Greasing the Steering Head 09 WR450f

12 replies to this topic

Posted July 10, 2010 - 04:44 PM

Maybe I'm lame but I find no info in TT on greasing the head tube bearings other than saying it needs to be done even on new bikes, and watch out for needles all over the shop floor.

Did I miss a tutorial or post on this? The manual is a bit sketchy at best.

I'm getting ready to install a Scott's on my new 09WR450F, so I thought I might dive deeper & grease the front end at the same time.

Anyone out there that can give me a few clues on this procedure....?

Sorry if I missed the thread.

• kawi380

Posted July 11, 2010 - 06:49 AM

Pull everything apart, apply grease, put back together. Not much there.

• Col Psoas

Posted July 11, 2010 - 10:07 AM

I've also heard there's a complete write-up on here somewhere... can't find it

if someone would be so kind to post a link I think it would help some folks out :)

Posted July 11, 2010 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the replies.

it's the "pull everything apart" part that I'm trying to get some detail and procedure on.

The manual is marginally unhelpful as usual.

The manual does show a special tool for the steering nut --steering nut wrench--

how do you deal with this nut?

What about the needles?

I assume you pull the fork tubes out of the TC....?

Posted July 13, 2010 - 05:23 PM

Surely one of you guys can give us a quickie 10 step tutorial.......

• Chas_M

Posted July 13, 2010 - 05:51 PM

The needles are captive and will not fall out. This is a 'nothing to it' job.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450FGreg

Posted July 13, 2010 - 07:39 PM

Yes, pull the forks out of the triple clamps to make the job much easier.

You won't need the steering stem spanner if you have a decent set of standard workshop tools.
Just use a hammer and punch (or "drift") on the nut, you are only really tapping it to make it move so you aren't going to be whacking the crap out of it and damaging it with the punch.
Buy a "C spanner" from your local engineering supplier if you are worried.

Honestly, just pull it apart, grease it, put it back together the same way it came apart. There really is nothing to it.

The hardest part is probably getting the right torque on the steering stem nut.
All I ever do is tighten it to what I think it should be then turn the sterring from lock to lock. If I feel any binding there I back it off a little.
If I feel play when i try to push and pull on it (forward/backward) then I tighten it up a bit more.

I always keep it slightly loose rather than tight because.....

....when you put the top triple clamp retaining nut on it will put a little additional pressure on the steering stem nut. You need to compensate for that with the slight looseness of the steering stem nut to begin with.

You'll be fine. Go for it.

Posted July 13, 2010 - 10:19 PM

Dats what I'm tawkin 'bout!

Many Thanks Greg!

Now I'm armed and readi to go!

and I appreciate the encouragement!!

• spick

Posted July 14, 2010 - 05:29 AM

Yeah, I did mine last year and it was a piece of cake. I also took the tube out of the triple clamp and it makes the process much easier.

With a new bike the lower bearing should be fine. Just clean it up and pack that sucker with some quality waterproof grease and then you won't have to worry about it.

Posted July 15, 2010 - 07:47 AM

When you take the fork tubes out of the TC, I assume they come out individually NOT as unit with wheel on....

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 15, 2010 - 02:51 PM

Yeah, do 'em individually, definately.

Its mission impossible trying to line both up, with the wheel attached when you're putting it all back together!

• ohioryder

Posted July 16, 2010 - 08:37 AM

with my new 08 wr450 the bottom bearing needed replaced after 3 months. I never greased the bearings when new and water must have gotten in there and sat causing the bottom bearing to rust. Lesson learned...just get out your manuel and regrease EVERY bearing on the bike.

Posted July 16, 2010 - 09:29 AM

I clearly get the need to check all grease areas even if bike is new! Not sure what Yam thinking is here with poor factory lubing..... Of course water contamination is mostly a user issue. But grease keeps a lot of the water away, right!

The manual thus far seems real sketch. Better than most bike manuals to be sure but I get much better help here on TT.

Thanks again for all replies! Most helpful!!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.