2010 yz450f aftermarket exhaust

42 replies to this topic
  • Scrubba

Posted July 16, 2010 - 01:54 AM

firstly for me, it would have to weigh less than stock. id work with a little less power
than the best pipe, if it cut down 2 lbs.

which is the lightest one? does anyone have the weights of them?

• Scrubba

Posted July 16, 2010 - 01:57 AM

According to MRD Racing, the problem with the stock pipe is that the muffler utilizes a sudden and significant reduction in diameter at the tip to reduce sound. He says this causes the drop in top end, and that there is no problem with the OEM header.

To that end, he builds a slip-on for the 2010 which compares favorably with a full system at far less expense. Something to look into.

i hear you man, althogh it would be high fashion to have the designer pipe, id rather spend less and have good performance. man, ive spent big bucks in the past, only to sell the bike when the next year model comes out. lucky buyer.

• 450motard

Posted July 16, 2010 - 09:43 AM

i hear you man, althogh it would be high fashion to have the designer pipe, id rather spend less and have good performance. man, ive spent big bucks in the past, only to sell the bike when the next year model comes out. lucky buyer.

I'm with you - I called MRD and ordered a pipe early this week. Customer service was great - I informed him of my trip to Taylor Park on July 24th and he said he'd have the pipe to me in time to get it installed before the trip. The website said 1-2 weeks from order to delivery, so I'm pleased that he expedited it for me.

• Anssi

Posted July 22, 2010 - 09:49 AM

My dad has a 2010 YZ450F (I still have an '08) and he would like to free up the top end but also tame the hit from low revs. We have tried the mapping changes and they help but there is still more hit than we like (I have the accelerator pump on my bike adjusted to have as little hit as possible).

The question is, will the slip-ons also mellow out the hit like MXA says the full systems do?

• gfmoto

Posted July 22, 2010 - 08:02 PM

[quote name='450motard']I'm with you - I called MRD and ordered a pipe early this week. Customer service was great - I informed him of my trip to Taylor Park on July 24th and he said he'd have the pipe to me in time to get it installed before the trip. The website said 1-2 weeks from order to delivery, so I'm pleased that he expedited it for me.[/Q
so what do you think of the pipe? did you get it in a timely fashion? I'm ready to buy one so let me know what you think.

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 22, 2010 - 08:17 PM

I actually like the initial hit of the stock curve, but the only problem I do have with the stock exhaust system is; 1. The weight, and 2. Sign off on the top. That said, I had an 06 with exhaust and the biggest advantage I felt from it was the reduction in weight and how much it affected the handling of an already ill handling bike...

So, I pose this question Yamaha, since we are already charging 8k for a bike, why put all of this R&D into the machine to "harness the gyroscopic effects of the engines rotation to allow the bike to handle better" only to slap a 12 pound exhaust system on it and make the bike handle like crap?

I will base my purchase on weight alone, because it seems everyone has the top end problem solved.

• 450motard

Posted July 22, 2010 - 08:43 PM

so what do you think of the pipe? did you get it in a timely fashion? I'm ready to buy one so let me know what you think.

I received the pipe 6 days after I ordered it, so yeah, I'd say it was timely. I did make a request for a speedy delivery and Dave was king enough to oblige, considering my circumstances (needing a spark arrestor for a rapidly approaching trip). Dave returned every email or voicemail within hours, sometimes within 15 minutes. Superb customer service. The fit of the pipe was excellent. No soft joint to deal with at the header and both mounting points were spot on. I couldn't be more impressed so far.

I haven't ridden the bike with the pipe yet, so I can't speak on the performance. I'm headed to Taylor Park Saturday morning to let 'er rip.

• moto278

Posted July 26, 2010 - 04:52 PM

Posted Image

I am running the Pro Circuit T4-R. The power is broard and strong and increased over rev. Great exhaust note, not offensive loud. This pipe is awesome. Running stock ECU settings.

wat did you pay for your system? i was lookin at the ti4-r nd seeing about 849.99 is about as cheap as i can get

• steve_97060

Posted August 06, 2010 - 08:01 PM

those are resonator chambers ( its a 50 year old exhaust component design ) and the testing I have done on them makes me think they are nothing more than eye candy , pipes with them dont make any more power and arent any quieter at full throttle than pipes with out them

maybe on a cirtain bike , but from what I have seen on the dyno it didnt happen on the bikes I tested , and they are allways in the spot where they fit and that just cant allways be the most effective spot timing wise to effect power , I like you Gray , your straight up and no BS and a asset to this forum , I just havent seen any proof that these resonators are anything more than eye candy

Interesting information, the DRD pipe I just received yesterday does not have a resonator chamber.

• moto278

Posted August 08, 2010 - 06:45 PM

i have had my pc ti4r system for 2 weeks now. gota say dang! ive been using 3rd gear for my starts all year (concrete pad) and have been able to use throttle control to keep the front end down (been pullin holeshots all year too) but now with this pipe, and i went to a 49t rear sprocket, i have to work even harder to keep the front end down. thinking about investing in a holeshot device. also the system helped out with the over rev a bit ive noticed. pia to put it on tho, it was already assembled and looked like it was welded as one system. no pieces. looks ba as well. and sounds mayb a tad bit quieter on the track, but im no expert. and comparing the stock system to the pc system, it seems a bit lighter, but i dont have a scale to compare and cant find it online.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve_97060

Posted August 08, 2010 - 07:15 PM

The DRD pipe installed really easy, and it seems quieter than stock. It pretty much eliminated the over sensitive throttle response and spread the power out. Although I really didn't want to purchase a new pipe for the bike, getting rid of the barky throttle response in itself made it a worthwhile purchase. Overall I am really pleased with the DRD pipe.

• tech24

Posted August 09, 2010 - 01:23 PM

any reports on the MRD slip-on? I'm very interested!

• Bkew

Posted August 09, 2010 - 02:14 PM

A friend of mine has a Yosh full system in SS on his 10' 450. It runs great and sounds great. He liked the build quality of the Yosh on my 09' RMZ450.

I did a really good job of spreading the power, seat of the pants it seems a lot better then stock and it has that nice race sound. Comes with the SA too.

• gfmoto

Posted August 09, 2010 - 08:33 PM

just put on a mrd slip=on, rode with it a the races this weekend on a very sandy track, so power wise it was a little hard to judge, It did feel like it revs much faster and pulls harder on top. the bike was wanting to wheelie in a lot of places even on a sandy track. Build quality is the best I've owned, I've had dr.d, fmf, pro-circuit, white bros, (but not akorpovic) The pipe is a little louder than stock :banana: but I'd say 1-2lbs lighter (based on my calibrated right and left hands!) I've yet to try it with the quiet core but I think that will be the way I run it even though I only ride tracks in the summer. Can't beat the price and it works much better then the fmf or dr.d pipes I've tried on the 2010.

• Troutman

Posted August 11, 2010 - 06:43 PM

A friend of mine has a Yosh full system in SS on his 10' 450. It runs great and sounds great. He liked the build quality of the Yosh on my 09' RMZ450.

I did a really good job of spreading the power, seat of the pants it seems a lot better then stock and it has that nice race sound. Comes with the SA too.

Based on MX actions pipe tests I just purchased the full Yosh Stainless system off of e-bay for $475. The pipe made a big difference on freeing up top end rev's and just has more meat everywhere. I am typically not a pipe guy but this one has been worth the money. The build quality is great and the stainless system comes with a carbon fiber end cap and is much shorter than stock. It does come with a spark arrestor so you will have to buy the open insert for $29 if you want the full potential of the pipe on the track.

• tech24

Posted August 12, 2010 - 04:00 AM

just put on a mrd slip=on, rode with it a the races this weekend on a very sandy track, so power wise it was a little hard to judge, It did feel like it revs much faster and pulls harder on top. the bike was wanting to wheelie in a lot of places even on a sandy track. Build quality is the best I've owned, I've had dr.d, fmf, pro-circuit, white bros, (but not akorpovic) The pipe is a little louder than stock :banana: but I'd say 1-2lbs lighter (based on my calibrated right and left hands!) I've yet to try it with the quiet core but I think that will be the way I run it even though I only ride tracks in the summer. Can't beat the price and it works much better then the fmf or dr.d pipes I've tried on the 2010.

Thanks for the update, think i'll be getting one of these!

• EgoTripp

Posted August 13, 2010 - 08:21 AM

with the SS Yoshimura will the performance be affected if you were to remove the insert completly?

• gfmoto

Posted August 13, 2010 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for the update, think i'll be getting one of these!

Hey Dave hear that I think I need to add mrd. sponsorship to my resume!!:banana: Actually I like to encourage everyone to purchase quality products from people with excellent customer service just like MRD!

• MRD RACING

Posted August 13, 2010 - 10:34 PM

Hey Dave hear that I think I need to add mrd. sponsorship to my resume!!:eek: Actually I like to encourage everyone to purchase quality products from people with excellent customer service just like MRD!

lol.......... thanks for the support , I will remember it when Im rich and famous :banana:

• Davey762

Posted August 14, 2010 - 10:09 AM

I have the yoshimura rs4 full system on my bike and really like it. Noticeably more power everywhere. Great sound and looks too.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.