Mods for 06 WR450

12 replies to this topic
  • BrentBWR

Posted July 11, 2010 - 09:36 PM

Ive never modified my bikes more than exhaust, whats some other stuff you can do to give out a little more power?

• L. Euler

Posted July 12, 2010 - 09:46 AM

Other that the free stuff any significant boost gets complicated and expensive. Just curious though, why do you think you need more power. My 450 has much more power than traction or compliance with gravity.

• ForumSn0w

Posted July 12, 2010 - 04:52 PM

It can be nice to put a few bucks into your carb for tune-ability, but otherwise any money should be spent on setting up the suspension correctly. Always important is having money for gas and spare parts such as tires and levers, you know the common stuff that wears and tears.

• Bosco83

Posted July 12, 2010 - 05:57 PM

Maybe he rides all dunes and is super crazy :smirk: I would go for cams next.

Brian

• Col Psoas

Posted July 12, 2010 - 06:21 PM

Honestly as I've said before I'm not really aware of 'power' being the problem with the newer 450's. Other than free mods I'd sink MY money into suspension and protection before I'd get too freaky trying to squeeze more power out of my bike

Think about it, which will make you faster: a Scotts/gpr damper or something like a rekluse clutch... or another 3hp. I know the answer most folks will give

• danfromnb

Posted July 12, 2010 - 06:27 PM

Honestly as I've said before I'm not really aware of 'power' being the problem with the newer 450's. Other than free mods I'd sink MY money into suspension and protection before I'd get too freaky trying to squeeze more power out of my bike

Think about it, which will make you faster: a Scotts/gpr damper or something like a rekluse clutch... or another 3hp. I know the answer most folks will give

I myself am starting with a steering damper. I think this is probably the first place any real money needs to be spent.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mrmonk7663

Posted July 12, 2010 - 08:30 PM

Frame protection, hand guards/bark busters, steering stabalizer ,gearing for your riding style, suspension, exhaust ,new jetting, air box mods yz exhaust cam high compression piston. This list will bring you from mild to wild. I also like the Tokyo mods fuel sump. It makes it real easy to drain the carb bowl. Also aftermarket fuel screw.
Suspension is next on my list. Cam and piston are last on my list because they aren't really needed but fun for the street :-). Also some like the vortex or dyna ignition. Haven't tried them myself.

Best bang for buck is settin up carb and suspension and adding exhaust and airbox mods. Don't forget a good air filter.

• jayh300

Posted July 13, 2010 - 07:21 AM

best money i have spent on my 06..... suspension....
smartperformanceinc.com

Edited by jhendr3702, July 13, 2010 - 08:05 AM.

• BrentBWR

Posted July 13, 2010 - 09:50 AM

Thanks, yes i was reading the free mods advertised in the message below similar to mine.Seems like theyll be sufficient, and maybe a little carb mod but thats it.Is there a free mod for the exhaust on a '06 450?

• jayh300

Posted July 13, 2010 - 09:55 AM

Thanks, yes i was reading the free mods advertised in the message below similar to mine.Seems like theyll be sufficient, and maybe a little carb mod but thats it.Is there a free mod for the exhaust on a '06 450?

if it still has oe exhaust, the end cap un bolts and the pea shooter does also... you can drill out the rivet and take out the inner most part of the end of that tip and it helps.. Mine was more of a challenge to get out than someothers on here, but it did come out...
i put a pmb insert on mine and really like it... runs good and is still quiet...
fairly cheap... like 70 ish i think.. it completly fills the hole in the end cap..

• Ivan Krashn

Posted July 13, 2010 - 08:24 PM

Bought my 06 new, rode it the first year with YZ throttle stop, clipped grey wire and uncorked stock exhaust, bike ran good. The following year I installed JD jetting, FMF Ti Q4, accelerator pump mods, adjustable leak jet, fuel screw opened up air box. Did all those mods at the same time so don't know which was most effective, but together they unleashed a beast. Maybe even made the bike harder to ride because of instant throttle response. I ride with guys on KTM 525's and have NO trouble staying with them. Mid range is especially strong. I wouldn't even consider a cam change. I have seen an indicated 94 mph with 13/50 gearing (only once) yet will cleanly putt at walking speed. Adjustable leak jet highly recommended.
With all that said, the Smart Performance Phase 4 fork mods and shock revalve was the best money spent. Transformed this bike on the rocky rooty single track I ride on. My advice would be to re-jet with JD and talk to Dave at Smart Performance first.

• BrentBWR

Posted July 13, 2010 - 10:41 PM

Other that the free stuff any significant boost gets complicated and expensive. Just curious though, why do you think you need more power. My 450 has much more power than traction or compliance with gravity.

Well for now im fine with the power....oh and yes some sand dunes will be in the future :smirk:

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 14, 2010 - 10:57 AM

A YZ needle is a cheaper fix than a JD kit. If you're racing at different elevations and areas go JD. If you weekend warrior then go YZ needle. Put money into a skid plate, suspension, bark busters and the fore mentioned carb work. Bar risers were a great add on for me and taller bars. I am even short. Shave your seat if you have a 30" inseam or less. A few days a week at the gym will lighten the bike up and lengthen your seat time:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.