2001 YZ426F Hanging idle

19 replies to this topic
  • Dirtysnow

Posted July 04, 2010 - 05:16 PM

I'm searching for an air leak and I think I found one near the air boot from the filter to the carb. But I also noticed the exhaust gasket from the header to the midpipe is almost completely worn out. I can slip the midpipe off with the clamp tight. Would this also cause the idle to hang? Thanks in advance!

• xr88honda

Posted July 04, 2010 - 05:18 PM

pull the slide out an check the vacuum plate the old fcrs were bad about cracking,they hang idle,then chip off an destroy the top end

• grayracer513

Posted July 04, 2010 - 05:30 PM

But I also noticed the exhaust gasket from the header to the midpipe is almost completely worn out. I can slip the midpipe off with the clamp tight. Would this also cause the idle to hang? Thanks in advance!

No. It might cause decel backfiring, though.

For a hanging idle, check your pilot screw adjustment, check for external air leaks, check the vacuum release plate mentioned above, and check for tight intake valves.

• Dirtysnow

Posted July 04, 2010 - 05:47 PM

No. It might cause decel backfiring, though.

For a hanging idle, check your pilot screw adjustment, check for external air leaks, check the vacuum release plate mentioned above, and check for tight intake valves.

Thanks. I went out and checked the plate, no cracks that I can see. I'm going to order a carb rebuild kit. I think the o-ring from the carb to the air boot transition is the culprit. It was wet when I pulled it out.

Anybody know where I can find the stock jetting specs? This is a friend's bike and I don't have a manual. I found a 168 main, 42 pilot, and OBEJ-P needle on the middle (4th) clip.

• grayracer513

Posted July 04, 2010 - 06:08 PM

Now, you have a manual:

http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp

Look in section 2, or look here:

http://www.thumperta...881#post6980881

• Dirtysnow

Posted July 04, 2010 - 06:44 PM

Thanks Gray! You guys are awesome :)

• grayracer513

Posted July 04, 2010 - 06:53 PM

Am not. :banana:

:)

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 05, 2010 - 04:25 AM

I'm searching for an air leak and I think I found one near the air boot from the filter to the carb. But I also noticed the exhaust gasket from the header to the midpipe is almost completely worn out. I can slip the midpipe off with the clamp tight. Would this also cause the idle to hang? Thanks in advance!

In most cases a "hanging" idle results from an intake boot leak between the carb and cyl. An intake leak on the air filter side, while not good will not exibit your issue as the fuel has not yet been atomized with air at this point in the flow. I've never experienced this issue with a dirt bike, but it's far more common on vintage street motorcycles. Spray some carb cleaner around the intake boot, and listen for an abrupt change in engine rpm's, if so, now you found your air leak.

• Dirtysnow

Posted July 05, 2010 - 08:15 AM

In most cases a "hanging" idle results from an intake boot leak between the carb and cyl. An intake leak on the air filter side, while not good will not exibit your issue as the fuel has not yet been atomized with air at this point in the flow. I've never experienced this issue with a dirt bike, but it's far more common on vintage street motorcycles. Spray some carb cleaner around the intake boot, and listen for an abrupt change in engine rpm's, if so, now you found your air leak.

That's a good point. So it's most likely the boot on the cylinder, or one of the hot/cold start plungers???

• milk

Posted July 05, 2010 - 03:24 PM

ok i feel really dumb asking this but does anyone have a pic or number to refer to on the parts diagram of the vacuum release plate? i can't find it in my manual anywhere. :\

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 05, 2010 - 04:50 PM

Item #11:

http://oem.thumperta..._carburetor.gif

• milk

Posted July 05, 2010 - 05:06 PM

ah, ok... thank you. i was having a problem along these lines too but i think my problem was a small pilot. i went up a size but still putting my bike back together atm so i haven't been able to try it yet. my vacuum plate is in correctly so hopefully it was my pilot jet.

• Dirtysnow

Posted July 05, 2010 - 06:56 PM

ah, ok... thank you. i was having a problem along these lines too but i think my problem was a small pilot. i went up a size but still putting my bike back together atm so i haven't been able to try it yet. my vacuum plate is in correctly so hopefully it was my pilot jet.

Let us know what happens. I've narrowed my issue down to a lean pilot too. It has a white bros r-4 pipe and stock jetting. I'm also getting a loud pop when trying to start it so I'm going to check the valve clearances and buy a new midpipe connection gasket.

*Just to clarify, I shouldn't be able to spin/remove the midpipe with the clamp tightened right?

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 06, 2010 - 08:05 AM

ok i feel really dumb asking this but :\

Never a dumb question, but beware of dumb answers ! LOL :)

• jcm3

Posted July 06, 2010 - 02:27 PM

Experiencing a little bit of this myself, so following along.

Bump. :)

• Baldwin

Posted August 11, 2014 - 04:46 AM

I had a bad hanging idle on my 426.  It did it worse as the bike got hotter to the point that it wouldn't even engine brake when I let off the gas - the idle just stayed high or climbed.  It got to the point that I would have to shut the bike off any time I came to a stop because it would idle so damn high. 

Here is what I did and it solved the issue completely.  The bike now comes back down to idle as if it were new.  Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

1. Went up one size on the main and pilot jets (165 and 45, stock is 162 and 42) - I don't think the size increase is necessarily required, but I wanted to jet up anyway.  The key is to just get new and clean jets - especially the primary.  I think mine were the originals, 12 years old, and full of buildup from sitting with old gas.

2. Replace the gasket that goes around the slide plate.  Part#  4FN-14997-00-00  -  SEAL   My seal was rippled around the edges when I took it apart...Like the edges of a bacon strip.  The new on laid flat and tight.  Just be careful putting it on because it's delicate and make sure you have it facing the right way.  Compare it with the one that's on there.

She now purrs like a kitten now and starts second kick - hot or cold.  

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2014 - 07:02 AM

2.    My seal was rippled around the edges when I took it apart...Like the edges of a bacon strip. 

Pilot jets can be cleaned, but that was probably your only problem.  The vacuum release plate seal normally looks like what you described after it's been used, but most of them will return to their proper shape once allowed to dry for 10-12 hours.  Then again, they're cheap, and a new one wouldn't hurt.

• Baldwin

Posted August 11, 2014 - 07:30 AM

That's kind of what I figured, too.  But better just change everything for the little cost and time while I have the carb apart.

So get this...I finally get out on the trails this weekend and the bike is running mint and I was loving it after having this idle issue for so long...And then I stalled it in some tight single track and look down to see fuel pouring out of the bottom of the carb - a nice steady stream.  The drain screw had come out on it's own...FML.  Finally get it running right and my day is cut short because of a simple little screw....

If it's not one thing it's another!  But at least this time it's a simple fix.

PS.  Big thanks to everyone contributing on TT.  The database of info here is incredible

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2014 - 09:06 AM

That screw is a special part, if I'm not mistaken.  It has a tapered point so that it seats against and closes the drain passage in the bowl.  Be sure you order it by part number.

• Baldwin

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:55 AM

You're correct.  I think it's unique to the 2001-2002 426.  

I originally thought any FCR drain bolt would do, but I was wrong.

Part # is:  3TJ-14191-40-00   DRAIN PLUG

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.