2010 clutch problem

11 replies to this topic
  • drewbbie

Posted July 12, 2010 - 11:14 AM

i went rideing yesterday and every thing was all good went up this trail and it was steep so i get to the top and turn the bike off to let it cool down and me cool down aswell. so after ten minets i start to go again to find out i have no gears
i can feel the gears pop inn place when i shift but no go when i hit the gas
so lodgic would tell me that its the clutch i pulld it apart today and took a look at the plates and disks they look fine
so my question is this how can i tell if i glazed the clutch i always thought it would be shiney or smooth but they seem fine
next question is would the heat that built up in the cluch screw with the cable adjustment could it be i just need to readjust my cable seems unlikely

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2010 - 01:03 PM

How much free play do you have in the cable?

• drewbbie

Posted July 12, 2010 - 03:12 PM

well i took every thing apart but befor it was aboout a 1/4 of the clutch pull was free play

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2010 - 03:45 PM

Doesn't add up. I'm afraid you're just going to have to dig into it.

• drewbbie

Posted July 13, 2010 - 09:50 AM

well i started to dig in there and found that both the clutch disks and friction plates wer black im gonna go with the idea that there burnt and need new ones is this sound right to any one out there
also should i go with yamaha parts or is it worth spending the extra bling on someting els?

• tech24

Posted July 13, 2010 - 10:31 AM

You didn't have any slipping or early warning? I can't imagine disks to just fail all of the sudden. But anything is possible. How many hours on this thing?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drewbbie

Posted July 13, 2010 - 03:52 PM

like 20 hrs top
i went to the yamaha shop they wer stumpd
they said clutchs just dont die like that and usualy get hard mine didnt:s
the only thing they said was how often my oils changed wich im pretty strict about that usualy every 3 rides or 7 hrs

• tech24

Posted July 13, 2010 - 04:39 PM

wow very strange. This really intrests/scares me. Hope you get her fixed. Almost sounds like a broken shaft of something but hopefully not.

• BBrown626

Posted July 13, 2010 - 07:38 PM

Maybe a riding technique problem. You rarely need to slip the clutch on a 450.

• drewbbie

Posted July 13, 2010 - 08:44 PM

yea i was thinking the same thing the trail was verry steep loose with lots of switch backs i was useing the clutch alot i was even thinking that wen i was rideing just had a horrible never ending line rideing style had alot to do with it

• golybrown

Posted July 24, 2010 - 11:36 PM

i had the same thing happen on my 08 yz450
turned out to be burnt clutch plates,
my clutch plates were also black iinstead of the natural cork colour when i took them out,
let us know how you go
if your thinking of replacing the clutch plates yourself i used a barnett clutch kit from BTO sports... this might also help http://www.racerxonl...eplacement.aspx

Edited by golybrown, July 24, 2010 - 11:39 PM.
adding

• drewbbie

Posted July 25, 2010 - 04:57 PM

yea it was burnt plates took it back to my yamaha shop and they hookd me up with some new ones dirt cheep
they said thats the first time they have seen that on a 2010

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.