what year WR450 best to make street legal

9 replies to this topic
  • bultaco18

Posted July 04, 2010 - 02:35 PM

hey guys,

been looking into what bike to buy for a dual sport bike, and decided on plating a WR450.
i wanted light weight and power.

just going to be blasting dirt roads, two tracks and some single tracks.
have a bad back and can't play in the really rough stuff anymore.

i'm going to buy used, is there a better year to buy then others, or did they make any improvements after a certain year ?

appreciate your help, thx!

dave
sw mich.

Edited by bultaco18, July 04, 2010 - 05:45 PM.

• panaman

Posted July 05, 2010 - 04:22 AM

i would say 2007 and up.......
i wouldn't say that they make a better or worse dualsport than the previous years... but they are more updated... new frame and stuff.....

• bultaco18

Posted July 05, 2010 - 05:05 AM

i would say 2007 and up.......
i wouldn't say that they make a better or worse dualsport than the previous years... but they are more updated... new frame and stuff.....

thx!
thats what i was looking for.

dave

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 05, 2010 - 09:10 AM

I think all the wr's are great. But with the back problem you have, I'd be looking for the best handling WR, which would mean the aluminum frame ones (07 and up)

btw... I have an 05, which is a great, great bike. I take it in the rough stuff and its no problem. If you have longer legs with at least a 32 inch inseam, I'd strongly consider a steel framed one if you run across a really good deal.

hey guys,

been looking into what bike to buy for a dual sport bike, and decided on plating a WR450.
i wanted light weight and power.

just going to be blasting dirt roads, two tracks and some single tracks.
have a bad back and can't play in the really rough stuff anymore.

i'm going to buy used, is there a better year to buy then others, or did they make any improvements after a certain year ?

appreciate your help, thx!

dave
sw mich.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 05, 2010 - 11:58 AM

I'm going against the grain on this one.

I think the '04-'06 bikes make the best dual sporters simply because they have more oil capacity.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaxPower

Posted July 05, 2010 - 05:29 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I have a 04 and I would go for the newer aluminum frame bike
The steel frame bikes are just so big and heavy
It does go through the whoops really good though
[/COLOR]

• Butta

Posted July 05, 2010 - 06:36 PM

I've got an '05 plated........works awesome! I think the aluminum frame kick is also a pain in the arse to do any motor work when compared to the steel framed bikes. Find the best deal and pull the trigger, they're all good past '03 (and the only prob with '03 is the weak woodruff key--easy fix!)

• AnimalDan

Posted July 06, 2010 - 11:32 PM

[COLOR="Green"]The steel frame bikes are just so big and heavy
[/COLOR]

Check the Yamaha data sheets. The aluminum frame bikes are no lighter than the steel frame bikes. They weigh the same although the aluminum frame is recognized as handling slightly better. JSan and MauriceD are right on, I am partial to the 05 and 06.

• Ivan Krashn

Posted July 07, 2010 - 08:25 PM

FWIW the factory dry weight is 1 lb heavier for the aluminum framed '07 than the steel framed '06. I have an '06 and have ridden the '07. The difference is slight and the aluminum frame buries the carb making it harder to work on. Just saying, don't pass up a good deal on a steel frame WR.

• bultaco18

Posted July 08, 2010 - 06:03 AM

thx guys for all the info.

looks like their all good....

found a nice 07.

dave

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.