Rare Find 1998 YZ400-FK1

18 replies to this topic
  • gettintall

Posted July 14, 2010 - 08:52 PM

I picked this up a while back,I had a really nice 1986 TT350,was a great bike but slow,or I should say low on the grin factor,anyway this guy in the army had this bike and had never got the chance to use it,he claimed it had less than 20 hrs on,I bought it for 1650,it seemed worth that to me,I put a DID ert2 chain on it,not because the old one was wore out,I like the way the DID looks,picked up some RMA sprokets off rocky mtn for like 16 bucks a piece so I could play with the gearing,and blue sprokets look kool,bike has all original plastic and graphics,heck even has the original tires on it.here are some pics,I thought I would share cause you dont see many 12 year old yzs that look like this.Look at the engine cases and how little wear there is.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 15, 2010 - 04:38 AM

"The bike that changed MX forever"

Awesome find, Doug Henry would be proud !:smirk:

• cowboyona426

Posted July 15, 2010 - 06:37 AM

I doubt there are very many non-restored 400's that look like that still! What a nice find!

• gettintall

Posted July 15, 2010 - 07:25 AM

I would love to get a signature of doug henry scribbled on my number plate,that would make my day,I hate to get ris of bike but I need an enduro style bike,I am gonna try a 14/50 and a 14/51 gearing on it,14/49 is OEM,I thought about a flywheel and Mr Stealy said for a hundred bucks he will send me a 10 oz,I wonder if 4 ozs will make a diff,it has a six on it.the bike is really fun to ride and it is so simple to start I have heard all these stories about how tricky it is to fire this beast up,I fired it up the other day it had been sitting been sitting a good two or three weeks,and I always pull choke,squeeze decomp and roll it through a couple times,move it past tdc a hair and snap it,my girl talks to me almost everytime,Ive never had to kick 3 times.Thanks for compliments.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 15, 2010 - 07:38 AM

For woods gearing go with 13/52. You could climb a brick wall with that setup. I never ran a flywheel weight on my 426, just a spark arrested pipe and 13/52 gearing (along with all the usual guards and such of course). LOVED that bike in the woods, was a much better woods bike than this damn 450 I have now.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 15, 2010 - 08:04 AM

I would love to get a signature of doug henry scribbled on my number plate,that would make my day,I hate to get ris of bike but I need an enduro style bike,I am gonna try a 14/50 and a 14/51 gearing on it,14/49 is OEM,I thought about a flywheel and Mr Stealy said for a hundred bucks he will send me a 10 oz,I wonder if 4 ozs will make a diff,it has a six on it.the bike is really fun to ride and it is so simple to start I have heard all these stories about how tricky it is to fire this beast up,I fired it up the other day it had been sitting been sitting a good two or three weeks,and I always pull choke,squeeze decomp and roll it through a couple times,move it past tdc a hair and snap it,my girl talks to me almost everytime,Ive never had to kick 3 times.Thanks for compliments.

"decompressor" YZ's are NOT difficult to start unless some raw fuel is introduced into a hot engine. Here's a few tips I learned way back when:
when starting, keep your throttle hand rigid, don't let your wrist twist the throttle as you're kicking ! If you lowside crash, you are certain to let some unwanted fuel into the engine. tug, and hold the decompressor and kick the bike like 6 times to get some fresh air in, and then do the normal start regiment. Once you learn your engine, it's fairly easy starting the YZF's

• Mikeb12

Posted July 15, 2010 - 09:05 AM

20 hours my ass. has that bike ever been started? it is beautiful, nice find.

• gettintall

Posted July 15, 2010 - 10:34 AM

On the rear wheel there is a left and a right wheel bearing cover,which are also spacers,does anyone know for a fact which side the brass colored spacer goes on is it the sprocket side or the brake side?I am gonna try the 13/52 gearing,I can make that happen for under thirty dollars,so that is a cost savings verses the flywheel weight,but is that gonna help the stalling issue,it does not stall alot on me now that I am more use to machine,and when starting I grasp the brake reservoir,I accidently twisted the throttle when starting once and it nearly kicked me off,literally.Thanks for the tips and comments.I am leaveing in morning for 10 days of northern michigan fun,MY daughter rides a ttr-110 with a two bros pipe,really sweet little bike,sure is a lot faster than her ttr 90 was,and my wife rides a klx 110 which is a blast also,not as quick as the ttr but its a great bike,wife is only like 105lbs so it scoots good.gonna get my girl all dirty,YES````YES

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 15, 2010 - 11:33 AM

WHERE IS EVERYONE FINDING THESE NEW/OLD BIKES AT!?!?!?! :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gettintall

Posted July 15, 2010 - 12:41 PM

Craigslist is where mine was located

• cowboyona426

Posted July 15, 2010 - 02:52 PM

The lower gearing will make it less prone to stall in the woods. My trick when I'm starting my bike is to squeeze/hold the front brake to keep me from twisting the throttle.

• CTinCT

Posted July 27, 2010 - 12:16 PM

You should not ride that bike. I would LOVE to put that on a shelf in my living room. E-mail me if you decide you would like to sell it. Txtel16@aol.com THANKS!

• yzfrider1

Posted July 27, 2010 - 09:52 PM

Can't remember, a friend of mine had that bike, but did the radiators come black from Yamaha? Wondering why they were painted if not. That bike looks clean though.

• Ryan426

Posted July 28, 2010 - 07:29 PM

I'm running 15/49 on my 426. I cruise at 70+ mph at low rpms. I do alot of single track and have no problems creeping in 1st.

• gettintall

Posted July 28, 2010 - 07:50 PM

No the radiators are original,the bike has never been apart,I have 14/51 on it right now and I am gonna change it to a 13t front and play around,I have a 49,50,51t rears

• crf450319

Posted July 29, 2010 - 09:53 AM

I'd have trouble riding something like that, instead I'd want to put it in the garage inside a glass case. That thing is S-W-E-E-T !!

• BigDave75

Posted July 29, 2010 - 01:18 PM

Very nice!

• gettintall

Posted August 04, 2010 - 05:29 PM

its a pretty bike might be trading for a kdx 220 thats in good shape and some cash,I need more of a trail bike that fits me,im going to try out saturday

• cowboyona426

Posted August 05, 2010 - 06:45 AM

I wouldn't trade that gem for a dang 'ol KDX 220...
Lower gearing
Spark arrestor
Handguards

You now have a very woods friendly YZ 400F.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.