My 10 year old, brand new, YZ426F

30 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted July 14, 2010 - 06:32 AM

Scott, the 450 decomp cam makes the 426 a whole new bike. Trust me, you won't be disappointed if you do it. The only bad part is you can't pull the old "if you can start it, you can ride it" on your friends as easily :smirk:

• jayh300

Posted July 14, 2010 - 07:27 AM

Scott, the 450 decomp cam makes the 426 a whole new bike. Trust me, you won't be disappointed if you do it. The only bad part is you can't pull the old "if you can start it, you can ride it" on your friends as easily :smirk:

correct... as usual...

• Joe105

Posted July 14, 2010 - 07:47 AM

wow thats awesome, never rode one but always loved the 426's.

• gettintall

Posted July 14, 2010 - 07:41 PM

Thats a nice bike,I bought a yz400fk1 earlier this year from a dude in the military,it had 15 hours on it is what he told me,it has the original tires on it,I have played on it about 10 hours and I like how powerful it is ,but I am going to get rid of it and get more of an enduro type bike,I am having a hard time trying to figure out what kind of enduro has the biggest grin factor,I am going to look at a ktm 250 exc I hope I like it.

• swilson143

Posted July 14, 2010 - 09:07 PM

So its not so popular just for easier starts... its actually going to change the performance of the motor?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted July 15, 2010 - 06:40 AM

So its not so popular just for easier starts... its actually going to change the performance of the motor?

Yes it does change the power character some. You will have a long, smooth (but steady) pull of power. It's been a long, long time since I did the swap, but all I can remember thinking is "WOW... whole new bike!"

• gettintall

Posted July 15, 2010 - 10:16 AM

I have a question about your rear wheel,I have a yz400f and when you look at your rear wheel bearing covers is one of them brass and the other one silver in color?if so is the brass colored one on the brake side or sprocket side?Thanks,there is nothing sweeter than finding an older bike that someone has never used,its like going to the cycle shop and finding a 70% off sale, the other great thing is its bone stock which is rare,so you can mod or decorate with graphics and so forth,without haveing to follow in someone elses ideas,are you gonna put a different pipe on your bike?I would like to hear an honest answer about the difference in performance it makes I really like my stock pipe and I think it looks great.You are gonna have a lot of fun for years to come for a great price.

• DMC707

Posted July 15, 2010 - 11:38 AM

nice bike!!! why dont they make frames like that anymore? it'd be cool if they were coloured still. im thinking of getting mine powder coated :smirk:

:smirk: Thats a steel frame and has to be painted ------ anything after '06 is aluminum.

Still might be slick to add some color to your alloy frame though, I have seen some pics of a yellow YZ with a black alloy frame and it looked trick --- I personally dont want to subject my aluminum frame to the curing process though, it takes a lot of heat

• cowboyona426

Posted July 15, 2010 - 02:53 PM

:smirk: Thats a steel frame and has to be painted ------ anything after '06 is aluminum.

Still might be slick to add some color to your alloy frame though, I have seen some pics of a yellow YZ with a black alloy frame and it looked trick --- I personally dont want to subject my aluminum frame to the curing process though, it takes a lot of heat

The trouble with doing anything with the aluminum frame, just like the steel ones, is that it will wear off. I just touch mine up with steel wool when I wash it, looks almost as good as new.

• swilson143

Posted July 15, 2010 - 09:59 PM

I have a question about your rear wheel,I have a yz400f and when you look at your rear wheel bearing covers is one of them brass and the other one silver in color?if so is the brass colored one on the brake side or sprocket side?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like they're black.

• gettintall

Posted July 16, 2010 - 06:13 AM

well i thought maybee they would be like mine but obviously yamaha had changed them on your bike,I REALLY appreciate you taking good pics for me to look at,I will try to find the answer from another 1998 400 owner,you have one sweet bike bro,you are so lucky to find a 10 year old machine in remarkable condition,You have a safe and happy summer,and keep it roostin

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.