WR450 good bike?

24 replies to this topic
  • 2001cr125

Posted July 06, 2010 - 06:37 PM

Hi, i am thinking of getting a new bike. My current bike is a cr125 but I want something thats more trail friendly, Is the WR450 a high maintance bike? How often does it need a top end? Or how often should the valves be checked. How good is the gas milage. Any general information I should know.:)

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 06, 2010 - 07:47 PM

The WR450f is an excellent bike once the engine is completely uncorked and the chassis is set up for your weight and riding style.

It is trail friendly in stock form, but you can dial it in to be as exciting as you want.

If you race, you'll be going through pistons and rings with regularity. If you're trail riding, it is not unreasonable to expect 300+ hours out of a top end provided you change the oil every 150-200 miles, clean and oil the air filter every ride, check your valve clearances sporadically, run good gas, and dial your jetting in perfectly.

You should check the valves when new, after about 500 miles and then again at 1000 miles, then every 1000 miles after that.

The gas mileage is OK, but it isn't great. They aren't as thirsty as say a 250 smoker, but they aren't gas misers either. Depending on terrain, jetting, and throttle usage, expect anywhere from 30-60 miles out of the stock 2.1 gallon tank.

Grease the chassis and axles as soon as you get it. This is not something you want to neglect.

• Butta

Posted July 06, 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hi, i am thinking of getting a new bike. My current bike is a cr125 but I want something thats more trail friendly, Is the WR450 a high maintance bike? How often does it need a top end? Or how often should the valves be checked. How good is the gas milage. Any general information I should know.:)

The biggest differences you'll notice coming off a CR125 is the incredible power and the heavy weight (in comparison)....but, EVERY bike you encounter off an mx 125 is going to feel heavier. The WR450 is a great bike, and purpose built for the trails. Plush suspension, smooth power delivery (but lots of it once "opened up"), and provenly reliable. Top ends are measured in hundreds of hours (vice 20-40 on the 125) and the valves should probably be checked every 50, just to be sure. Keep the oil changed, the air fliter clean, and run good gas and you'll have a great bike for years of enjoyment.....

Oh, and for fuel mileage, I get in the neighborhood of 50 mpg on mine.....and I don't ride gently either.....

• Baja trail Rider

Posted July 06, 2010 - 09:22 PM

I have over 20 dirt bikes all kinds ,so far the wr450 has been the best water cooled bike we have.Its a pain in the a%&** to work on,but so far only oil changes,four years no valve adj in spec.Great bike.Only 30-35 miles to gal not good.Our xrs 440 over 50 mpg

• Col Psoas

Posted July 06, 2010 - 11:22 PM

i've actually yet to hear of anyone actually Needing to adjust valves on the new ones, check them yes, adjust :no... I'm sure people have but the reliability these bikes have is absolutely amazing.

Get ready to go through some oil and they definately aren't kind to it but then again its not exactly expensive to replace a quart every other ride.
I think 30 miles on the stock tank seems like an absolutly extreme low end that you'd actually be hard to get down to unless you find more technical trails than I have which is a scary thought :) ... I do know that mine on the road actually gets great mileage fwiw

the biggest difference from you bike is going to be the INSANE increase in power. These bikes don't mess around and you will quickly see that they make a VERY good all around machine, good on the trails, good in the desert though I will warn you that if you get riding beyond you abilities it may bite, Don't get me wrong though, its all very managable and I find the handling to be excellent and never do I feel mine is overweight

I really don't think you could find a better bike for the great outdoors thats as versitile as the big wr or its little brother

• YamaLink

Posted July 07, 2010 - 11:17 AM

Adding to the good input already given, I think you'll find the engine braking and the bike's mass as the largest aspects to become accustomed to. That 125 feels like a mountain bike compared to the great WR.

• 2001cr125

Posted July 08, 2010 - 08:53 AM

If I plan on buying a used one is there any years I should stay away from?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 08, 2010 - 09:14 AM

With a perfectly easy starting bike (first kick when cold) I feel I totally wasted my time checking my valves at 60 hours. It's not difficult, but not totally mindless either. Shim adjusted valves don't fall out of adjustment as easily as screw adjusted valves. And Yamaha shimmed valves are just on another level beyond that.

Mileage is good. Put an IMS, Clarke, or Acerbis tank on it and you will be looking at a min of 90 miles. The bike is very stable in the desert (I don't use a stabilizer) and still very maneuverable in the tight stuff.

One thing no one ever mentions is that there is just one engine oil. No separate chambers for tranny and engine oils. You will not hear WR riders posting questions on the web about how come my tranny oil keeps getting low, but the engine oil keeps rising or vice versa. It's worked well (one chamber) for decades, why would it be any different for the WR?

There are very few things wrong with this bike. Uncork, and set up the suspension for your weight and riding and live happily ever after.

• JM450

Posted July 09, 2010 - 04:06 PM

I love my 08. I"ve done the suspension, the free mods and that's it. It can be lugged around for casual trail riding or ridden fast and hard. It starts easy and is very stable. Once you have it dialed in I think you can just ride it. It isn't going to turn as well in the twisties as your 2 smoke 125 but few 4 strokes will. I get about 40 + miles before reserve so I'm going to get a bigger tank eventually. I think if I could dual sport it that it would be the perfect bike for dirt roads as well as trails. I test rode a 07 drz 400 last night that had 1400 miles on it and even though it was clean all I could think was that, compared to my WR it was a pile. But it has blinkers and a plate.:)

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 09, 2010 - 07:50 PM

If I plan on buying a used one is there any years I should stay away from?

Some early 2007 models came with a defective filter cage that passed dirt. Its not that big of a deal if it was caught reasonably quick. If you go look at an '07 check the cage for a hole in the middle. If there is no hole and the owner can verify that it is the original you are good to go.

The '03 models had a weak woodruff key that would shear leaving you stranded. If the owner can verify that its been updated with the better part, you're good :) If he doesn't know? Run like hell :banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Col Psoas

Posted July 10, 2010 - 02:53 PM

Honestly I think that if you were to buy one it would probably be a good idea to get an 07, the haven't done anything since then so you may be able to find a slightly older one for cheaper and essentially have the same bike. I say this because I think that they did enough major changes in 07 to justify a little extra money vs the 05-06 bikes

JMHO

• Butta

Posted July 14, 2010 - 08:16 PM

Honestly I think that if you were to buy one it would probably be a good idea to get an 07, the haven't done anything since then so you may be able to find a slightly older one for cheaper and essentially have the same bike. I say this because I think that they did enough major changes in 07 to justify a little extra money vs the 05-06 bikes

JMHO

However, the steel framed bikes are a lot easier to get at the carb for any tuning/jetting......and they handle really well, so don't be afraid to get an '05 or '06 either.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 14, 2010 - 08:59 PM

However, the steel framed bikes are a lot easier to get at the carb for any tuning/jetting......and they handle really well, so don't be afraid to get an '05 or '06 either.

Ditto! My 05 is great. Get an aluminum frame if you can, but don't sleep on the steel framed ones. They get the job done!

A couple of months ago, I adjusted two of the 5 valves for the first time in 5 years, tons of rides and what I estimate to be at least 7K pretty hard miles. One was out one shim size. The other was out two shim sizes.

Keep up on the basic maintenance and you'll be fine with the bike.

• glamisrnr

Posted July 15, 2010 - 09:28 AM

I am looking at this bike http://www.promotors...5 Yamaha WR450F the dealer told me they would do a straight trade on my 06 trx450r atv, anything I should know about these bikes, I am a automotive technician by trade so I know how to work on motors and dont mind tinkering to get that last horse power out of it.

• Bushdog

Posted October 14, 2010 - 06:55 PM

the WR450 is the best bike ever! and i have owned Honda's, Yamaha's, Kawasaki's and riden plenty more. here is why the WR is the best in its class
- amazing valves (unlike honda CRFX who have valves made from a composite of glue and paper mache)
- 12000km rebuild (unlike KTM EXC and some others that are every 2000km!, I know ppl who have DRz400's and are only getting 5000km before a rebuild and these are supposed to be the most relaible bike ever to leave the shores of Japan!)
- engine and gear oil together (unlike honda)
- Nothing EVER goes wrong with it (unlike Kawasaki KLX that has starting problems along with other stuff)
- goes like the clappers!
- oil change every 1000km (unlike Suzuki RMZ that is every ride!)

sure the WR might be heavier than your 125, but its going to be about 3 times the power! and usable power too. its only 112 dry weight anyway - its no xr600!
i have an 08 and it is a monster, that is what id get (from 2007 onwards), they look better and have the new engine.

• RedHawk028

Posted October 26, 2010 - 12:23 PM

I am going to be purchasing a WR250 and a WR450 soon... Im thinking about getting the 2011's. What all do you have to do to uncork these monsters? What do I need to look out for? I am a 2stroke person and never really owned bikes like these...

• YamaLink

Posted October 26, 2010 - 02:55 PM

Atop the WR250F and WR450F forum page are locked/stickies with all the great tips and how-to's on getting the most out of each bike's potential from stock. Good luck and have fun!

I am going to be purchasing a WR250 and a WR450 soon... Im thinking about getting the 2011's. What all do you have to do to uncork these monsters? What do I need to look out for? I am a 2stroke person and never really owned bikes like these...

• Bushdog

Posted October 27, 2010 - 02:05 PM

why do you need both (unless you are racing them) - just get the 450! coz apart from the massive power difference there is NO difference. people complain that the wr is heavier, they forget that it is only 5kg and maybe they are complaining about nothing.

• RedHawk028

Posted October 27, 2010 - 03:14 PM

Atop the WR250F and WR450F forum page are locked/stickies with all the great tips and how-to's on getting the most out of each bike's potential from stock. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :smirk:

Bushdog Quote:
why do you need both (unless you are racing them) - just get the 450! coz apart from the massive power difference there is NO difference. people complain that the wr is heavier, they forget that it is only 5kg and maybe they are complaining about nothing.

The WR250 is for my other half... I want the 450 for myself...:excuseme: and yes I do race :lol: I am a yamaha freak... Im just unfamiliar with the WR's and I like to be highly educated in what I will own before I own it. That's why im on this forum cuz you guys know everything I want to know and then some... I am use to YZ two strokes, but not for long.
A friend of mine is trying to talk me into a XR 650L but that is a heavy bike plus I don't really like the suspension on those...

• Bushdog

Posted October 27, 2010 - 10:34 PM

hope your other half is a good rider, the 250 is still a giant killer! good on you

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.