2010 450 hot start tips/help

36 replies to this topic
  • Beatcoaster

Posted July 15, 2010 - 01:43 PM

Like others have said, they are the same...My problem is that I do woods riding here with my friends, but open trails/dirt roads/hills and fields at my property in Eastern Wa, so I am trying to find a good in between. Hopefully the 51T will help, but if I have to go to a 12T on the front I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world. I already want a 6th gear on the thing as it sits though, as I have found myself in 5th just cruising along wanting a few less revs at speed. Oh well, I bought a YZ not a WR, and have to make the best of it since I'm not flying 100' in the air off a triple! :smirk:

Beatcoaster, any idea if the internal gear ratios changed from the 06-09 spec to the 2010 spec? I went 1 tooth smaller up front my 450 and its still not low enough for the real tight stuff. I had my 426 at 13/52 and it was a beast in the woods, to get the same results on my 450 I'd need to go 12/52 or 13/55 because the internal ratios changed from what the 426 had. I'm running 12/49 now and I'm getting quite a bit of wear on my X-ring chain from the TM Designworks slider, so I think I'm gonna have to buy another dang chain and a 55 tooth rear.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 15, 2010 - 02:51 PM

Where in eastern WA do you have land? I live in Newport near Spokane and for the real tight stuff around here my current 12/49 isn't low enough. You may have to swap between woods gearing and desert gearing.

• Beatcoaster

Posted July 15, 2010 - 04:54 PM

Right on the border of WA/ID, nice places to go out there. Newport is about 3 hours from my property which is outside of Tonasket, about 15 minutes East on highway 20, up Cayuse Mountain Road. Lots of dirt roads in the area when I get sick of the little tracks we have made on our 20 acres. It is a great training ground for my wife but I am ready to rent an excavator and start making some jumps and a track - been watching too many mx videos! :smirk:

• mediumfast

Posted July 15, 2010 - 07:07 PM

I've had mine since January and I've had the programmer since January or February. The programmer isn't going to help the starting. Contrary to popular belief it won't give the bike more power either. There's one other trick I use to start mine when it's hot. I know this will fly in the face of what we know about starting 4-strokes but it works for me. I crack the throttle slightly and it starts in one kick. By slightly I mean very little throttle. Not 1/4 or 1/8 turn but maybe 1/16th. I don't know why it works but it works for me.

• mediumfast

Posted July 15, 2010 - 07:13 PM

Right on the border of WA/ID, nice places to go out there. Newport is about 3 hours from my property which is outside of Tonasket, about 15 minutes East on highway 20, up Cayuse Mountain Road. Lots of dirt roads in the area when I get sick of the little tracks we have made on our 20 acres. It is a great training ground for my wife but I am ready to rent an excavator and start making some jumps and a track - been watching too many mx videos! :smirk:

If you want to ride a well groomed, well organized track (and you're in Eastern, WA.) you might want to travel to Horn Rapids ORV in West Richland. Go to the website for details.

• Scrubba

Posted July 16, 2010 - 01:46 AM

I've had mine since January and I've had the programmer since January or February. The programmer isn't going to help the starting. Contrary to popular belief it won't give the bike more power either. There's one other trick I use to start mine when it's hot. I know this will fly in the face of what we know about starting 4-strokes but it works for me. I crack the throttle slightly and it starts in one kick. By slightly I mean very little throttle. Not 1/4 or 1/8 turn but maybe 1/16th. I don't know why it works but it works for me.

exactly!

cold start: neutral, no throttle 1-3 kicks
hot start: neutral, crack open the throttle and hold open slightly 1-2 kicks.

• tech24

Posted July 16, 2010 - 04:22 AM

You know I havent tried cracking the throttle though I should have cause I know a tad more air is what its asking for so Im sure that will be the ticket.

What do racers do on the track after a stall? Sit there and try to find nuetral and watch the bikes go by?

• APlusAutoParts

Posted July 16, 2010 - 10:01 AM

I was running 2nd on the last lap of my second moto, stalled at the base of the finish line jump. i was just trying to start it in 3rd (which was the gear i was in when i stalled) ended up with a 7th place finish

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted July 16, 2010 - 10:11 AM

I was running 2nd on the last lap of my second moto, stalled at the base of the finish line jump. i was just trying to start it in 3rd (which was the gear i was in when i stalled) ended up with a 7th place finish

ouch that sucks! Wish there was a way to lean out start mixture with tuner (if that would help at least)
I guess cracking the throttle accomplishes this though

• cowboyona426

Posted July 19, 2010 - 06:57 AM

I sort of know the Tonasket area... wife was raised on the other side of the hill in Winthrop. I'd rather be there than here!

• tech24

Posted July 19, 2010 - 07:04 AM

pulling fast idle + Nuetral= 1 kick starts when hot, PIA but it works. I also tried cracking the throttle that worked as well. Kinda needs a lever to actuate the fast idle and let a little more air in. Thanks for all the comments fellas.

• Mick17

Posted July 19, 2010 - 09:00 AM

If you have to crack the throttle to get it to start, could it be a TPS adjustment issue?

• tech24

Posted July 19, 2010 - 09:42 AM

If you have to crack the throttle to get it to start, could it be a TPS adjustment issue?

I don't have to it was just suggested to ease hot starts by letting a tad more air in but pulling the cold start knob to let some more air in works as well. I don't think any of this should be necessary on a fuel injected bike but for some reason it is.

BTW my idle was low at 1700 so I bumped that up to 2k as well.

• Beatcoaster

Posted July 20, 2010 - 06:23 AM

I don't think any of this should be necessary on a fuel injected bike but for some reason it is.

I could not agree more - it's almost comical for an FI system to have issues like these at all.

• Skotten

Posted November 21, 2010 - 11:53 AM

How did you get on with the woods map , felt like a giant trials bike with that map.

• tech24

Posted November 22, 2010 - 05:11 AM

How did you get on with the woods map , felt like a giant trials bike with that map.

I like the map it only really feels different to me on initial throttle and past 1/3 it feels pretty much stuck. It does rob a little initial power at first but that kinda helps me ride it better in certain situations.

• Merc1212

Posted November 24, 2010 - 05:04 AM

+1 on slight crack of throttle when hot. When I say slight, I mean just barely opening... take the slack out of the cable and just a hair more. It's so little, that I find it difficult to hold steady as I kick it.

I can manage a first quick start most of the time when just practicing and under no stress, but I worry about a mid race crash or the dead engine starts at some of the enduro races I attend. Practice, practice, and more practice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.