Ready to get plated, what to do about brake light, lowbeam headlight?

6 replies to this topic
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted June 12, 2003 - 08:21 AM

In Indiana, all I need is a license plate, low-beam head light, and a brake light. Looking to save some dough. What would be the best way to do it? Would like to use as much original hardware as possible. Any bright ideas? (Get it, brake light, headlight...."bright ideas" Ok, so I'm losing it :))

• endurodog

Posted June 12, 2003 - 09:41 AM

For the brake light you need to buy the sensor that goes on top of your brake master cylinder, I think its under $20, it actually replaces the bolt that holds the brake light on to the master cylinder. There is all ready a lead coming out of your tail light, its the lose one you see by your air box and the light is all ready a double filament bulb. Then just wire to a hot wire and your set.

As far as headlights go, I'm not sure what the regs are in your state.

• ddialogue

Posted June 12, 2003 - 09:53 AM

In Indiana, all I need is a license plate, low-beam head light, and a brake light. Looking to save some dough. What would be the best way to do it? Would like to use as much original hardware as possible. Any bright ideas? (Get it, brake light, headlight...."bright ideas" Ok, so I'm losing it :))

Order up the brake light switch from Baja Designs and wire it into the yellow tail light wire. That's the easy one. I wired up the hi/low beam on my wr450 using a mini-switch from www.peakmoto.com (mini-switch). It has a kill button built-into it but I used that for the horn function instead.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pooley

Posted June 12, 2003 - 02:49 PM

What I wound up doing last year was to leave the original on/off switch in place as a master switch. The output of this I attached to the center of the single pole/double throw switch. The remaining 2 terminals I wired to the individual beams. Only one filament is on at a time and I can even run with the headlight off and still have my tail/brake light with the SP/DT in the center position.

• jchantzWR400F

Posted June 13, 2003 - 04:50 AM

What I wound up doing last year was to leave the original on/off switch in place as a master switch. The output of this I attached to the center of the single pole/double throw switch. The remaining 2 terminals I wired to the individual beams. Only one filament is on at a time and I can even run with the headlight off and still have my tail/brake light with the SP/DT in the center position.

So what you're telling me is that the stock headlight is capable of high and low beam settings. I'm somewhat familar with wiring and things of that nature. But, please explain the single pole/double throw switch thingy... what should i disconnect from the on/off switch and which wires should i run where for the headlight.

Thanks to everyone for the input so far.... :)

• Pooley

Posted June 13, 2003 - 04:45 PM

I just found this from a while ago. Wrooster had some good pics and direcitons. Hope this helps.

http://207.44.228.67...true#Post122158

• jchantzWR400F

Posted June 15, 2003 - 04:17 PM

I just found this from a while ago. Wrooster had some good pics and direcitons. Hope this helps.

http://207.44.228.67...true#Post122158

You are the man Pooley. Thanks for passing on the info. This should make the change headache free. That takes care of the headlight and the taillight. I'll officially be pissing off my neighbors on the legal end of things from now on. No more hotlaps in my back yard...I can take her around the block now. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.