Flywheel weight

10 replies to this topic
  • daverehm

Posted January 24, 2001 - 02:33 AM

I ordered a 10 oz flywheel weight for my 2000 yz426. Is it difficult to put on myself? What kind of special tools do I need? I'm thinking that taking it to my local Yamaha dealer is my best bet. I ordered a Manual but haven't received it yet. So I am completely in the dark about this machine. I appreciate this forum. There is some great info here. Thanks guys.

------------------
God Bless

[This message has been edited by daverehm (edited 01-24-2001).]

• scottzx7rr

Posted January 24, 2001 - 04:44 AM

Which one did you order?? Mine is a 10.5oz and it was a bolt on. All you do is remove the ignition cover and bolt holding the flywheel on. Install the flywheel weight, bolt back on and torque it propery. Then put a spacer on that goes between the cover and the case(thick hard plastic) and the two gaskets that comes in the kit. About 20 minutes to install it.

------------------
Scott #431
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• dirtdad

Posted January 24, 2001 - 05:19 AM

daverehm, You say you ordered a manual!? Did you buy the bike new or used? Either way it should have been included with the bike! If you bought it used, that guy should have passed it on to you.

• kmcbride

Posted January 24, 2001 - 05:20 AM

Where did you buy your 10.5 oz. weight? I have seen bolt ons, but the kit comes with a drill and tap set. My concern with this is the chance of run-out if weight is not mounted on center causing balance problems.
I was considering sending my flywheel to A-Loop, but would rather have a bolt-on so I would have the option to take it off or change the size. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Keith.
'99 YZ400

• daverehm

Posted January 24, 2001 - 05:45 AM

I ordered it from stroker.com. I'm not sure if it is a bolt on or not. I e-mailed them and asked them. The web site doesn't give the description. It sounds easy to install, as long as it is the bolt on style. Is this correct? I want to do a lot of trail riding, so I bought the weight and a 51 tooth real sprocket. I put on a spark arrestor. If I want to ride some enduros, do I need lights? Thanks again for the imput.
I bought my bike used. The guy I bought it from didn't have a manual or stand. I ordered a manual from my local shop, but they said Yamaha prints them as they are ordered, so it takes a couple weeks.

[This message has been edited by daverehm (edited 01-24-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kmcbride

Posted January 24, 2001 - 08:03 AM

Dave,
Most enduros require that you have lights and a licence plate. Whether they work or not is a different story. I have a '99 YZ400 with aftermarket headlight / tail-light/tag bracket none of which works. I didn't want to shell out the bucks for a lighting coil, plus the enduros I ride in do not care. Some enduros have road crossing etc. that are sometimes monitored by local police. This could present a problem, but usually does not. As far as the tag goes, talk to any of your local riders and you will get the scoop. Have fun, it is a great enduro bike.

Scott,
What type of flywheel weight did you buy?
Sound easier to mount than most.

• scottzx7rr

Posted January 24, 2001 - 08:43 AM

I will find out. When I bought the bike I got it. It was out of the box. I didn't really look at it too hard. I am going to be talking with the guy I bought it from and will let you know.

I think that it was a Stealthy. If I remember correctly talking to him it was the biggest that didn't require the flywheel to be machined. But I can't be for sure. I will post it when I know.

------------------
Scott #431
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• daverehm

Posted January 24, 2001 - 09:06 AM

stroker said it is a bolt on weight. Do I need any special tools? Can someone tell me how much oil the 2000 426 takes?

------------------
God Bless

• oldxmxer

Posted January 24, 2001 - 09:07 AM

I got mine from Terry cable and it is a 12 oz. Required drilling and tapping 4 holes and bolting it onto flywheel. Thinking about trying a 14 oz. or just taking the 12 back off and returning to stock.I really don't think its worth it.

• Boit

Posted January 24, 2001 - 11:54 PM

Draining the oil from the crankcase, frame tank, and either changing or cleaning the filter....it takes right at 1500cc(1and 1/2 quarts) to refill. Once you get to that last half quart, fill very slowly or it will overflow easily. The air just doesn't get out fast enough once you get about a quart in there. I hate making a mess!

• 4banger

Posted January 25, 2001 - 12:08 AM

For mx, the weight is rider preference. For the woods, it is a very helpful item to avoid stalling , maintain power up large hills and to prevent stalls from hitting logs or other obsticles. I have a 10 oz stealy that was the drill and tap method. I love it and wish I got the 14 oz weld on. The more weight the better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.