2000 YZ426F is it worth it

21 replies to this topic
  • kid321123

Posted July 14, 2010 - 08:19 AM

I was riding on a track yesterday and bottomed out hitting a jump then shortly after that i heard my valves chattering and the bike just shut off. When i got f the track i noticed that oil was pouring out of the bottom of the bike so i looked a little closer to see that i cracked the case where the drain bolt screws in. I am sure i am going to need a new piston and rings valves and of course the case. How much do you think it would cost with labor parts and all the other BS. Also what do you think could of caused this ?

• ReedRulz

Posted July 14, 2010 - 08:37 AM

I'm gona say the bike is not worth fixing. Your looking at over $2,000 to fix the motor. You would have to have somebody open it up to know what all it needs. Its possible you could need a new piston, cylinder, rod, crank, valves, valve seats and guides, case. Its also possible that you scared your cams, cam towers, buckets and who knows what else. Then again it may not have messed up much at all. You have to look inside to find out.

• kid321123

Posted July 14, 2010 - 12:56 PM

Do you possibly know what could of caused it? also do you think it would at least be worth it to have someone split the case and se what all the damage is ?

• ReedRulz

Posted July 14, 2010 - 03:06 PM

Do you possibly know what could of caused it? also do you think it would at least be worth it to have someone split the case and se what all the damage is ?

I dont know for sure what caused it but when you bottomed out it might of hit a rock or something causing it to break. The part of the case where the drain bolt is is the weakest area because of the drain hole. If it were me i'd have the cases split and inspected. You never know, it could end up being waisted money or a pretty cheap fix.

• kid321123

Posted July 16, 2010 - 01:07 PM

thankyou very much iam gunna bring it in and get the case split and see what the damage is.

• DMC707

Posted July 16, 2010 - 06:46 PM

Thats a tough one ---- if it has required little so far and you dont have a ton of money recently sunk into it (custom suspension, and other parts that are specific to that bike) --- might be easier to part it out and go shopping

I would give it a pat on the butt and put it out to pasture. No oil plus chattering sounds many times is the kiss of death.

but hopefully, a decent mechanic can inspect it for you for an hour or two labor cost -- paying 100- 150 for this may save you a bundle

• 09speeddemon

Posted July 16, 2010 - 09:04 PM

Look on EBAY you can get the cases cheap and any other part you may need. I'm sure you can find someone to do the work for around 500(not including parts of course) a lot of mechanic that work at the dealers do side job's

• kid321123

Posted July 16, 2010 - 09:55 PM

thanks iam gonna bring it in tomorrow to troy city and let them rip it apart and see what they say if they say it needs a lot iam just gonna part it out but its a really nice bike i bought it and it already had new plastics a custom suspension and was in mint condition. I just don't get how it happend

• kid321123

Posted July 23, 2010 - 04:44 PM

I was told it would cost $$800 for everything piston ,rings crank and the case but. I don't know if you can replace just that one case or do you have to replace both someone please get back to me on That

• 09speeddemon

Posted July 23, 2010 - 09:51 PM

I was told it would cost $$800 for everything piston ,rings crank and the case but. I don't know if you can replace just that one case or do you have to replace both someone please get back to me on That

You can only replace one side I have done it many times. Some times you can get both for the price as one....... Thats a good price for the rebuild

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kid321123

Posted July 24, 2010 - 07:25 AM

Iam gunna rebuild it but I have another question I just started riding again about 5 months ago I first bought a 250f and it was a pos so I bought the 426 i love the bike but I don't like the way the gearing is I don't want as much speed what should I do either fix and sell my 426 and buy a 250 or change the sprocket sizes

• ReedRulz

Posted July 24, 2010 - 07:27 AM

Iam gunna rebuild it but I have another question I just started riding again about 5 months ago I first bought a 250f and it was a pos so I bought the 426 i love the bike but I don't like the way the gearing is I don't want as much speed what should I do either fix and sell my 426 and buy a 250 or change the sprocket sizes

Change the sprocket size.

• 09speeddemon

Posted July 24, 2010 - 07:49 AM

change the gearing

• grayracer513

Posted July 24, 2010 - 08:25 AM

You can only replace one side I have done it many times. Some times you can get both for the price as one....... Thats a good price for the rebuild

You should NEVER replace one crankcase. They are bored through as a pair, and mixing cases can put the bearings in a misaligned state.

• 09speeddemon

Posted July 24, 2010 - 12:20 PM

You should NEVER replace one crankcase. They are bored through as a pair, and mixing cases can put the bearings in a misaligned state.

Why do they sale one side only from the dealers??? Don't get me wrong i see what your saying but people have been doing this for many years.

• grayracer513

Posted July 24, 2010 - 04:08 PM

Why do they sale one side only from the dealers??? Don't get me wrong i see what your saying but people have been doing this for many years.

They don't. Find me the page in the catalog where there is a different part number for the left and right crankcases.

• 09speeddemon

Posted July 24, 2010 - 08:17 PM

They don't. Find me the page in the catalog where there is a different part number for the left and right crankcases.

I have never looked all i know is that i have bought just a left side (crank case) from a dealer put it together with no problems as they said (yfz450) i have also done the same with trx 250r's........ Like i said i understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense,,

• grayracer513

Posted July 25, 2010 - 07:15 AM

I have never looked all i know is that i have bought just a left side (crank case) from a dealer put it together with no problems as they said (yfz450) i have also done the same with trx 250r's........ Like i said i understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense,,

You bought a left side crankcase cover. Yamaha does not sell the crankcases separately, nor does anyone else I'm aware of. See item #1 here:

http://oem.thumperta...0_crankcase.gif

• kid321123

Posted July 25, 2010 - 10:11 AM

Troy city does sell them seperate

• grayracer513

Posted July 25, 2010 - 10:21 AM

Troy city does sell them seperate

Not new, because they can't buy them from Yamaha separately. And it's still a bad idea.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.