you can. The 426 was heavy and underpowered compared to the yz250. The 01 was a pretty good year as it was the last of that model 97-01. The motors are bulletproof and were good bottom to mid engines. The suspension isnt the greatest as they are kayaba cartridge forks but they can work. the engine is what makes the bike easy to ride. I think it won a few shootouts that year. Either way the yz will be easier to ride for longer mainly because of the weight diff 224lbs vs 260+ for the yzf.. Just my opinion

• hillclimbguy

Posted July 17, 2010 - 04:37 PM

I agree, though you have a decent bike, the smoker is much more forgiving on the tight stuff. Just my 2 cents!

• cowboyona426

Posted July 19, 2010 - 06:54 AM

I wouldn't do it myself. BTW farfromhome, 98-99 was the YZ400F and 00-02 was the 426.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DMC707

Posted July 19, 2010 - 07:34 AM

I'd do that in a heartbeat if you already had a decent 250 in mind ---- An older 250 2 stroke is still a competitive bike in many classes

I have heard too many "ticking timebomb" stories about 10 year old racing 4 strokes to trust one for long unless i knew its ancestry from day one

• 09speeddemon

Posted July 19, 2010 - 09:53 PM

There is one a guy wants to trade but he needs to replace the pinion gear first. I hope it works out its a clean bike

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 20, 2010 - 01:15 PM

There is one a guy wants to trade but he needs to replace the pinion gear first. I hope it works out its a clean bike

Whether or not you trade has a lot to do with how and where you ride.

yz250's have their advantages. Yamaha 4 strokes last forever , even after taking a serious beating. But... yz smokers are cheaper to rebuild the first time.

If you are going to do the trade, try to trade for same year/condition. 4 strokes arent worth very much. 2 strokes are worth even less. Bike values really suck.

• 09speeddemon

Posted July 20, 2010 - 06:38 PM

Whether or not you trade has a lot to do with how and where you ride.

yz250's have their advantages. Yamaha 4 strokes last forever , even after taking a serious beating. But... yz smokers are cheaper to rebuild the first time.

If you are going to do the trade, try to trade for same year/condition. 4 strokes arent worth very much. 2 strokes are worth even less. Bike values really suck.

That's the hard part I ride trails, open riding and desert and No track riding. So I'm still up in the air on the trade I'm not sure what bike would be better for my kind of riding.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 22, 2010 - 10:27 PM

That's the hard part I ride trails, open riding and desert and No track riding. So I'm still up in the air on the trade I'm not sure what bike would be better for my kind of riding.

I also ride in the desert. I race D37 on my yz250 and trail ride on my wr450. So what does that tell you?

I am probably a bit faster overall on my wr450 but a whole lot more tired. I have more fun on my yz250 but I'm more competitive in my class (smaller). Riding the 2 stroke is making me a better rider overall. Its demanding compared to 4 strokes.

sometimes you should just just ride what you got. There is nothing at all wrong with the bike you got. Spend some money on your suspension instead. You'll see a big difference.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.