Oil Question

4 replies to this topic
  • billyboy11b

Posted June 13, 2003 - 04:44 AM

Greetings all.

I have been told that I need to run a synthetic oil in my son's XR350R, and was hoping someone could reccomend one that I can run in both that bike and my XR650L. I've heard that one cannot use synthetic to break in a motorcycle. Since I'm going to be breaking in my '650L, I need to confirm or dispell this rumor. The XR350R seems to be nearly stock, having only an aftermarket air filter. My '650L has alot of modifications.
Another question: Will jetting a tad rich make a bike run cooler? What about running a high octane fuel? I'm determined to take good care of the '350R, and have been warned about that model and year having horrible overheating problems.

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it greatly.

• smashinz2002

Posted June 13, 2003 - 06:23 PM

Hi. To answer your questions the best I can, here goes.

1. Use Honda GN4 oil in both bikes. There is no need to use synthetic oil in an old XR350R unless you just want to.
2. During break-in of your XRL, once again I would suggest Honda GN4. Even if synthetic oil is safe for break-in, there is no reason to spend the extra money on it. GN4 is a very good oil for any bike out there, both new and old. It has a lot of motorcycle specific additives. Keep in mind that car oil only lubricates the engine, while motorcycle oil must act as an engine lubricant, as well as transmission fluid, and wet clutch fluid.
3. Jetting a bike richer will make it run cooler, provided the intake and exhaust are opened up enough to let it breathe more freely. Jetting a bike too rich will wash oil off the cylinder and cause excess engine wear. Jetting too lean will overheat an engine and produce less power also.
4. High octane fuel has no effect on engine temperature, but low octane fuel will cause pinging and engine stress.
Octane is just the flash point of the fuel nothing more.
5. You don't mention what year your XR350 is, so I can't give you any info on it having overheating problems. If it does overheat, most likely it's an overly lean jetting issue, since that bike is air cooled, that's the only possibility.
Hope this helps you out some!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • billyboy11b

Posted June 14, 2003 - 04:08 AM

Yikes! I should have definately been more specific, I'm sorry.

The XR350R is a 1983 model with an '84 front end, but appears stock beyond that. It will have a Barnum's cam in it when it starts being used in a few weeks.

The XR650L is a 1993 model, and has the following engine mods: K&N filter, Edelbrock Pumper Carb, top end bored to 101mm (one over stock, I'm told) with an LA sleeve. Stock header with a Supertrapp EAR exhaust.

We live in El Paso, and ride primarily open roads, with occasional deep sand (me only on the '650L, my son's not that good yet), and the altitude generally stays right around 6000-6500. The '350R has stock jetting, I checked when I tore down the carbs and cleaned them.

Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it.

• Dutch

Posted June 14, 2003 - 06:11 AM

If ever there was a candidate for Mobil One 15/50 you are it, (IMHO). Air cooled bikes, El Paso, deep sand, kids going slow. Look into it, synthetic is the only way to go.

• georgiajim

Posted June 16, 2003 - 07:52 AM

Synthetic to break in a motor? I wouldn't run synthetic in any motor until it broken in. The "friction" actually makes things "fit" better, ensuring a good seal between the rings and the cylinder wall. just my 2cents.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.