Which selector fork?

I think you'll find it's item #9, shift fork 2, PN 5BE-18502-10-00. The fork is the only one on the main shaft, and moves the 3rd pinion in order to engage 4th and 5th.

If you're having trouble with 5th staying engaged under a load, the 3rd and 5th pinions are at fault. The fork will have been damaged, though, and should be replaced.

I think you'll find it's item #9, shift fork 2, PN 5BE-18502-10-00. The fork is the only one on the main shaft, and moves the 3rd pinion in order to engage 4th and 5th.

If you're having trouble with 5th staying engaged under a load, the 3rd and 5th pinions are at fault. The fork will have been damaged, though, and should be replaced.

sorry to hijack but i have the same problem with my 05 wr450f.

at the start of the problem it would slip in and out of gear but now just appears as a neutral gear..

ok you are mentioning pinions but wat are you actually referring to? shift forks? shift fork shafts? ???

no pinions in the above parts diagram..

ok you are mentioning pinions but wat are you actually referring to? shift forks? shift fork shafts? ???

No diagram in your link.

In Yamaha parts nomenclature, the pinions are the gears on the main shaft which drive the "wheel" gears on the output shaft. The locking lugs wear round and will no longer hold in gear under a load.

the link is in the first post..

and im with you now, there better known as "dogs", the edges wear away which forces the gears to jump and then suddenly disappear.

this is what i thought was wrong with mine but when you named them as pinions it threw me off a bit...

im not sure what causes this issue, but from what i gather it could be caused from the hugh difference in ratio from 4th-5th.. my brother has an 06 wr450f and 5th gear ratio is no where near as wide apart.

cheers