Colorado riders! (Taylor Park area)

17 replies to this topic
  • Keetoman426

Posted June 11, 2003 - 03:09 PM

Ok all you veterans, I need some advice. I will be going to Taylor Park in late August and want to know what you guys pack as far as tools, parts and other goodies. We are planning on riding close to 100 miles/day and I don't want to get stuck out there in the middle of nowhere! Here is what I have already: Front Fendor pack that will hold a front inner tube and tire irons. A Backpack/water hydration system with raincoat, extra clutch perch and lever, extra brake lever and a few commonly used tools. I will also have a fanny pack with more tools with a Co2 inflater. Thanks ahead of time!

By the way, my YZ426 has a 10 oz flywheel, 13/51 gearing, radiator guards, Clarke 3.3 tank and Moose Barkbusters.

Keith :)

• endurodog

Posted June 11, 2003 - 05:44 PM

Keith a few things I carry, a rain coat you have listed is a must up there. Compass, maps, gps. I like a little of the steel repair puddy too with all the rocks up there. Maybe a few power bars. I also carry an emergency blanket, one of those small foil looking ones and some matches, just in case. I know it sounds silly but I always keep money in my fanny pack too, just incase you don't carry a wallet or forget it.

• HighPlainsWR

Posted June 11, 2003 - 06:17 PM

Ditto Endurodog. Prepare to dress for cool weather until noon, then it gets hot until sundown - then it gets downright cold. A combo jacket/vest setup is good, especially one that you can unzip the arms. One thing I always carry on the fanny is one can of bear repellant. If it aint the bears or cougars, it's the darn tree huuggers. Can't keep them from yakin' about saving the Earth. Remember, Earth first - then we'll ride the rest of the galaxy.

• endurodog

Posted June 11, 2003 - 06:48 PM

I like it, bear repelent for tree huggers!!!

• Keetoman426

Posted June 12, 2003 - 01:10 AM

I gotta tell my buddies about the Greenie spray. Too funny! Thanks for the ideas. I especially like the one about the emergency blanket.

I have an enduro jacket that is rain proof and will wear layers to keep warm in the mornings. I just had a look at my catologue last night and saw a lot of useful tools but space is limited. I have a wrench I am going to cut and weld together that works on both the front and rear axle. What else guys?

• endozen

Posted June 12, 2003 - 03:02 AM

How 'bout a cell phone in case of emergency? The reception may be spotty, but Merf's law says if you have one, you won't need it.

• Merfman

Posted June 12, 2003 - 04:17 AM

How 'bout a cell phone in case of emergency? The reception may be spotty, but Merf's law says if you have one, you won't need it.

LOL.. nice spin Endo... :)

What else?
In addition to what Endozen and 'Dawg suggested, here's what's
in my pack when I'm spending many miles in the mountains:

Two part epoxy.

JB Weld and a piece of cardboard on which to mix it.

Two tow straps. Just buy about 30' of webbing and cut it
into two sections, roll it up, and pin it. If you're
close to a fabric store, they sell 1/2" to 3" webbing at
prices MUCH cheaper than a "buddy tow"

I also carry business cards in case I need to "ask a favor"

Insurance card.

GPS and cell phone: "Hello, 911? I'm at 38.111N and 140.32W. I'm
broken. Come get me?"

Camera

Have a great time!

Merf

• TooFast

Posted June 12, 2003 - 11:16 AM

It's not likely you'll get 100 miles in on a day unless it's on roads....Taylor Park single track is very technical, some trails you'll be lucky to get 35 miles riding all day.

• Keetoman426

Posted June 12, 2003 - 01:18 PM

Thanks guys... keepem coming!

35 miles of technical riding would be great! My buddies went last year and I have seen the pics and heard the stories and am really looking forward to this.

Another question. I have been kicking around the idea of the GPS but don't know much about them. I need one that is simple to use and fairley cheap. Thanks again!

Keith

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HighPlainsWR

Posted June 12, 2003 - 06:21 PM

Yo Keetoman. If you plan on riding anywhere near Boulder, CO, you need to read this website first:

http://www.off-road....nviro/efdm.html

I have seen several of these traps on the Front Range (Rampart, Woodland and Texas Creek). Riding Taylor should not be an issue. Just remember, the bikers natural enemy is everywhere. Watch out for compact imports, especially ones with rust. Bear spray ? No, guys who do that deserve to ride a worn out TT500 for eternity...

• Merfman

Posted June 13, 2003 - 02:47 AM

> Another question. I have been kicking around the idea of the GPS but don't know much about them

endurodog and I both have Garmin GPS III+ It's a nice unit,
easy to use, reliable, and has the ability to download maps
into it from Mapsource. Nice unit.

Merf

• endozen

Posted June 13, 2003 - 06:24 AM

I've got the Garmin Etrex, works fine but cannot download maps, but it was a gift so I ain't complainin.

While I haven't come across any trail sabotage lately, I did find some barbed wire neck level across a trail north of Divide years ago. Wouldn't it be great to come across someone doing this stuff? With all the protective riding gear, you could pretty much pummel him at will, and his limp-wristed slaps would bounce harmlessly off your chest protector.

• Machster

Posted June 13, 2003 - 06:48 AM

Yo Keetoman. If you plan on riding anywhere near Boulder, CO, you need to read this website first:

http://www.off-road....nviro/efdm.html

I have seen several of these traps on the Front Range (Rampart, Woodland and Texas Creek). Riding Taylor should not be an issue. Just remember, the bikers natural enemy is everywhere. Watch out for compact imports, especially ones with rust. Bear spray ? No, guys who do that deserve to ride a worn out TT500 for eternity...

Holy crap!! I just looked at that manual, and I must say it is time to mount the machine gun turrents on the ol 450!. :)

• mikeolichney

Posted June 13, 2003 - 10:18 AM

No need for twin 50s, just make sure you bring a faster friend to ride first as cannon fodder.

• racemile

Posted June 13, 2003 - 10:27 AM

uhhhhh.....Mike.....wanna go ridin'? :D :) :D :D

Race

• Keetoman426

Posted June 13, 2003 - 02:16 PM

No need for twin 50s, just make sure you bring a faster friend to ride first as cannon fodder.

That's why I always like to ride sweep :) Plus, they get to eat all the cob webs.

Thanks for the GPS tips! I will check into it tomorrow. Does it mount on the bars or do you just stuff it into your pack? I would like to have the downloadable maps because I woukd like to make a trip map. Pretty cool stuff!

• mikeolichney

Posted June 13, 2003 - 02:19 PM

Sure! But I am bringing Terrance.

• Keetoman426

Posted June 18, 2003 - 04:09 PM

You guys talked me into buying a GPS. Just got it today... the Garmin V and I am so excited to use it I may try it out on my drive to work in the morning! I got the model V because it has more memory for stored trips and routes, plus it has warning beeps if you miss a turn :) One question though. How did you guys mount your GPS to your bike?

I also just got my Flat Land Racing radiator guards and man, they look awesome! Just think... another couple grand and I will be ready for this trip. :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.