Kouba lowering link report

Today I installed the Kouba link (http://www.koubalink.com/)and a homemade brass washer between the swingarm mounting bracket and the right side of the shockarm (ref Link problems http://www.wtvl.net/n1rzc/issues/ ).

I have the stock triple clamps. Some time ago, I used a little trick to raise the bars by purchasing another set of upper bar clamps and longer bolts. Turned one set of upper bar clamps upside-down and placed it on top of the bottom bar clamps. This raises the bars, but also moves them toward the rider a little because of the rake of the steering stem.

The raised handlebars also gives me alot to room in which to raise the forks above the top of the triple clamps. After adding the link, I raised the forks by 31 mm (measured from the top of the triple clamps to the top outside edge of the fork tube.

After putting everything together I measured the sag. Without any adjustment the sag came out:

Race sag: 102 mm

Static sag: 28 mm

Since these two measurements move in the same direction when preload is changed I could have easily attained 95-100 mm race and 25 mm static. But it isn't worth the trouble to me.

Went out for a short test ride, just a few miles, of paved road and dirt.

First impression, the XR felt like it had been SuperMotarded. Big difference in height. I did not experience any headshake, probably because both the forks and shock were adjusted together. I was just lucky because I didn't really know how much to raise the forks. The feel of being closer to the road or dirt will take a little getting use, but the ability to almost standup with both feet on the ground when the bike is at a stop is great. ? You definitely notice how much closer to the ground you are when turning and extending your inside leg.

• 1 month later...

did you notice the suspension was any softer? I am interested in a link, but don't want to have to re-valve. It is logical to me that this could affect rear suspesion action since the geometry is now different, just not sure how.

motometal,

My suspension was a little stiff after I put in heavier springs. I have not revalved because I am not a racer and I was satisfied with clicker adjustments.

After installing the lowering link, I would say that the ride has smoothed out a bit, but I attribute that to a lower center of gravity. The overall balance (front to rear) is great and I really love the cornering. No trouble with bottoming or squatting down in the rear under load.

I qualify my statements by saying that I am an intermediate rider, but I ride pretty fast and hang well with an expert rider on a CR500. Can't match his aggressive style, but I don't keep him waiting either. ?