My 10 year old, brand new, YZ426F

30 replies to this topic
  • swilson143

Posted July 10, 2010 - 09:45 PM

I'm stoked, check this out. My buddy just sold me this 2000 YZ426F. It has like 10 hours on it! He spent two days breaking it in and then it sat in his garage for nearly 10 years because of various reasons. The original tires even have the little nubs on them still! Completely stock except for a complete White Bros Titanium exhaust.

After new coolant, oil, oil filter, spark plug, and what felt like 100 kick start attempts, it came to life and almost always starts on the first kick now. What a monster! Can't wait to get it dirty!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Scott

Edited by swilson143, July 11, 2010 - 05:23 PM.

• thehozz

Posted July 11, 2010 - 04:35 AM

wow, what a gem. Grats man, get that thing dirty and report back with pictures offcourse =)

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 11, 2010 - 04:40 AM

Wow, that's almost unbeleivable to score a bike like that ! I've heard of bikes in like new condition that sat for something like 3 or 4 years, but not 10 !

• Crzy Joe Devola

Posted July 11, 2010 - 06:49 AM

That's crazy!! Good looking YZ.

• milk

Posted July 11, 2010 - 07:40 PM

wow i thought mine was in good shape! nice find man! :)

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 11, 2010 - 07:47 PM

Man, I remember when Yamaha put those swingarm stickers on from the factory...I'm glad they don't anymore.

• forklord

Posted July 11, 2010 - 10:11 PM

nice bike!!! why dont they make frames like that anymore? it'd be cool if they were coloured still. im thinking of getting mine powder coated :)

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 12, 2010 - 02:46 AM

why dont they make frames like that anymore? it'd be cool if they were coloured still. im thinking of getting mine powder coated :)

colored painted frames look cool for about 2 months, then after you're boots wear the paint off, the now bare metal is constantly rusting and looks like $hit. Paint is also unwanted weight...

• cowboyona426

Posted July 12, 2010 - 07:59 AM

Yummy. Wanna trade for an 06? :) Still miss my old 00, should have never sold it.

• norcal_hoss

Posted July 12, 2010 - 08:04 AM

Score!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz454

Posted July 12, 2010 - 08:36 AM

Replace the ex cam with decompresor cam and be happy.

• ZéPovinho

Posted July 13, 2010 - 05:25 AM

Replace the ex cam with decompresor cam and be happy.

I whish my YZ450'06 had a manual decompressor... just like the good'oll '00, compress, decompress, and kick it!

on the 250 auto is OK, but on the 450 if the engine is not spot-on timing by the time it stalls it can be a pain in the but...

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2010 - 07:37 AM

I whish my YZ450'06 had a manual decompressor... just like the good'oll '00, compress, decompress, and kick it!

How would that be different? The position of the crank when you hit compression with the '06, and the position of the crank after you get gone monkeying around with the manual compression release are the same, if you do it right. All you have to do is push the engine against compression, draw back and kick. You get to skip the part where you pull the release and advance the lever an inch, is all.

• ZéPovinho

Posted July 13, 2010 - 11:57 AM

How would that be different? The position of the crank when you hit compression with the '06, and the position of the crank after you get gone monkeying around with the manual compression release are the same, if you do it right. All you have to do is push the engine against compression, draw back and kick. You get to skip the part where you pull the release and advance the lever an inch, is all.

theoreticly, that's the universal truth. but on the track, and in haste its not that acurate... but maybe that's just me...

• Ryan426

Posted July 13, 2010 - 12:23 PM

:thumbsup:you lucky sob!!!

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2010 - 01:31 PM

theoreticly, that's the universal truth. but on the track, and in haste its not that acurate... but maybe that's just me...

What do you do "in haste" with the manual setup?

The point is that if your engine is so badly tuned that it's hard to start, it will be hard to start regardless of the decomp technology in use. In fact, 426's were considerably fussier in that regard than any YZ450 I've dealt with.

• jayh300

Posted July 13, 2010 - 01:34 PM

Scott

Very nice 426.............brand new...............

Edited by jhendr3702, July 13, 2010 - 01:56 PM.

• milk

Posted July 13, 2010 - 08:32 PM

What do you do "in haste" with the manual setup?

The point is that if your engine is so badly tuned that it's hard to start, it will be hard to start regardless of the decomp technology in use. In fact, 426's were considerably fussier in that regard than any YZ450 I've dealt with.

lol i'd kinda like to know this too. i just put the 450 cam in my 426 cause i race it in harescrambles and it's a pain in the a$$ when it stalls out in the tight stuff. doing the decomp dance on a slick off camber hillside isn't very fun at all. don't get me wrong it wouldn't be much fun with auto decomp but i'm hoping it helps some. i have to recheck my valve clearance now though. it fired up today and sounds like a sewing machine :\

i say pimp that bike out and get yourself a 450 exhaust cam :smirk: it wasn't that hard to do to be honest. timing can get you second guessing yourself but if you just go with what you find on here you'll have little problem.

• DGXR

Posted July 13, 2010 - 09:33 PM

Sweet ride, hooray for you! Lucky the carb gaskets were not all dried up and the jets gunked, he must have set it up properly for storage. Did he flip the rear axle so the triangle stand goes on the left? Or did the 00 models have a rear axle inserted from the left? (I'd like my triangle on the left.) How much did you pay for it anyway?

• swilson143

Posted July 14, 2010 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for the comments. I stole it for $2200. Don't know about the kick stand... I doubt he flipped the axle around, near as I can tell he hadn't turned a wrench on it yet. When I brought it home it got its first oil change a wiped the mud off from the first 10 hours of riding it got.

I'm not in a big rush to do the cam mod. I'm not racing this bike, just playing on it. So far having to use the decomp lever isn't bugging me. I'll be more interested in adding a headlight so I can still have fun in winter when it gets dark early. In the reading I've done on this site so far, seems like changing to a WR stator and flywheel is the easiest (cheapest) way to power a headlight. Is there a good how-to thread for this mod? I found a lot of people talking about the mod, and some kind of wiring change I'll have to make, but no where did I find any instructions or photos of it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.