Help! Losing coolant after WR 400 to 430 supermoto build

5 replies to this topic
  • Supernoddy

Posted July 11, 2010 - 10:59 AM

:) I'm having a lot of trouble after resleeving my wr with a 430 piston and sleeve from wiseco. It keeps dropping coolant. :lol:

I took her for a second short spin today on the road to test her out. Seemed fine untill five minutes after parking her up I hear a gurgling sound and see that the remote coolant reservoir is filling up with coolant

I checked the radiator and the level had dropped. mayonaise found behind the clutch basket cover :banana:

Previous to this when I first got the bike it was running fine untill it overheated one day and seized.Main bearings went and some swarf damaged the barrel and piston. That's why I went for the wr 430 conversion

it's been a nightmare since. i've had the engine out a few times.

I replaced the water pump seals and bearings and put a OEM head gasket in

I've a few questions for now and I'd REALLY aprreciate some advice

1. Why does the remote reservoir fill with coolant? and where is the likely problem?
2. AFAIK the barrel was not skimmed by the engineering company who ftted the sleeve...should this have been done?

Again any hints tips, jokes apreciated...I'm near the edge here :lol:

• Supernoddy

Posted July 11, 2010 - 11:30 AM

*cough*

• Birdy426

Posted July 11, 2010 - 10:08 PM

I've had a similar set of problems since putting a 444 kit on my 426...can't seem to make head gaskets live...If I find any hard fails, I will post up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • L. Euler

Posted July 12, 2010 - 09:42 AM

Did you replace the "O" ring on the coolant passage pipe that joins the cylinder to the case?

• Supernoddy

Posted July 12, 2010 - 12:19 PM

I've had a similar set of problems since putting a 444 kit on my 426...can't seem to make head gaskets live...If I find any hard fails, I will post up.

It's funny you should say that because when I got the 430 kit I put in the spurious gasket and it didn't last long. On examination when I took the barrel off it was in bits.

I tried OEM this time. Didn't last much longer

Thanks for the reply

• Supernoddy

Posted July 12, 2010 - 12:22 PM

Did you replace the "O" ring on the coolant passage pipe that joins the cylinder to the case?

No I didn't?

The problem though is coolant getting into the engine oil. I'm not sure how at that point the oil/coolant could mix?

Thanks for the reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.