Changing dirt bike tank color

4 replies to this topic
  • 1976tt500

Posted July 10, 2010 - 11:09 PM

I know you can't paint gas tanks because they bubble within a week (Just painted my tt600 black and have already had a bubble invasion). So What other ways are there?

What about having a upholstery shop make a cover for the tank? Like some fabric/vinyl formed to match the shape of the tank that you just leave on forever?

• 1976tt500

Posted July 10, 2010 - 11:22 PM

Hmmm clark sells a new tank in the color black for $200. That's too much for me though, I'd rather spend $50...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kliedus

Posted July 10, 2010 - 11:28 PM

http://www.thumperta...ght=tank dyeing

maybe you could try this?

• busted bones

Posted July 11, 2010 - 06:11 AM

That actually works pretty well, the only thing is dont put tank graphics on it because it will tend to make it kinda funky coloring in the graphics for some reason.

• 1976tt500

Posted July 11, 2010 - 10:21 PM

Hmmm I think I will try that.
Looks like a lot of bad results in that thread though. The only "perfect" result was the original poster and he never posted any pictures then sold the bike.
Worth a shot though. I read all 30 or so pages and it sounds like people were catching on to constant heat not heat for 1 hour.
I'll get a metal container (either fab one up or get something from a store) and set it on the BBQ for a good 5 hours of constant insane heat.
First i need to pull the tank and sand all the krylon bubbled paint off and then sand it with a high grit to make it smooth... and apparently hair dryers work for fine scratches.

If this fails i will plaster it with fiberglass resin and paint that. One way or another this tank is changing colors!

Related Content

Reviews

Honda CRF150F 2014 by Chris.GVS

Honda CRF150F 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Reviews? by quadgirl2

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

Press Release: 2015 Beta RR Race Editions by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

15 SXF 250 - Must have mods vs stock by Caplar997

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • 18 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF150R 2015 by Chris.GVS

Honda CRF150R 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.