Best skid plate to buy

16 replies to this topic
  • crush6742

Posted July 13, 2010 - 03:10 PM

I'm looking to buy a skid plate for an '08 yz450f. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best plate for the money?

• Wiz636

Posted July 13, 2010 - 04:30 PM

While I do not have one of their skidplates, I do have their radiator cages and they have a well thought out design and excellent quality. The owner is an offroader also. When I need a new skidplate I will buy one from them. I like that they offer both lightweight and heavy duty skidplates.

http://www.scorpionracing.ca/

• rjcook450

Posted July 13, 2010 - 05:52 PM

I went with the gytr enduro plate for mine, got it off ebay for $90

• buzzgrizz

Posted July 13, 2010 - 07:09 PM

devol enough said

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2010 - 07:49 PM

I have a Devol, and it's a good bargain. I like that it uses the OEM mounting points, fits well, and protects pretty well. It could cover the cases a little better.

Price was about a 6 (1 is free, 10 is exorbitant) quality 8, fit 9, protection 7.

The Scorpion offers considerably better case coverage, IMO, and if I needed one now, I'd look into it.

• norcal_hoss

Posted July 13, 2010 - 07:53 PM

Do any of these have the hole cut out to drain your oil or do you have to take the skid plate off everytime?

• 07 crf230f

Posted July 13, 2010 - 07:56 PM

The thumpertalk store has one for only $83.:smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2010 - 08:05 PM

Do any of these have the hole cut out to drain your oil or do you have to take the skid plate off everytime?

The Devol has a cutout for the sump drain, but not the "oil tank" on the right front. I fixed that with a hole saw and a piece of sheet metal. The sheet metal funnel is inserted through the hole to drain, and removed afterward:

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BaileyAZ

Posted July 13, 2010 - 08:34 PM

[quote name='grayracer513']I have a Devol, and it's a good bargain. I like that it uses the OEM mounting points, fits well, and protects pretty well. It could cover the cases a little better.

Price was about a 6 (1 is free, 10 is exorbitant) quality 8, fit 9, protection 7.

X2

• Jim813

Posted July 13, 2010 - 09:50 PM

I have a Devol, and it's a good bargain. I like that it uses the OEM mounting points, fits well, and protects pretty well. It could cover the cases a little better.

The Scorpion offers considerably better case coverage, IMO, and if I needed one now, I'd look into it.

I'd give it the same rating on all accounts.

I must say it's a bit thinner material than I would have liked, although I'm really impressed it's stayed together completely for over two years now.

• davcon

Posted July 14, 2010 - 04:36 AM

Have had good luck with the GYTR plate. Uses the stock mounting locations. Raced in the VCGP which is a rock garden with no issues. Not the cheapest tho.
Posted Image

• cowboyona426

Posted July 14, 2010 - 06:34 AM

I have the Works Connection skid plate on mine. Bought it because... well it was about the only one available at the time. No complaints, but I do wish it had some protection for the side covers.

• WB450

Posted July 14, 2010 - 06:53 AM

X3:thumbsup:

• Matt Tiede

Posted July 14, 2010 - 07:36 AM

If you want to go for Devol, we can get it for you:
http://shop.thumpert...ode=PU_05060229

• crush6742

Posted July 14, 2010 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for all the great insight. The GYTR looks like it has the best all around coverage.

• Fabulous

Posted July 15, 2010 - 12:54 PM

I have Scorpion rad, and skid plates, and they are awesome! I liked them so much I got some for my Wife's 250X as well. I used to have a YZ, and had Devol units, but I think the Scorpion are far superior.

• tribalbc

Posted July 15, 2010 - 07:47 PM

The Scorpion has a cut out for the oil tank up front, as well as a divot on the bottom of the plate on that side with a tiny hole for the leftover dribbles :smirk:
Mounting to the motor mounts gives these babies lot's of strength.There is not a better thought out skid plate IMO.
The owners also a great guy and not only does he ride but he supports lots of races here in BC (his local area)
Here's a pic of one on my WR450.

Posted Image

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.